Thread poster: Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
French to English
Dec 6, 2007

Hi,

I've been freelancing for a couple of years now, and until today have never come across a file with the extension .ttx. A client has just sent me a large batch of Word and Powerpoint files to translate, some of which are accompnied by another file of the same name but with .ttx on the end. From a bit of googling, I think they have something to do with Trados, but I don't know what.

My CAT tool is MetaTexis, which is able to import TMs and glossaries in TMX and text
... See more
Hi,

I've been freelancing for a couple of years now, and until today have never come across a file with the extension .ttx. A client has just sent me a large batch of Word and Powerpoint files to translate, some of which are accompnied by another file of the same name but with .ttx on the end. From a bit of googling, I think they have something to do with Trados, but I don't know what.

My CAT tool is MetaTexis, which is able to import TMs and glossaries in TMX and text format, and apparently is also able to deal with tagged documents, though I've never used it for that.

Can anyone explain to me what a .ttx file is, and how I might go about using it without Trados?

Thanks,

Rob
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
Tagged Dec 6, 2007

A .ttx is a Trados Tag Editor file.
I suppose it can be converted, but I don't know how.

What file format does MetaTexis use for tagged files?

Perhaps you can open in in Notepad or Wordpad ( I have MS Office in Dutch, don't know the English name), to see if the content matches any of the documents you've already got. It could be that this file is actually the same text in a different format.

Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:56
English to French
TTX is... Dec 6, 2007

... a Word or Excel file (or other format) translated with TagEditor.
You can open and edit the file with TagEditor and save the bilingual file in a ttx format.
You can also save the translated document (only target language) in it's original format (Word, Excel) if you use the menu : file>save target as>
HTH

Louise

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
ttx is an exchange format between applications Dec 6, 2007

It can be used as a common format to import/export TM from/into various Cat Tool ; see if yours has an import feature.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TTX = Trados tag format Dec 6, 2007

Margreet's answer is spot on:

A .ttx is a Trados Tag Editor file.

Correct - "TTX" stands for "Trados tag" format, a specific type of XML file used by TagEditor.

... a Word or Excel file (or other format) translated with TagEditor.

Yes, but not just that - TTX supports a multitude of underlying source formats.

ttx is an exchange format between applications

Nope - I guess you were thinking of TMX (Translation Memory Interchange) format.

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:56
Spanish
+ ...
TagEditor Dec 6, 2007

A ttx file is a TagEditor bilingual file; just like a Document [MetaTexis].doc file. You should be able to translate a TagEditor file with Metatexis but only with the NET/Office version, not the Pro version. Just click Open from the Metatexis toolbar and open the *.ttx file, you'll see the tagged file in Word. Then click on Open Next and you'll be prompted to choose the document type, TRADOS TagEditor (ttx) is the last one on the list.

Good luck,

Claudia

Rob Grayson
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 6, 2007

Thanks for all your replies - I think it's clear now. Thanks in particular to Claudia for the MetaTexis guidance!

Rob

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TTX = Trados TagEditor Dec 7, 2007

Rob Grayson wrote:
My CAT tool is MetaTexis, which is able to import TMs and glossaries in TMX and text format...

Apples and oranges. TTX files aren't memory files, they are source files. Metatexis can import Trados memory files. I think Metatexis can also work on certain Trados source files called "uncleaned" files, but AFAIK it doesn't handle TTX files.

Manual tagging is explained in an appendix in the Wordfast manual, and I suspect the same tagging can be used in Metatexis.

Otherwise, just tell the client you don't have TagEditor. It is a stupid format anyway (but that is just my opinion). I translate TTX files in Wordfast, via tagging, but you also have to prepare the files, and for that you need Trados.

There is a tool called TTXpress which can convert between TTX and RTF and back, but it doesn't always work. Still, it's free, so try it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some more points Dec 7, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Convert it to what? There is no need to convert a TTX file if you translate it in another tool. It is pure XML. Simply to an autotranslate in Trados (source equals target) and then open the TTX file in Notepad (or your favourite XML editor).

What file format does MetaTexis use for tagged files?

RTF, I think. Metatexis is an MS Word macro/plugin/thingy, so it would probably use uncleaned files for tagged text, just like Wordfast.

nordiste wrote:
TTX is an exchange format between applications. It can be used as a common format to import/export TM from/into various Cat Tools.

I agree with Ralf... you must be confusing TTX with TMX.

Claudia Alvis wrote:
A ttx file is a TagEditor bilingual file...

If you'll permit me to nitpick here... not all TTX files are bilingual. They are bilingual when they've been translated, but often TTX files provided by a client are monolingual -- I mean, that they do not contain placeholders for target text at all. But that's details... if Metatexis can import TTX then it can probably insert target text placeholders too.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
sorry, my mistake Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the correction - I was thinking TMX .

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tools for TTX Dec 11, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Convert it to what? There is no need to convert a TTX file if you translate it in another tool. It is pure XML. Simply to an autotranslate in Trados (source equals target) and then open the TTX file in Notepad (or your favourite XML editor).

Sam is right, but it can be intimidating to edit a tagged format if you haven't done it before.

I'm surprised noone mentioned TTXpress yet:
http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html

I guess the main purpose of TTXpress is to provide an interface where you can use Wordfast. Used together, it's a slightly more user-friendly environment.

/Jan

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keep the customer informed, at any rate Dec 15, 2007

Rob Grayson wrote:

Can anyone explain to me what a .ttx file is, and how I might go about using it without Trados?

Does your customer expect you to use TRADOS or they know that you don't use TRADOS and have accepted the risk of possible conversion problems?

Daniel

Rob Grayson
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
The customer is informed Dec 15, 2007

dgmaga wrote:

Does your customer expect you to use TRADOS or they know that you don't use TRADOS and have accepted the risk of possible conversion problems?

Daniel

Yes, they've known all along that I don't use Trados and this is not a problem.

Rob

CATHERINE GROSY
CATHERINE GROSY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Conversion of TTX file into a Word document May 18, 2014

Hello,

Does anyone know how to convert a TTX file into a Word document? I have been sent a TTX file to translate by an Agency. I opened it with Trados, translated it and saved the target text as usual but it has turned out to be also a TTX file and I cannot open it in Word to re-read it and send it back.

I'm puzzled - and slightly worried as my version of Trados is very outdated...

Cathy

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:56
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Discussed before May 19, 2014

The topic is discusses here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180400-convert_ttx_file_to_txt_rtf_doc_without_original.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's a TTX file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »