Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
When is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Fud Oct 23, 2018

When I see anyone who puts PhD after their name I always think they must have an inferiority complex. Like they're trying to prove something to a world that just doesn't appreciate them. Look at me ! Look at me! I did a PhD !

These days nearly everyone who teaches anywhere has a PhD - so it isn't impressive to have one.

Jorge Payan

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:36
French to English
+ ...
Poor Elmer Oct 23, 2018

Tom, I can only assume you haven't discussed this theory in Scotland.

Irene McClure

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
in China Oct 23, 2018

Rita Pang wrote:

David GAY wrote:
I think you don't fully understand the meaning of the word pension because it's almost non existent in China.
Given the fact that you have worked in all these countries, I think the amount of your pension will be close to zero.

Please research before commenting.

In terms of jurisdiction, Hong Kong belongs to China, but the two have very different pension systems. It's actually almost non-existent in Hong Kong but very much alive in China. I happen to live and work in the former. I am doing quite fine and there are many ways for one to invest and save towards future retirement without being employed by another company. I would suggest that you stop assuming that others are struggling without your advice. It's highly condescending.

[Edited at 2018-10-22 19:16 GMT]

I thought that HK is more developed than mainland China. I don't doubt that there are many ways to invest and save for your pension in HK but it just means you need to save money each month on what you earn. And even though state pensions do exist in mainland China, I guess their amount would be too low to survive in a country like Canada.

[Modifié le 2018-10-23 09:12 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-10-23 09:33 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Revenons à nos moutons Oct 23, 2018

To return to the original question - "Is it ever OK to pretend you've got a PhD":
No, I don't think it's OK (or, indeed, wise) to pretend to have qualifications or diplomas you don't really have, if only for the prosaic reason that you'll look and feel a fool if it ever emerges that you don't have them.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Prestige Versus Accomplishment? Oct 23, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

When I see anyone who puts PhD after their name I always think they must have an inferiority complex. Like they're trying to prove something to a world that just doesn't appreciate them. Look at me ! Look at me! I did a PhD !

This is more a case of "Look at me, I started a PhD 20 years ago!"

These days nearly everyone who teaches anywhere has a PhD - so it isn't impressive to have one.

Yes, sure. That's why one has to look and see where they got their PhD from! This person did complete a bachelor's degree from the Australian National University. This must be why they insist on parading their unfinished PhD from the same institution! Is it a matter of prestige versus accomplishment then?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Glass houses Oct 23, 2018

So, Dylan, it's not okay for someone to claim they studied for a PhD when they didn't complete it, but it's okay for you to claim you are an "award-winning literary translator" in your profile when in fact you were the runner-up?!

Jorge Payan

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Runner-up is still an award Oct 23, 2018

Chris S wrote:

So, Dylan, it's not okay for someone to claim they studied for a PhD when they didn't complete it, but it's okay for you to claim you are an "award-winning literary translator" in your profile when in fact you were the runner-up?!

I’ll be attending the awards ceremony in January.

The prize money has already been paid into my bank account.

Good point though. The same translator claims to be a literary expert.

Thanks for checking out my profile.

I couldn’t have been any more transparent, literally stating: Award-winning literary translator (BKKLIT 2018 Translation Prize runner-up)

[Edited at 2018-10-23 19:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-10-27 18:45 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:36
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Pretty much the same situation Oct 24, 2018

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

Chris S wrote:

I couldn’t have been any more transparent, literally stating: Award-winning literary translator (BKKLIT 2018 Translation Prize runner-up)

Well, then we came to full circle.
This is from your initial post:
If you read in the highlights of someone's ProZ.com profile "...[xyz studies] at PhD level..."

This is transparent exactly the same way as your own statement. It does not state the person received/earned a PhD, only that he/she took PhD-level courses, which is true. To me, it does not look deceptive.

Sheila Wilson
Michele Fauble
Mirko Mainardi
Viviane Marx

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Best to be honest Oct 24, 2018

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, keeping me honest....

The profile in question has added 3yr PhD to their credentials.

from my first post:

If you read in the highlights of someone's ProZ.com profile "...[xyz studies] at PhD level..." what would you think?

99% would assume this person finished their PhD, am I right?

So, when is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?

[Edited at 2018-10-24 05:19 G
... See more
Thanks for keeping me on my toes, keeping me honest....

The profile in question has added 3yr PhD to their credentials.

from my first post:

If you read in the highlights of someone's ProZ.com profile "...[xyz studies] at PhD level..." what would you think?

So, when is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?

[Edited at 2018-10-24 05:19 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Transparency Oct 24, 2018

Honesty

[Edited at 2018-10-24 05:18 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Misleading title Oct 24, 2018

I came into this thread expecting a theoretic talk about "When is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?" and what I see instead in the initial message is a specific example that has almost no bearing on this topic.

Trying to mix both topics into one creates a confusing discussion, and I find this quite misleading.

Please define what "pretending" and "lying" means, because, I don't see how the phrasing "...[xyz studies] at PhD level..." can qualify as such an action, with
... See more
I came into this thread expecting a theoretic talk about "When is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?" and what I see instead in the initial message is a specific example that has almost no bearing on this topic.

Trying to mix both topics into one creates a confusing discussion, and I find this quite misleading.

Please define what "pretending" and "lying" means, because, I don't see how the phrasing "...[xyz studies] at PhD level..." can qualify as such an action, within the given context (the author having studied at PhD level).

If anything, it just shows a certain way with words. In regular CV/profile practice, it's not what I would call misrepresenting oneself, so I really don't understand what seems to me like an almost obsessive bashing of the example's author in various points of this thread. What gives?

And, what's the topic here?

Is it about "When is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?" or about giving a personal appraisal of the example's author supposed level of "deceptiveness"?

Because both can't be answered at the same time. You can't be asked one question to answer another, completely different one.

---

As for the rampant "titulitis", I have already shared my point of view in another thread:

"Certification constitutes a form of market manipulation and is plausible only to a schooled mind." - Ivan Illich (Deschooling society)

[Edited at 2018-10-24 05:56 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Arabic & More
Michele Fauble
Mirko Mainardi

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Modality: I can swim ≠ I like to swim ≠ I'm swimming ≠ I swim like a fish Oct 24, 2018

Jean is talking: I also can't see how "[studied X years] at a PhD level" turned into an alleged "professor" somehow, nor where "99%" assuming came from, let alone what it might have to do with translation or some local contests and specialized titles.

To me, a phrase "[studied X years] at a PhD level" implies a past fact--an activity [once] in progress, so now it's important to update the status, if any. How is it different from a "four year" remark in a CV by a fourth-year student
... See more
Jean is talking: I also can't see how "[studied X years] at a PhD level" turned into an alleged "professor" somehow, nor where "99%" assuming came from, let alone what it might have to do with translation or some local contests and specialized titles.

To me, a phrase "[studied X years] at a PhD level" implies a past fact--an activity [once] in progress, so now it's important to update the status, if any. How is it different from a "four year" remark in a CV by a fourth-year student or a dropout? If it was true at that time, he either (1) has completed the Curriculum and graduated from the uni, or (2) it's just stating of the fact he did study, but has not finished. Where is a lie or harm exactly? A simple question will put everything into place.

However, as far as Dylan did try to address the "issue" via the uni, I'd like to hear from them too
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
This is not pretending to have a PhD Oct 24, 2018

99% would assume this person finished their PhD, am I right? Why would anyone dare be so brazen, right?

I would assume that the person had studied for a PhD but not completed it. I think most people would assume the same unless they really weren't paying attention, so I don't see this as deceptive. The studies may also be relevant and worth mentioning because of the knowledge gained. So what's the problem?

Sheila Wilson
Georgie Scott
Susan Andrew
Irene McClure
Roni_S
Michal Fabian
Arabic & More

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Enough already Oct 24, 2018

I couldn’t have been any more transparent

Well, yes, you could have been.
I think 99% of people would take award-winning to mean that you were the winner, not that you came second. (Well done, by the way.)
My point is that everyone adjusts the content and wording of their CV to make them look as good as possible.

From the replies in this thread, clearly not...

So it might be time to back down and show some of AUSIT's "professional solidarity"!

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
In conclusion Oct 24, 2018

Chris S wrote:

From the replies in this thread, clearly not...

So it might be time to back down and show some of AUSIT's "professional solidarity"!

I think the question was worth posting, as a fair number of people have mentioned that it’s not okay to exaggerate credentials.

Professional solidarity:

Ethical principle:
Interpreters and translators respect and support their fellow professionals and they uphold the reputation and trustworthiness of the profession of interpreting and translating.

I began this thread questioning whether an ambiguous and misleading statement was ethical. I would suggest that openly discussing the matter was in fact contributing to ‘professional solidarity’.

In conclusion, I believe that clients should ask to check copies of credentials because there may be many more examples of this, if of course they believe tertiary studies are even required or important.

Many have argued that a PhD isn’t required in our profession. Sure, I agree. On the other hand, many have stated that such ambiguous claims can only backfire if (and when) clients ask to see copies of credentials.

@Chris trying to draw a counter-example with my prize is not equivalent, because a) I’ve actually been awarded a prize (didn’t just ‘take part’ in a competition) and b) immediately after it I’ve stated runner-up.

Thanks for everyone else’s contributions to this thread!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When is it okay to pretend you've got a PhD?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »