Thread poster: Yves Minssart
Yves Minssart
Yves Minssart  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:14
German to French
+ ...
Feb 25, 2019

Hello, I use Trados 2019 and, since I intend to work in different cities, I wonder if I can use Trados 2019 on several different PCs, so I don't need to bring my own PC on each city. If not, can you mention me an "online CAT tool" allowing me to translate without Trados? Thanks in advance!

Yoana Ivanova
Yoana Ivanova  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:14
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
technically yes Feb 25, 2019

Yves Minssart wrote:

Hello, I use Trados 2019 and, since I intend to work in different cities, I wonder if I can use Trados 2019 on several different PCs, so I don't need to bring my own PC on each city. If not, can you mention me an "online CAT tool" allowing me to translate without Trados? Thanks in advance!

That depends on what kind of license you have. If you got the Freelance Plus package, you can have Trados on two separate computers without a problem. If not, the other solution is to deactivate your license on one computer and activate it on the other every time you go somewhere. That might become a hassle, if you have to do it very frequently.

As far as I know SmartCAT can be used online, but I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Also Wordfast Anywhere, but again, haven't tried it. I've only used Trados 2019 and CafeTran.

[Edited at 2019-02-25 10:07 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Remote access Feb 25, 2019

A (1) secure connection and (2) properly configured remote desktop access should do nicely, providing the main PC/notebooks is working.

Regarding online/web-based/cloud solutions--
Mind the NDA!

MoSpa
MoSpa
Germany
Local time: 10:14
English to German
CafeTran Feb 25, 2019

If you have a Proz Plus membership you can use CafeTran on as many computers as you want as the license is not connected to any machine but to your membership. CafeTran runs on your PC just like Trados (i.e. it is not an online tool). As for online tools there is also Matecat which is free but it has limited functionality like most web-based tools.

Michele Fauble

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Search the forum Feb 26, 2019

There's been a thread including a comprehensive list of online CAT tools with respective links. Just search the forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online CATtool for working in different cities

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »