Chinese to English Translation Qualifications for New Translators with Little Experience
Thread poster: Dickson Man
Dickson Man
Dickson Man
Local time: 16:22
Chinese to English
Mar 17, 2019

Hello all,

I am currently studying a bachelor’s degree that is not related to translation in Hong Kong, but I have been working as a contracted translator for a novel translation company for almost two years now. I am currently considering about taking a qualification exam for Chinese to English translation as it seems that having qualifications will give me a slight head start if I do pursue further in the career path of translation.

After a bit of online research, t
... See more
Hello all,

I am currently studying a bachelor’s degree that is not related to translation in Hong Kong, but I have been working as a contracted translator for a novel translation company for almost two years now. I am currently considering about taking a qualification exam for Chinese to English translation as it seems that having qualifications will give me a slight head start if I do pursue further in the career path of translation.

After a bit of online research, there does not seem to be any qualification tests for people like me. The ATA certification requires a translation-related degree or a few years of full-time translation work, while the DipTrans seems too far-fetched right now given that it is on the same level as a master’s degree. I have considered about taking the DipTrans in a year and have started some preparations, but I personally do not believe it is enough to pass the DipTrans exam. I am studying the notes I got from someone who completed a BA in Translation, as well as translating articles online that have both Chinese and English versions then comparing mine to theirs.

As I am currently studying a bachelor’s degree already, it might be tough for me to take another online diploma or degree at the same time. My experience as a novel translator is also not at a professional level as the entry requirements are relatively low, and it is likely that it does not really count as professional translation experience. Should I be training myself and applying for online DipTrans courses (if they are available), then go for the DipTrans, or perhaps apply for online courses after I graduate from my current degree? It would be great if there are other translation qualifications for the Chinese to English pair that are on the level of a BA in Translation, but I cannot seem to find one.

Thank you in advance for all your advice.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:22
Chinese to English
+ ...
Postgraduate certificate Mar 17, 2019

Hku space offers a postgraduate certificate and a diploma. The academic work for the certificate is a joke, but people don't need to know. The diploma might be more involved.

At the end of the day, it's just a spring board to get you started. It ceases to matter once you have a few years under your belt.

[Edited at 2019-03-17 15:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese to English Translation Qualifications for New Translators with Little Experience

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »