Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Three translation agencies contacted us for MTPE and HT projects, all the same requirements.
Thread poster: Marc Svetov
Laura Orbegozo
Laura Orbegozo
Spain
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are definitely scam! Mar 24, 2021

I also got offers from these people, actually from 2 different ones. From the beginning I suspected there was something going on there so I decided not to participate. But they keep sending e-mails about new "batches" available. At one point they even sent an e-mail explaining that the client required a kind of language test to be passed in order to continue working with him, but the funny thing is that they sent instructions on how to cheat on the exam in order to pass it! Definitelty not a ser... See more
I also got offers from these people, actually from 2 different ones. From the beginning I suspected there was something going on there so I decided not to participate. But they keep sending e-mails about new "batches" available. At one point they even sent an e-mail explaining that the client required a kind of language test to be passed in order to continue working with him, but the funny thing is that they sent instructions on how to cheat on the exam in order to pass it! Definitelty not a serious company...Collapse

Juan Pablo Lara
Juan Pablo Lara
Local time: 05:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
welcome to Goodwill Mar 25, 2021

Hello, today I received an email inviting me to participate in this "ISAAC" project. They sent me a third-party service agreement and the instructions, but it really seems odd to me so I will decline the offer. This post was very helpful to make the decision.

Maura Affinita
Kanyaphat Mamart

bivu
bivu
Italy
I am working on an ISAAC PROJECT - Was I scammed? Mar 25, 2021

Hi everyone. I too am w0rking on this ISAAC PROJECT which I now believe is a scam. I've worked on many transòation strings but have not received any payments. I have stopped any communication and eliminated my account. At this point, I don't even think I want their money. I was just scammed.

Melissa Carcangiu
Kanyaphat Mamart

Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:47
French to English
Artificial intelligence project Apr 8, 2021

I all I worked on this project for a while until I was made aware by a second agency who contacted me that it is for Artificial Intelligence (i.e Machine Translation).

The first agency didn't mention this. I stopped working on it when I realised.

It's a project with low pay, with the aim of making translators redundant/obsolete.

I don't think that they agency who I worked with are scammers, just out of their depth with a big project (but I could be total
... See more
I all I worked on this project for a while until I was made aware by a second agency who contacted me that it is for Artificial Intelligence (i.e Machine Translation).

The first agency didn't mention this. I stopped working on it when I realised.

It's a project with low pay, with the aim of making translators redundant/obsolete.

I don't think that they agency who I worked with are scammers, just out of their depth with a big project (but I could be totally wrong).
They paid me on time the first time, but took a long time to send over the second PO.
Collapse

Tomer Rosen Grace

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 06:47
Greek to English
+ ...
Here's where the "scam" part lies Apr 14, 2021

María C Turri wrote:
I asked to see the feedback for these quality issues and they told me the client had uploaded a report under "work reports" in the platform. There is nothing there suggesting ANY quality issues and I have not had any claims on the quality of my work in 15 years of full-time translation.

The other translators have to modify hits even if they are correct, otherwise they'll have a discount imposed on them.
Since all translators have to do the same, all of them will have these "quality issues". Because all hits will be modified.
Therefore the real rate of the project is 1/3rd of what they promised.

Vadim Kadyrov
Maria Laura Curzi

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
This is exactly the topic I was looking for Jul 16, 2021

I think I got scammed too.

I recently started "cooperating" with this agency, but I did only a few hits (English to Italian MTPE).

Since I wasn't sure about their payment rates (nobody informed me about them prior starting the job), I have been sending emails to every single email address I have of them since June 24.

Guess what? No answer, from anybody (PM or other colleagues).
I also contacted, during this month, their payment department (which shou
... See more
I think I got scammed too.

I recently started "cooperating" with this agency, but I did only a few hits (English to Italian MTPE).

Since I wasn't sure about their payment rates (nobody informed me about them prior starting the job), I have been sending emails to every single email address I have of them since June 24.

Guess what? No answer, from anybody (PM or other colleagues).
I also contacted, during this month, their payment department (which should know this little detail), which CANNOT provide me with any further information about this and tries always to forward my emails to the PM, with no further success.

This lets me understand it is a bit tricky not to mention the payment rates for each job I applied for in the platform. Serious agencies usually mention these rates waaaay before starting, so you can agree with them or adapt them. From this agency, never heard a word about it.

Being happy (but angry at the same time) that I didn't do much with them (exactly for this reason), I am pretty much sure I won't get any cent from them; I only feel sorry for those who worked hard on this platform, because they are waiting for their money, which will maybe not arrive.

I will now delete every single information I have there and try to delete my profile too.
I don't want to be part of this scam anymore.

EDIT of the day after: yesterday, some hours after writing this post, I received the long waited answer. The rate are so low I couldn't even imagine.
I still don't know if I am getting the money for the job I did, I want to give them the chance to do it and, after getting it (hopefully), I will delete the profile and work for other agencies which work in a clearer way.

[Edited at 2021-07-17 08:18 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Tomer Rosen Grace

Paulo Fernandes
Paulo Fernandes  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
English to German
+ ...
Poor fish Jul 29, 2021

I think it's unfair to blame fish with this "fishy" term. Fish swims in water and does not ripp off people

Conor McAuley
Conor McAuley  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
ISAAC Oct 11, 2021

Is this project over now?

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
No new batches Oct 12, 2021

Conor McAuley wrote:

Is this project over now?

At the moment, I don't see any new batches in my profile, so there is no new MTPE and similar to do, but we will receive an email as soon as new projects arrive.

Update about my previous post here above: the agency pays. I had to work for them for some months to understand how the payment works, but I can confirm that the payments arrive.

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
ISAAC Project Oct 12, 2021

Hello, colleagues!

I was contacted by an agency in Dubai for this project in June. After a while without being able to post-edit anything because of my availability, when I finally got time and tried to start a task, my user seemed to be banned.

In August, I was contacted by one of my clients in Spain (which I completely rely on) to do the QA of that ISAAC Project and the post-editing if I had time.

This job seems to have reached its end (at least in the pa
... See more
Hello, colleagues!

I was contacted by an agency in Dubai for this project in June. After a while without being able to post-edit anything because of my availability, when I finally got time and tried to start a task, my user seemed to be banned.

In August, I was contacted by one of my clients in Spain (which I completely rely on) to do the QA of that ISAAC Project and the post-editing if I had time.

This job seems to have reached its end (at least in the pair German>Spanish) a couple of weeks ago and I haven't been given any PO yet, but some of my colleagues working on that project through the Spanish agency have.

The explanation of the Spanish agency was that the rest of the hits were still under QA and they were going to be taken into consideration in the next month, that is to say, at the end of October. I haven't heard anything about complaints of someone for the payments.

You can calculate you word's and hour's counts on the ISAAC Project's platform but I don't know if I will receive correct POs at the end of the ongoing month but, as I said, I fully rely on the Spanish agency.

Let's see.

Best regards.
Collapse

Ludovicap

Liesbet C
Liesbet C
United States
More strings being added Dec 16, 2021

Hi everyone,

It seems like this project is still going on.

A few months ago, I received the request to do Dutch - English translations for one company based in Dubai. They told me the purpose of the project (AI), seemed professional, and would pay US$ 0.05 per word. I planned on participating whenever I found a chunk of time to read the materials, learn the process, and get some translation strings done. But, life got in the way and I never actually participated. I rec
... See more
Hi everyone,

It seems like this project is still going on.

A few months ago, I received the request to do Dutch - English translations for one company based in Dubai. They told me the purpose of the project (AI), seemed professional, and would pay US$ 0.05 per word. I planned on participating whenever I found a chunk of time to read the materials, learn the process, and get some translation strings done. But, life got in the way and I never actually participated. I recently wrote this company to see if more work was available, since my availability has improved, but never heard anything back.

Then, this morning, I received an email from a totally different company, based in the UK (according to Google as the email never indicated) and from a different contact person, offering the same kind of work on the One Forma platform. Except, the email was not professional, the language used had typos, and the translation rate is US$0.02 per word, which is way too low for me. So, I will pass again.

This comment is just an FYI for people still interested in this topic.
Collapse

Tomer Rosen Grace
Amani Harrison

Marc Svetov
Marc Svetov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:47
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Know who you are working for Dec 24, 2021

From the very beginning I have been expecting somebody to say it. But nobody ever did. You are working for Chinese intelligence.

Kenneth Skou
Maria Laura Curzi
Kanyaphat Mamart
Muammer Murat Alak
Dalia Nour
Matthias Großkloß

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Three translation agencies contacted us for MTPE and HT projects, all the same requirements.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »