Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: "Infographic" resumes - The new standard, or unprofessional?
Thread poster: Jocelyn Laney
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:07
French to English
. Mar 21, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I will probably risk being accused of being pedantic but when I read ' "Infographic" resumes' I assumed there had been some "Infographic" thing but that it had stopped, and that it had now started again. So I ignored this thread until today when, out of curiosity, I clicked on it.

"To resume" is a verb.

[Edited at 2023-03-20 09:22 GMT]

and "a resume" is what Americans call CVs.
Yes it's pronounced "résumé" but since QWERTY keyboards don't have accents, they are gleefully dropped.

Joe France

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 21, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:
These resumes are often 6 or 8 pages long and full of icons for every possible thing.
I would love to hear the perspective of an HR person who receives a lot of these, and to hear about what kind of resume advice the younger generation is getting. In the US and EU, plain formatting and 1-2 pages is standard. Or is it???

I'm not an HR person but I have been involved in parsing CVs and shortlisting potential colleagues.
I would say that this style is obviously something that will appeal to digital natives. The presentation looks like it's trying to be an edgy website. In other words, civilisation has circled right back round to using hieroglyphics as the Egyptians did in ancient times.

So I'm not sure I would hold the format against them. Spreading the info over several pages would turn it into something that could be viewed easily on a mobile phone, and I suppose a busy HR person or person in charge of finding a translator might well appreciate getting on with their job on their commute into the office (not me but I'm not a digital native, I will wait to get home and onto my computer to answer a WhatsApp message if I want to do more than say "OK" and add a heart emoji). HR people and people seeking out translators are not translators, so we can expect that they would prefer this kind of format to slabs of text.
Of course, format remains secondary to the text, which still needs to be flawless.

[Edited at 2023-03-21 08:32 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
Member (2008)
Italian to English
b/r/ahhh Mar 21, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I will probably risk being accused of being pedantic but when I read ' "Infographic" resumes' I assumed there had been some "Infographic" thing but that it had stopped, and that it had now started again. So I ignored this thread until today when, out of curiosity, I clicked on it.

"To resume" is a verb.

[Edited at 2023-03-20 09:22 GMT]

and "a resume" is what Americans call CVs.
Yes it's pronounced "résumé" but since QWERTY keyboards don't have accents, they are gleefully dropped.

That'll be the same people who pronounce "lingerie" as "lawn jerray".

[Edited at 2023-03-21 16:56 GMT]

Kay Denney
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:07
English to Turkish
Unacceptable! Mar 21, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
That'll be the same people who pronounce "lingerie" as "lawn jerray".

[Edited at 2023-03-21 16:56 GMT]

That kind of pronunciation is unacceptable (as pronounced in this video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy8uyHtPWM

Jocelyn Laney

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't break the automation Mar 21, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:

What is the deal with this wave of crowded, colorful resumes?

I would love to hear the perspective of an HR person who receives a lot of these, and to hear about what kind of resume advice the younger generation is getting. In the US and EU, plain formatting and 1-2 pages is standard. Or is it???

As an HR translator I can tell you that the resumes people send to big organisations go through many data filters. There's a big chance that all that beautiful artwork won't pass them. Colourful, creative applicants won’t even reach the database.

If people post their resumes online, for everyone to see, they can be as creative as they want. But they’d have to link to an HR friendly page.

Cheers,
Gerard

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jocelyn Mar 22, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:

Thank you for understanding me!

So many of these resumes have bad spelling and spacing. I think some translators are paying a service to create and promote their resume and the results are very bad.

I've just received a resume from someone who holds a "Mastar of Languages from the Universty of Cambridge". Out to the bin it went...

expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Jocelyn Laney
Jocelyn Laney  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:07
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nice Mar 23, 2023

Please fwd it to me next time, I would love to see it!

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
That's my biggest problem too Sep 12, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:

As for adding the company logos of companies I have done work for - most of my work is done through agencies, so the NDAs prevent me from claiming any direct connection to or recognition by those companies. It's unlikely the end client would ever see my resume, but if the agencies saw those company names listed they would cut me off.

I worked for some really impressive end clients, but I'm not allowed to mention them either.
Partly, there is a reason for it: it's possible the agencies did some proofreading on my work.
But I'm sure they don't always do that, and some agencies never do.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Look like adds Sep 12, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

I would say that this style is obviously something that will appeal to digital natives. The presentation looks like it's trying to be an edgy website. In other words, civilisation has circled right back round to using hieroglyphics as the Egyptians did in ancient times.

To me it looks as if they turn résumés into a company brochure.
It gets the look and feel of "hey, I'm a company offering translations".
It might be a good way to handle things in certain situations.
But I think it might also backfire on other occasions.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Infographic" resumes - The new standard, or unprofessional?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »