aMicaTranslate
aMicaTranslate
Malta
Local time: 05:54
Member (2014)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Oct 30, 2020

I have been approached by an agency with an offer of a translation project of EU documents. I was asked if I possess a 'translator security clearance certificate'. This is the first time I was asked for such a certificate. Has anyone who is a freelance translator working within the EU ever been asked to produce such a certificate? If anyone can provide information about what it is and how it can be obtained, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Aline Amorim
Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis
Morano El-Kholy

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 04:54
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (PSCC) Oct 30, 2020

I have been contacted also by an agency which is participating in a tender and requested that certificate, which seems to be this one:
https://um.fi/documents/35732/48132/psc_requestform/cd151a10-5b38-87a4-9745-3e24b5bbd670?t=1525647176505

The PSCC means the following:

"Personnel Security Clearance Cer
... See more
I have been contacted also by an agency which is participating in a tender and requested that certificate, which seems to be this one:
https://um.fi/documents/35732/48132/psc_requestform/cd151a10-5b38-87a4-9745-3e24b5bbd670?t=1525647176505

The PSCC means the following:

"Personnel Security Clearance Certificate’ (PSCC) means a certificate issued by a competent authority establishing that an individual holds a valid security clearance or a security authorisation issued by the Commission Security Authority and which shows the level of EUCI to which that individual may be granted access (CONFIDENTIEL UE/EU CONFIDENTIAL or above), the period of validity of the relevant security clearance or authorisation and the date of expiry of the certificate itself."
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32015D0444&print=true

Along with this, you need to send other documents and fill them. Honestly, I have never heard about this certificate.
Also, I don't use to apply for EU tenders. Nobody can guarantee that this relevant company will win that public tender.
I'm surprised there is not much information about this document online.

[Edited at 2020-10-30 17:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-30 17:14 GMT]
Collapse

aMicaTranslate

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is this a new thing? Oct 30, 2020

In have been translating EU documents, both directly and through two agencies, for over 20 years and so far I haven’t been asked for such a document…

aMicaTranslate
expressisverbis

aMicaTranslate
aMicaTranslate
Malta
Local time: 05:54
Member (2014)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 31, 2020

Thanks to all for your help. Your comments were truely helpful.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Could be... Oct 31, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

In have been translating EU documents, both directly and through two agencies, for over 20 years and so far I haven’t been asked for such a document…

I also have worked through an agency in translating EU documentation before, but it is the first time I see this kind of request and certificate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator security clearance certificate to translate EU documents

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »