Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Ever want to compare two Google searches on the same page, side by side?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2018

Ever want to compare two Google searches on the same page, side by side? I am working on a prototype, which can be tested @ http://beijer.uk/Google-Compare.html

Google-Compare

Useful? Not useful? Let me know!

Michael

alex suhoy

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:54
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try Nov 24, 2018

https://www.google.com/ncr — No Country Reference

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sergei, but that wasn't the point of the page. Nov 24, 2018

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

https://www.google.com/ncr — No Country Reference

I want something to quickly compare how often two similar phrases are used in general.

Basically what these two sites do:

https://www.googlefight.co.uk/
http://www.googlebattle.com/?domain=“AT%20THE%20LOCAL%20LEVEL”&domain2=“AT%20LOCAL%20LEVEL”&submit=Go!

I can never get ‘Googlefight’ to work. ‘Googlebattle’ does work.

Michael

[Edited at 2018-11-24 22:16 GMT]

neilmac

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Two windows Nov 24, 2018

Not really, but you could just open two browser windows and arrange them side by side. Do we need a special function for this?

Capture

[Edited at 2018-11-24 22:15 GMT]

Tom in London

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Since I do it a lot, workarounds got kind of tedious. Nov 24, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Not really, but you could just open two browser windows and arrange them side by side. Do we need a special function for this?

Capture

[Edited at 2018-11-24 22:15 GMT]

My page saves me a couple of steps, each time.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:54
French to English
+ ...
What's the point, really? Nov 25, 2018

Maybe I am missing something, but what precludes us from just opening two browser windows side by side and entering the respective Google queries in each of them?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tom in London
B D Finch
Cetacea

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
[Deleted] Nov 25, 2018

[Deleted]

[Edited at 2018-11-25 06:17 GMT]

Steve R.
Steve R.
United States
Russian to English
This is wonderful! Nov 25, 2018

I would absolutely bookmark and use it. And that's saying a lot because I detest clutter, including additional windows, especially when they're used solely to execute comparisons. Plus, all the size-adjusting and position-moving of the second window...

No.

I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

As for 2lingual, it's 2inflexible, in my opinion. It automates the translation of the queried text, which is limiting, at least for my purposes.

Oleksandr Ivanov

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Invented already ;-) Nov 25, 2018

Anyway you have to type two search terms/phrases, this can't be done automatically. The sticking point is the automatic oening & arranging of the two windows. The arranging can be done via Windows' "Show side-by-side" function (right-click the task bar). But this method is impractical, especially if you have more than one monitor and/or more than two windows. Actually the automatic windows arranging is the sticking point here.

Some users don't know that Omnilookup can do all that. <
... See more
Anyway you have to type two search terms/phrases, this can't be done automatically. The sticking point is the automatic oening & arranging of the two windows. The arranging can be done via Windows' "Show side-by-side" function (right-click the task bar). But this method is impractical, especially if you have more than one monitor and/or more than two windows. Actually the automatic windows arranging is the sticking point here.

Some users don't know that Omnilookup can do all that.
1 - Create 2 independent Google source entries. (You could use the Clone button to create the second entry from the first one, but this is optional.) Important: Check the "Display results in a separate window" box in the Properties windows of both entries!

2 - Create a search group (e. g. named "GoogleTwice") consisting of the above created Google entries.

3 - Close all search windows (if any are open), then perform an arbitrary search using the "GoogleTwice" group. Arrange both result windows at will, then use the "Define panoramic view button" in order to store this group's arrangement for later use.

4 - Exit Omnilookup in order to store all new settings.

The setup steps 1 to 4 need to be done only once.

When you ever - tomorrow or next week - start a search with your predefined "GoogleTwice" group (just use one group-button or one group-hotkey) you get 2 Google windows with identical content but precisely arranged side-by-side or whatever arrangement you defined in step 3. Then click the "Repeat search" button (2 magnifying glasses in the upper left corner) in one of the windows and enter the second search term/phrase.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
feel free to do it manually each time, just trying to save a bit of time Nov 25, 2018

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Maybe I am missing something, but what precludes us from just opening two browser windows side by side and entering the respective Google queries in each of them?

The point relates to trying to save a bit of time. Nothing more, nothing less. Little things that take only a few seconds, if done regularly and often, can add up to quite a bit of wasted time.

Peter van der Hoek
Gudrun Haus

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Writeful Nov 25, 2018

Hi Michael,

Not exactly the same but Writeful can be very useful to compare two phrases. See https://writefullapp.com/#sec-features

Michael Beijer wrote:

I want something to quickly compare how often two similar phrases are used in general.

Mario Cerutti
Julio Palma

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Easy to do it with Firefox and Windows 10 Nov 28, 2018

In Firefox, just right click the tab you want to move to a new window and select "Move to new window", then press Windows key + left or right arrow, select the window you want to show alongside it.

I use two monitors and the above arranges the windows side-by-side on a single monitor, leaving the second monitor free for a different window or even two different windows.

Jean Dimitriadis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Alternatively Nov 28, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:
... Useful? Not useful? Let me know!

Yes, I suppose it will be useful to some.

On my browser (Opera with Blink engine), I can switch between tabs very quickly (simply press 1 and 2), so whenever I want to compare two or more results, I open them in separate tabs and simply use the tab switch shortcuts to switch between the two tabs repeatedly. There is a feature in the browser called "Duplicate tab", which you can set a shortcut for, which allows one to open a duplicate Google search and then simply change the search query.

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
too much clicking Dec 3, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Ever want to compare two Google searches on the same page, side by side? I am working on a prototype, which can be tested @ http://beijer.uk/Google-Compare.html

In theory I would use this, and I don't know why so many people seem to object to the existence of something they won't personally have a use for.
However, I would like to type my two search terms in: Term 1, Tab, Term 2, Tab and then hit enter. The page as you have it doesn't seem to me to involve significantly less clicking about than my usual method of typing in term 1, hitting enter, looking at the results, editing it to term 2 (which is likely a mere variant of term 1, so limited typing), and hitting enter.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another screenshot Dec 8, 2018

Thanks everyone for the input!

Indeed, it isn't perfect yet, and a few steps could be automated still, but it's just a rough idea so far.

However, I am finding the image search very useful this morning on my current job, where I need to do a lot of image searching/comparing. Have a look:

image-compare

Michael

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »