Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
perfect writing Oct 19, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I think someone who translates into a language should have a perfect command of that language...

I don't think there is any such thing as 'perfect command' of a language.
A language is a living, moody beast, and its use and grammar never certain.
There are lots of ways to skin a cat; personally, I prefer a concise message that doesn't waste words or get caught up in woolly sidetracks, but others may differ.

Either way, this blog doesn't hit the mark, and the message doesn't live up to the pretentiousness of its verbosity.

Robert Forstag
Amany Saeed

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:07
English to Italian
Impeccable Oct 20, 2018

Richard Purdom wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I think someone who translates into a language should have a perfect command of that language...

I don't think there is any such thing as 'perfect command' of a language.
A language is a living, moody beast, and its use and grammar never certain.
There are lots of ways to skin a cat; personally, I prefer a concise message that doesn't waste words or get caught up in woolly sidetracks, but others may differ.

My "perfect command" was simply meant as a paraphrase of "impeccable" as used by Robert, in the same context.

Just to make a classic example, I often read English native speakers who (repeatedly) use "it's" instead of "its" (or "of" instead of "have", "who's" instead of "whose", etc.). Well, I believe those speakers would hardly produce "impeccable" work when translating, or just writing, into English, while similar errors could simply "look bad" if they were to give business advice to someone else.

In other words, my point was that in order to offer translation services into a language, your competence and performance skills should both be "perfect" (in potency), while in order to give advice about conducting a business, neither is actually (strictly) required. All this irrespective of language style or evolution awareness, which are obviously also important, but different, aspects.

Amany Saeed

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:07
German to English
+ ...
advising blogs Oct 20, 2018

In order of importance, if advice is being given which will probably be read primarily by novices, then the content matters even more than correctness of form (grammar, language quality). That latter can be an object lesson of sorts when it gets discussed.

I cannot agree with the first point made, that translation skills are of secondary importance, and being able to solve a client's problems is of first importance. To begin with, we are not hired as consultants, who have their ow
... See more
In order of importance, if advice is being given which will probably be read primarily by novices, then the content matters even more than correctness of form (grammar, language quality). That latter can be an object lesson of sorts when it gets discussed.

I cannot agree with the first point made, that translation skills are of secondary importance, and being able to solve a client's problems is of first importance. To begin with, we are not hired as consultants, who have their own skill set, and who also charge per hour. At least as important is the fact that clients are hiring us for a translation service, and to produce a product that they can use, the translation. Any question by new clients hinged on my abilities as a translator. In fact, going into other spheres such as critiquing a client's blog or sales pitch might be seen as unwanted, invasive, (maybe insulting) and outside of the parameters of the work. In fact, are we qualified to play such a role? Secondly, even if by chance you are - if you are hired to translate a one page document for which you might charge between $30 and $50 - do you really want to spend 4 or 5 hours doing consultancy work for those $50?

My impression is that this advice comes from a source that deals with entrepreneurship in general, and not translation specifically.

In considering whether translation skills are secondary in importance, I think we should also explore what translation skills consist of. For me it begins with knowing the client's purpose for the document, who will be reading that document, and in what country. Translation skill (imho) consists of knowing what questions to ask to that end, and then have the abilities to render a product that meets these parameters. You then have your translation training so that you know how to translate, check your work toward what criteria, have sufficient expertise in the subject area (including knowing when to say no because you don't have the expertise), as well as the required proficiency in both languages. The ability to do quality translations must be coupled with a willingness to do your best for each and every client. In our modern world, such attitudes can be sadly rare in any field. This will indeed lead to word-of-mouth and repeat customers. To me all of this is part of one package called "translation skills".

I'd be interested in the OP's thoughts on this.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
sweets to the sweet Oct 22, 2018

Besides ever increasing "best-rates-discounts-pay-after-three-some-months" and other damping and servile "win-and-silence-them-all" trends, the translation field is not very different from any other biz, where they offer not manpower, know-hows, or skills, but "solutions". However, full-grown--Oops!--seasoned translators are old enough to forget that newcomers not only don't know many things yet, but also don't know what and where to start looking for--this is where simple leading ... See more
Besides ever increasing "best-rates-discounts-pay-after-three-some-months" and other damping and servile "win-and-silence-them-all" trends, the translation field is not very different from any other biz, where they offer not manpower, know-hows, or skills, but "solutions". However, full-grown--Oops!--seasoned translators are old enough to forget that newcomers not only don't know many things yet, but also don't know what and where to start looking for--this is where simple leading questions come to the rescue.

Of course, some may disagree such three questions like those are the most important at the very beginning for newbie translators, yet it took me just a cup of coffee, what seems a good start
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3 fatal errors to avoid when you're starting

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »