Helios_Dang
Helios_Dang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 23:47
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Aug 6, 2013

Hi all,

My computer accidental shut down why I was working on a project in memoQ. After that, I re-started the computer and opened memoQ. I clicked to the project and the message below appeared. What should I do now?

"Unable to open document or project.
General error."

Details:

TYPE:
System.InvalidOperationException

There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

SOURCE:
System.Xml
... See more
Hi all,

My computer accidental shut down why I was working on a project in memoQ. After that, I re-started the computer and opened memoQ. I clicked to the project and the message below appeared. What should I do now?

"Unable to open document or project.
General error."

Details:

TYPE:

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
at Kilgray.Utils.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath)
at Kilgray.Utils.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML[ObjectType](String filePath)
at MemoQ.TEX.TermExtractionSessionsManager.LoadProjectTEXInfo(String projectDirectory)
at MemoQ.Project.ProjectDocument.OnOpenDocument(Object openParam)
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.DocTypeManager.c__DisplayClass7.b__6()
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.DocTypeManager.executeFromOpenErrorHandlingBlock(Func`1 func, Object openParam)
------------------ Inner exception ------------------

TYPE:
System.Xml.XmlException

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderTEXProjectInfo.Read5_TEXProjectInfo()
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Damaged file Aug 6, 2013

I’m not really expert about MemoQ, but the error message indicates a damaged file. I doubt that anything could be done about this. Recreate the project.

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 18:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TEX file damaged Aug 6, 2013

Hi Hang,

Please see the solution here.
http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00203/0/General-Error:-Corrupt-TermExtract-file.html

István

Helios_Dang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The solution works Aug 6, 2013

Thanks so much István Lengyel. This works. My project was fixed.

Thanks esperantisto for your kind support

[Edited at 2013-08-06 13:13 GMT]

Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Message to István Lengyel & Hang T Nguyen re solution for damaged xml file in MemoQ Nov 28, 2013

Hello István, I have the exact same problem as Hang had in August, to which you kindly proposed a solution. However, I am unclear as to which file I will have to delete, it is not clear from your post with the link to the Kilgray helpbase, sorry.
My popup message in MemoQ is copied below for reference

Please advise, thanks very much,

Jenny Duthie

Popup message in MemoQ when I try to open this project:

TYPE:
System.InvalidOperat
... See more
Hello István, I have the exact same problem as Hang had in August, to which you kindly proposed a solution. However, I am unclear as to which file I will have to delete, it is not clear from your post with the link to the Kilgray helpbase, sorry.
My popup message in MemoQ is copied below for reference

Please advise, thanks very much,

Jenny Duthie

Popup message in MemoQ when I try to open this project:

TYPE:

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at Kilgray.Utils.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath)
at Kilgray.Utils.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML[ObjectType](String filePath)
at MemoQ.TEX.TermExtractionSessionsManager.LoadProjectTEXInfo(String projectDirectory)
at MemoQ.Project.ProjectDocument.OnOpenDocument(Object openParam)
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.DocTypeManager.c__DisplayClass7.b__6()
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.DocTypeManager.executeFromOpenErrorHandlingBlock(Func`1 func, Object openParam)

TYPE:
System.Xml.XmlException

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderTEXProjectInfo.Read5_TEXProjectInfo()
Collapse

Helios_Dang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File to delete Nov 28, 2013

Delete this file:

TermExtract.xml

Dawn Ganu

Saleh Dardeer
Saleh Dardeer  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
TermExtract?? Jun 9, 2014

I am using version 6.8.58

I cannot find this "TermExtract.xml" file

I deleted translationmemory.xml file. However, the problem is not solved yet.

Any help?

TIA

Catarina Ramos
Catarina Ramos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 15, 2018

Helios_Dang wrote:

Delete this file:

TermExtract.xml

This just saved my life! Thank you!

Dawn Ganu

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Anticlimax Apr 29, 2018

Earlier this morning, I put the computer in sleep mode, MQ 2013 R2 and project open, with many strings changed and unconfirmed (rereading stage). So my latest changes weren't in the TM.
At wake-up, blue screen of death (Windows 7).
I restarted and this error popped up when trying to open the project.
Searched same error on the internet. Found this thread.

Tried the "delete TermExtract.xml" solution. Didn't work.

It's Sunday. I shouldn't be working but
... See more
Earlier this morning, I put the computer in sleep mode, MQ 2013 R2 and project open, with many strings changed and unconfirmed (rereading stage). So my latest changes weren't in the TM.
At wake-up, blue screen of death (Windows 7).
I restarted and this error popped up when trying to open the project.
Searched same error on the internet. Found this thread.

Tried the "delete TermExtract.xml" solution. Didn't work.

It's Sunday. I shouldn't be working but due to poor time management, I still have this to deliver first thing Monday.

I checked what project files had been changed today:
project.mprx
HandoffData.bin
DocumentData.sdf
MonolingualReview.xml
many Opt-XXX files

I opened DocumentData.sdf in Notepad and found out that my most recent changes were in there. At worst I could clean up a bit the txt format (coding havoc) and copy paste each segment after recreating a project... Very time consuming. The prospect of spending Sunday on this was all but exciting.

So besides deleting TermExtract.xml, I boldy decided to delete all other xml files with the latest modification date (actually not deleted but moved to another place). Of all files last modified at 10:07, I kept only project.mprx, HandoffData.bin and DocumentData.sdf.

Bingo.
I closed MQ, reopened it, clicked the project and got back to where I was at 10:07.

Moral of the story:
Update your TM (confirm and update rows) whenever you leave your computer. Or better still, close the project and backup project in the project list window.

Philippe
Collapse

Vanessa Correa
Vanessa Correa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have the same problem, ......Read78 Jun 15, 2018

A project was open on memoQ and energy went down.
When I reopened memoQ, all projects were missing. I was able to reopen all but one -- the one that was open when the energy went down.
The error is copied below --- I already deleted several xml files and nothing worked --- anyone has any ideas?
Thank you,
Vanessa

****memoq2015****
General error.

TYPE:

... See more
When I reopened memoQ, all projects were missing. I was able to reopen all but one -- the one that was open when the energy went down.
The error is copied below --- I already deleted several xml files and nothing worked --- anyone has any ideas?
Thank you,
Vanessa

****memoq2015****
General error.

TYPE:

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at MemoQ.Project.ProjectDocument.LoadProjectInfo(String filePath)

TYPE:
System.Xml.XmlException

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderProjectInfo.Read78_ProjectInfo()
Collapse

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Backups? Jun 26, 2018

Vanessa Correa wrote:

Thank you,
Vanessa

Well, if power supply were lost at the wrong moment, it may happen that your file could not be written properly, and it really get corrupted. I hope you have a backup (created either using a backup tool, or Windows's built in File History), otherwise you might not be able to get your file back. Still, you can contact memoQ Support to give a chance to your file to get fixed.

[Edited at 2018-06-26 09:58 GMT]

Olga Sendhardt
Olga Sendhardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Finnish to Russian
+ ...
Another possible solution Aug 14, 2018

I just had the same problem with not being able to open one of my projects in memoQ. What I got was "General error" with information that DocumentData.sdf is being used by another program. After trying to restart memoQ several times with the same result and closing it again, I opened Task Manager (Windows 10) -> Processes, just to see that for some reason memoQ is still running but not responding.

What helped in my case was clicking on the process, ending task and then reopening me
... See more
I just had the same problem with not being able to open one of my projects in memoQ. What I got was "General error" with information that DocumentData.sdf is being used by another program. After trying to restart memoQ several times with the same result and closing it again, I opened Task Manager (Windows 10) -> Processes, just to see that for some reason memoQ is still running but not responding.

What helped in my case was clicking on the process, ending task and then reopening memoQ. After that I was able to open the project again.
Collapse

Riikka Lagerberg
Wim Van Verre

Wim Van Verre
Wim Van Verre  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Gratitude Sep 8, 2023

Olga Sendhardt wrote:

What helped in my case was clicking on the process, ending task and then reopening memoQ. After that I was able to open the project again.

Simple yet effective. Thanks a bunch Olga!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open a project

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »