Netherlands
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Mar 1, 2018

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
Just found out that "Anchovy" by maxprograms is a TBX editor, and it's free.

If I understand correctly, Anchovy is not a TBX editor but a GlossML editor that can import and export TBX. I'm not sure if the TBX to GlossML to TBX conversions are lossless and pure.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yeah, it isn't really a TBX editor. Mar 1, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Just found out that "Anchovy" by maxprograms is a TBX editor, and it's free.

If I understand correctly, Anchovy is not a TBX editor but a GlossML editor that can import and export TBX. I'm not sure if the TBX to GlossML to TBX conversions are lossless and pure.

It also wouldn't open my Memsource TBX as Anchovy needs an ".xcs" (skeleton) file. I asked Memsource support about this. From quickly playing with the two, I think Goldpan looks more promising. But need to do more testing.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About TBX's XCS files Mar 1, 2018

It also wouldn't open my Memsource TBX as Anchovy needs an ".xcs" (skeleton) file.

What happens when you use the generic XCS file here:
http://www.ttt.org/oscarstandards/tbx/TBXBasic.zip

The Anchovy user manual has the lowdown on XCS files:

Term Base eXchange (TBX) is the open, XML-based standard for exchanging structured terminological data that has been approved as an international standard by LISA and ISO. It is also known as ISO 30042 standard. TBX is a framework that allows custom defi nition of terminology databases. It requires two files per terminology database: one file that defines the constraints and data cate gories to be used (the XCS file) and a second file containing the actual data (the TBX file).
TBX is available in two flavors:
1. TBX -- The official version released by ISO and LISA together. This version is based on two DTDs with a large set of XML elements and attributes. An extremely rich set of data categories is included in the default XCS file, designed to support multiple subjects through a large number of available fields.
2. TBX Basic -- A limited subset of TBX, which intends to simplify the complex set of options included in the standard one. This separate version published only by LISA has its own DTD and official data cate gories defined in a separate XCS file.

It would seem that there is such a thing as a "default XCS file" for the official LISA/ISO version, but who would know where that file is floating around on the interwebs?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks, I just tried that, but can't open it. Mar 2, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

It also wouldn't open my Memsource TBX as Anchovy needs an ".xcs" (skeleton) file.

What happens when you use the generic XCS file here:
http://www.ttt.org/oscarstandards/tbx/TBXBasic.zip

The Anchovy user manual has the lowdown on XCS files:

Term Base eXchange (TBX) is the open, XML-based standard for exchanging structured terminological data that has been approved as an international standard by LISA and ISO. It is also known as ISO 30042 standard. TBX is a framework that allows custom defi nition of terminology databases. It requires two files per terminology database: one file that defines the constraints and data cate gories to be used (the XCS file) and a second file containing the actual data (the TBX file).
TBX is available in two flavors:
1. TBX -- The official version released by ISO and LISA together. This version is based on two DTDs with a large set of XML elements and attributes. An extremely rich set of data categories is included in the default XCS file, designed to support multiple subjects through a large number of available fields.
2. TBX Basic -- A limited subset of TBX, which intends to simplify the complex set of options included in the standard one. This separate version published only by LISA has its own DTD and official data cate gories defined in a separate XCS file.

It would seem that there is such a thing as a "default XCS file" for the official LISA/ISO version, but who would know where that file is floating around on the interwebs?

...Nor can I open any of the example files in the zip folder. No wonder no one uses TBXs

I asked Logrus to help me get Goldpan to support Memsource's TBX flavour, and will report back if I hear back from them!

Michael

Ali Demir
Ali Demir
Türkiye
Local time: 18:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Free Online TBX Editor Jul 16, 2022

Free dictionory and tbx editor here,
Create and export, tbx and other format
https://www.termbases.eu

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day

I'm looking for a freeware TBX editor or TBX writer or TBX creator. TBX = TermBase eXchange format, as proposed by LISA.

I'm the virtual editor of an active terminology group and we are looking into the possibilities of reformatting our existing Foldoc-based glossary format to something more useful. And TBX would undoubtably be useful... if I can find a freeware editor for it.

I'm using Windows 95 and Windows 2000, although a working, user-friendly TBX editor in Linux would suffice.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2004-02-18 15:21]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Ali Jul 17, 2022

Ali Demir wrote:
Free dictionory and tbx editor here,
Create and export, tbx and other format
https://www.termbases.eu

Thanks for the information. Termbases.eu is a paid online TBX creator, converter and editor, with a free tier. The free tier is limited to 3 files of 3000 terms in total, and it's limited to "1 user" (whatever that means). The cheapest paid plan is EUR 600 per year (maximum 5 files, and 10 000 terms in total). I'm not sure how this qualifies as "freeware". (-:

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for freeware TBX editor

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »