Thread poster: Silke Schuetze
Silke Schuetze
Silke Schuetze  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:55
Member (2011)
English to German
Nov 5, 2017

Can anybody recommend a word count tool for pdfs? I need it only once and don't want to buy one. There are multiple online/free tools, but I don't know which are trustworthy. Thanks!

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
MS Word? Nov 6, 2017

Couldn't you simply open the PDF with Microsoft Word and use the word count there?

leoelement02
leoelement02
China
Local time: 11:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
Use MS Word, of course Nov 6, 2017

1. PDF not encrypted: Copy them to MS Word, and count the words free of charge.
2. PDF encrypted: Print screen. OCR. Copy the result to MS Word, and count the words free of charge.

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Free tool for PDF word count Nov 6, 2017

When I get a PDF document I charge in target words since there is more work in formating and so a lot of customers actually manage to send me Word documents...

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Count Anything Nov 6, 2017

Hi Silke,

I would recommend Count Anything.

http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

The PDF should contain words, of course, not just pictures.

Cheers,
Gerard

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 06:55
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Foxit Reader Nov 6, 2017

Foxit Reader is a free PDF reader with integrated word count functionality:

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

Volodymyr Pedchenko
Volodymyr Pedchenko
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Trial versions, which count PDFs Nov 6, 2017

Hi Silke,

For a single word count job you can use a trial version of AnyCount word count software. It does 10 word counts a day for free during 30 days.

Enjoy,
Volodymyr.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:55
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Abracadabra Nov 6, 2017

For years I have been using Jean-Renaud Boulay's Abracadabra PDF Word Counter, available at https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/utilitaires/utilities-in-english/reader-utilities/abracadabracompteur_en/

It adds a word counting tool to Acrobat Reader's Edit menu. Of course, it can't count words in images, only in text. But for a free tool I
... See more
For years I have been using Jean-Renaud Boulay's Abracadabra PDF Word Counter, available at https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/utilitaires/utilities-in-english/reader-utilities/abracadabracompteur_en/

It adds a word counting tool to Acrobat Reader's Edit menu. Of course, it can't count words in images, only in text. But for a free tool I find it very useful.

but I don't know which are trustworthy.

Bear in mind that every word counter functions slightly differently so will give slightly different results, including the word counters integral with CAT tools. But the differences should be minor.

[Edited at 2017-11-06 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Great program! Nov 6, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

It adds a word counting tool to Acrobat Reader's Edit menu. Of course, it can't count words in images, only in text. But for a free tool I find it very useful.

Bear in mind that every word counter functions slightly differently so will give slightly different results, including the word counters integral with CAT tools. But the differences should be minor.

[Edited at 2017-11-06 12:57 GMT]

I have downloaded and installed it for quick reference. İt is working great and provides satisfactory results for my purposes.
Thank you!
Elif

Silke Schuetze
Silke Schuetze  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Nov 6, 2017

I have tried Count Anything, which did not really work (maybe the pdf was just too big - it calculated forever and did not react).
Abracadarba worked, thanks!
To check the result, I installed the test version of Anycount, which showed 500 words more than Abracadabra (in a 200 page pdf) - I guess it detected more words hidden in tables and images.
So I guess Anycount is the most reliable solution for this.
Thanks a lot for your tips!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Six languages Nov 6, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

[Edited at 2017-11-06 13:50 GMT]

Sounds great but unfortunately does not include my source language.

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
specific language shouldn't matter Nov 20, 2017

Tina, you might be reifying the word recognition in word counting software. If you are using it for a text in a language based on the Roman alphabet--like Dutch--then the software doesn't need to know what language is involved. All it does is count units between blank spaces. This means it could count "msolike shjgolsid wmtoie" as words. Some word-count programs will also count units between dashes (thus, "word-count programs" would be 3 words) while others don't (they consider terms like "word-... See more
Tina, you might be reifying the word recognition in word counting software. If you are using it for a text in a language based on the Roman alphabet--like Dutch--then the software doesn't need to know what language is involved. All it does is count units between blank spaces. This means it could count "msolike shjgolsid wmtoie" as words. Some word-count programs will also count units between dashes (thus, "word-count programs" would be 3 words) while others don't (they consider terms like "word-count" to be one word). There are other variations in what each program defines as a "word"; other variations exist in the programs' abilities to count words inside text boxes, images, footnotes, and so on. But the specific language is irrelevant.

For the abracadabra program, you may have been thrown off by the flags and language indicated in the opening page: those refer only to the language used for the menu item once it's installed ("Word counter", "Compteur des mots", etc.) *not* the language you will be counting.

If you're curious about counting in languages based on characters, like Chinese, or a non-Roman script, like Arabic, there are other discussion threads in Proz you can consult.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Words in images aren't counted Dec 19, 2017

Silke Schuetze wrote:

I have tried Count Anything, which did not really work (maybe the pdf was just too big - it calculated forever and did not react).
Abracadarba worked, thanks!
To check the result, I installed the test version of Anycount, which showed 500 words more than Abracadabra (in a 200 page pdf) - I guess it detected more words hidden in tables and images.
So I guess Anycount is the most reliable solution for this.
Thanks a lot for your tips!

Different programs use different algorithms to word counting. That's one reason why a CAT tool gives one word count while MS Word gives another, on the same file.

Silke, you can use those PDF word count tools others recommended, but I think it's important to understand that no tool can count text embedded in an image. Those words (in images) have to be counted manually.

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
On-line counter for pdf files Jul 10, 2018

I have developed this free on-line counter of translation statistics for pdf files and other formats - http://t9ncounter.com .

I am actively using it, and I hope it will save your time as well.

[Edited at 2018-07-11 09:07 GMT]

Jorge Payan

convert Aug 16, 2018

I want to tell you about the online convert free support. It is easier than other software.

[Edited at 2018-08-16 08:28 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free word count tool for pdf?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »