Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 21, 2016

Hello everyone

Every now and then I get an XTM job that consists of dozens of tiny files instead of just one file. Since I do the translations offline in my CAT tool, this can be annoying because XTM doesn't allow one to upload all files at once (one has to upload each of the files one by one by one, and it's not fast).

I noticed that I can also download the entire job as a TIPP file, so I tried it out.

The TIPP file is a normal zip file with two files in
... See more
Hello everyone

Every now and then I get an XTM job that consists of dozens of tiny files instead of just one file. Since I do the translations offline in my CAT tool, this can be annoying because XTM doesn't allow one to upload all files at once (one has to upload each of the files one by one by one, and it's not fast).

I noticed that I can also download the entire job as a TIPP file, so I tried it out.

The TIPP file is a normal zip file with two files in it, namely a manifest.xml and a resources.zip file. The resources.zip file contains a subfolder named "bilingual", and inside it is an XLF file.

So I unzipped it all, translated the XLF file, and then used 7-zip's excellent archive browser to replace the original XLF file with the translated one. But when I try to upload it, XTM isn't happy. It says:

XTM is unable to validate this TIPP file. We have identified the following issues:
- An invalid unique response ID
- This is not a task response package

What does this mean? Where does the problem lie? The new XLF file has the same name and is in the same location inside the TIPP file as the original.

Thanks
Samuel

(or: perhaps there is a neat trick that will allow me to upload an entire job's files as a single zip file...?)
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:10
Dealing with TIPP files Sep 21, 2016

Hello Samuel,

TIPP package containing an XLIFF:doc file can be opened in compatible programs such as MemoQ, edited and then uploaded again to XTM.

If you are not using CAT tool which support TIPP format it won't be possible for you to manually create response package and maintain unique ID.

If your project in XTM has multiple source files you can generate MultiXLIF file. It's a single XLIFF file which is basically a joined XLIFF file which has all files ins
... See more
Hello Samuel,

TIPP package containing an XLIFF:doc file can be opened in compatible programs such as MemoQ, edited and then uploaded again to XTM.

If you are not using CAT tool which support TIPP format it won't be possible for you to manually create response package and maintain unique ID.

If your project in XTM has multiple source files you can generate MultiXLIF file. It's a single XLIFF file which is basically a joined XLIFF file which has all files inside.

Using MultiXLIFF you can translate and upload translation for all files at once.

Kind regards,
Przemysław Nowak (XTM Support)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay... Sep 23, 2016

XTM Intl wrote:

Aaah, so a TIPP file is really a forward package, and the CAT tool then generates a return package (which is also a TIPP file). After googling really, really hard, I finally found it. TIPP stands for "Translation Interoperability Protocol Package". It's here.

If your project in XTM has multiple source files you can generate MultiXLIF file. It's a single XLIFF file which is basically a joined XLIFF file which has all files inside. ... Using MultiXLIFF you can translate and upload translation for all files at once.

Unfortunately I don't have that option available to me.

[Edited at 2016-09-23 11:06 GMT]

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:10
Dealing with TIPP files Sep 23, 2016

Hello Samuel,

That is true. Generating TIPP file indeed locks project files.

However files can be unlocked by clicking on a red padlock in Files tab/file manager by both linguist and Project Manager.

Kind regards,
Przemysław Nowak (XTM Support)

Mariusz Lasota
Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
Can I translate TIPP using SDL Studio? Sep 21, 2018

Hi!. Based on the file header I determined that the TIPP "package" is a just an archive, so I actually extracted the xlf file from the TIPP and translated it using SDL Studio. Unfortunately, when the translated file is put back in the package it won’t upload to XTM. Why is that? Apparently applications that natively support TIPP (not SDL Studio) do some additional modifications to the files in the package, so that it works. Would you please let me know what needs to be done with the TIPP packa... See more
Hi!. Based on the file header I determined that the TIPP "package" is a just an archive, so I actually extracted the xlf file from the TIPP and translated it using SDL Studio. Unfortunately, when the translated file is put back in the package it won’t upload to XTM. Why is that? Apparently applications that natively support TIPP (not SDL Studio) do some additional modifications to the files in the package, so that it works. Would you please let me know what needs to be done with the TIPP package so that it is accepted by XTM

Thank you!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Mariusz Sep 21, 2018

Mariusz Lasota wrote:
Unfortunately, when the translated file is put back in the package it won’t upload to XTM. Why is that?

There could be any number of reasons, but one reason may be because you did not edit the manifest file properly. When I translate TIPP files with OmegaT (also by unzipping it and translating the XLF file), I run a little script that creates an updated version of the manifest file, before zipping everything back together. I'm not sure if this script will work for you (AutoIt must be installed).

https://we.tl/t-plh4YgLnJs (7 days only)

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New location of AutoIt script Nov 19, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
When I translate TIPP files with OmegaT (also by unzipping it and translating the XLF file), I run a little script that creates an updated version of the manifest file, before zipping everything back together. I'm not sure if this script will work for you (AutoIt must be installed).

New URL:
http://www.leuce.com/autoit/TIPP.zip

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Dealing with TIPP files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »