Thread poster: Jane Perkins
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:07
Danish to English
+ ...
Clarification Feb 19, 2018

You said: "So if I registered for VAT […] would I need to charge my clients VAT?"

I replied to that question.

The list of categories corresponds to your clients, not the supplier.

Sorry if this wasn't clear.

If you are VAT registered then you have to charge VAT or not according to that list, based on the different client categories.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Brexit Feb 19, 2018

PS: What I said applies to the UK being in the EU.

As yet nobody knows what Brexit is going to look like, but that UK seems likely to leave the VAT area. It is anyone's guess how cross-border VAT is going to be handled in the future.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You aren't operating in Spain - your client is Feb 19, 2018

Jessie LN wrote:
In the case of foreign traders, Spanish law makes distinctions based on the manner in
which they operate in Spain

So if I registered for VAT in order to comply with Spanish regulations, would I need to charge my clients VAT??!

We don't register for tax in every country where we have clients! I've worked with clients in 34 countries so far - it would be a monstrous task!

Your obligation is to your own tax authorities and it seems you've done the necessary in supplying a correct invoice. Let the client sort out their own (Spanish) tax obligations. All you need to do is be very wary of outsourcing work to VAT-registered suppliers, or ordering things like website design from them, as they'll be obliged to charge you their VAT and you won't be able to claim it back.

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Thomas & Sheila Feb 19, 2018

Thank you Thomas & Sheila! You can tell that taxation regulations are not my strong point!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intracommunity VAT (VIES) in Spain?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »