[SOLVED][MAC] Unable to create new project on Omega T
Thread poster: Brad Chang
Brad Chang
Brad Chang
Singapore
Local time: 16:50
Japanese to English
Aug 30, 2018

Hi, this is only an issue I encounter on Mac (it works fine on windows)

Screenshot 2018-08-30 16.14.07

I have tried using both Latest Version - OmegaT 4.1.5 update 1 and Standard Version - OmegaT 3.6.0 update 10. However, the same problem occurs when I try to create a new project file (Project>New...)

It seems that Omega T does not have the permission to create read or write files anywhere in my Macintosh HD.

I have ensured that all users (including the admin) are able to read and write on the desktop. I did this through Desktop>Get Info>Sharing & Permissions>Click on the lock and edit to "Read & Write"

However, it still doesn't allow Omega T to create a new project folder for me anywhere.

How do I change my permissions such as to allow it? I have read through official manuals and youtube videos but no other Mac user seems to have this issue.

Thanks in advance and cheers,

Jia-Geng

[Edited at 2018-08-30 08:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-30 08:21 GMT]

Brad Chang
Brad Chang
Singapore
Local time: 16:50
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
[ISSUE SOLVED] Aug 30, 2018

I created a new file in Macintosh HD and Omega T finally accepted it.

Screenshot 2018-08-30 16.42.07

I learned that it had a few requirements:
1. It had to be an empty folder
2. It had to be located as a folder directly in Macintosh HD (i.e., Macintosh HD>newfolder)

Happy translating

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 17:50
Japanese to French
+ ...
Bad solution Aug 30, 2018

The screenshot you added shows a Desktop folder right within Macintosh HD. A normal Macintosh HD does *not* have a Desktop folder here.

As shown on your screenshot, Macintosh HD has standard subfolders that have special icons:
→ Applications
→ System
→ Library
→ Users

A normal user does *not* have write access to that space (you need an admin access to write to the root of your disk).

Each user has full user access to a dedic
... See more
The screenshot you added shows a Desktop folder right within Macintosh HD. A normal Macintosh HD does *not* have a Desktop folder here.

As shown on your screenshot, Macintosh HD has standard subfolders that have special icons:
→ Applications
→ System
→ Library
→ Users

A normal user does *not* have write access to that space (you need an admin access to write to the root of your disk).

Each user has full user access to a dedicated subfolder within "Users".

Your personal user space is here:

Macintosh HD → Users → [your user name]

And here you have a hierarchy that basically goes like this:

[your user name]
→ Applications
→ Desktop
→ Documents
→ Downloads
→ Movies
→ Music
→ Pictures
→ Public
→ Sites

Inside that user space you can do pretty much what you want, and OmegaT too.

Now, if your original issue was that you could not create something in *your* user space, there is something to worry about, and in that case I'd first use the "First Aid" command of the Disk Utility application that you can find on your machine (within Applications → Utilities). The way you describe your issue does not make that very clear though.

If your original issue was that you could not create a project right at the root of Macintosh HD, then it is not an issue with OmegaT or with your system, you, as a user, are simply not allowed to arbitrarily create things there. There are ways to trick the system, as you did, but you really should never do that.

Jean-Christophe Helary
-----------------------------------------------
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune
Collapse

Brad Chang

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

[SOLVED][MAC] Unable to create new project on Omega T

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »