getting a book translation , how to ....?.
Thread poster: edward o loughlin
edward o loughlin
edward o loughlin  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:44
German to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2022

I want to get translation offers from book publishers ( non fiction only ) , but have received zero replies from 12 sources to date, altho i have adhered to their submission guidelines. Have sent precis, chapter versions, toc etc , to no avail. I know publishers have a preference for using their own panel of translators and doing the book selections themselves. Is there any way out of this impasse ?

Borowish Sobczak

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Author Dec 2, 2022

edward o loughlin wrote:

I want to get translation offers from book publishers ( non fiction only ) , but have received zero replies from 12 sources to date, altho i have adhered to their submission guidelines. Have sent precis, chapter versions, toc etc , to no avail. I know publishers have a preference for using their own panel of translators and doing the book selections themselves. Is there any way out of this impasse ?

Contact the Author/s directly and send them samples of your work.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Grammar checker? Dec 3, 2022

There are many errors in your post, which is maybe less important, but also in your ProZ profile, which matters a lot. For example, you use lowercase letters for the names of languages, eg "german", and incorrect spacing, eg "( non fiction only )".

Could your style of writing be putting off potential customers? Perfect English is particularly important when you're dealing with publishers.

[Edited at 2022-12-03 16:37 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Tom in London
Samuel Murray
Jorge Payan
Camilla Aldini
Ester Vidal
Adieu

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And there's more Dec 4, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

There are many errors in your post, which is maybe less important, but also in your ProZ profile, which matters a lot. For example, you use lowercase letters for the names of languages, eg "german", and incorrect spacing, eg "( non fiction only )".

Could your style of writing be putting off potential customers? Perfect English is particularly important when you're dealing with publishers.

[Edited at 2022-12-03 16:37 GMT]

In some of the examples in your portfolio there are numerous instances of "it's" instead of "its", and commas where you should have used full stops (periods).

Adieu

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edward Dec 4, 2022

edward o loughlin wrote:
I want to get translation offers from book publishers, but have received zero replies from 12 sources to date, even though I have adhered to their submission guidelines.

When a potential client gets a cold call from a translator, and they have any interest, they'll likely do what many of us do when we are contacted by a new person: they'll google you. A search for edward+o+loughlin+translator yields a number of your profile pages on e.g. LinkedIn, Translators' Cafe, and ProZ.com. These clients will then take a look at those profile pages to see if you have typical translator qualities, e.g. precision of language. However, the quality of your writing on those profiles is more likely to sink you.

You are, of course, free to write however you want in public forum posts and on public profile pages, but if your writing in those places deviates from what clients would believe a good translator would always use, it will harm your chances.

Here is your address line on Translators' Cafe:
Capture-1
- you write "st" with a lowercase "s"
- you don't say where that street is (it certainly isn't in Vienna)
- you add a space before the comma
- you omit "Strasse" in "Mariahilfer Strasse"
- you write "mariahilfer" with a lowercase "m" (the same applies to "wien" and "vienna")
- you use "wien" in one place but "vienna" just a few words further on
- you write no comma or semi-colon before the "also", which would be appropriate in this case
- it is unclear why you added "vienna, 2" after the e-mail address
- you added "Wien" after your phone number for no apparent reason
- you write "MOBIL" which is not an English word before the fax number
- you use "+43" in one place and "0043" in the very next field, which is inconsistent
- you add a space after "+43" in one place but omit the space in the subsequent field

The address is going to be one of the first things a client will see on your Translators' Cafe profile page. It is an advertisement for your craft. The types of mistakes mentioned above tells potential clients only one thing: "don't hire me, or you'll be sorry".

Look, I have no idea if you are a good or a bad translator, and I don't judge you. I'm just pointing out the effect that the writing on your profile pages will have on a potential client's willingness to hire you.

Added: Another thing a potential client might do, is download your résumé/CV. It is vital that your résumé creates the very best impression, and that a client can understand the résumé without having to google for what is written in it, or without having to download a special program to view it.

[Edited at 2022-12-04 10:26 GMT]

Tom in London
Dan Lucas
Jorge Payan
Agnes Fatrai
Ester Vidal

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Should Dec 5, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
In some of the examples in your portfolio there are numerous instances of "it's" instead of "its", and commas where you should have used full stops (periods).

Don’t you mean “should of”?

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Adieu
P.L.F. Persio

Juan Giraldo-Ceballos
Juan Giraldo-Ceballos
Italy
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
Pitching Jun 15, 2023

You should consider sending pitches to publishers. It's an unpaid job but could be the key to unlocking the doors you have found closed.

This is a pitch guide for translators that might be useful:

https://antonhur.com/pitch-guide-for-translators/

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 05:44
English to Finnish
+ ...
no Jun 16, 2023

[quote]Ice Scream wrote:

"should of is not correct and should never be used"
(grammarist.com)

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's a joke Jun 17, 2023

[quote]finnword1 wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

"should of is not correct and should never be used"
(grammarist.com)

Kevin Fulton
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Rita Translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

getting a book translation , how to ....?.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »