Best route for a new translator based in Luxembourg?
Thread poster: Bouniecoco
Bouniecoco
Bouniecoco
Luxembourg
Sep 16, 2023

Hi all, first post on this forum so excuse me if this is the wrong topic/place.

Here’s my sitch: I’m looking to retrain as a translator (French to English) from another career. I’m a British/French national with a joint honours undergraduate degree from the UK, half of which is a French degree, and I speak French to C2 level (I underwent the language test as part of my French citizenship app). I’ve got bits of informal translation experience over the years but no paid freela
... See more
Hi all, first post on this forum so excuse me if this is the wrong topic/place.

Here’s my sitch: I’m looking to retrain as a translator (French to English) from another career. I’m a British/French national with a joint honours undergraduate degree from the UK, half of which is a French degree, and I speak French to C2 level (I underwent the language test as part of my French citizenship app). I’ve got bits of informal translation experience over the years but no paid freelance work as of yet.

I’ve been looking into taking the CIOL DipTrans for a couple of years now and now I finally have the opportunity to start training for it. Only now I’m wondering if there are better avenues. For context, I’m soon to relocate to Luxembourg (where, incidentally, there seem to be no official qualification requirements to become certified/assermenté).

My question is whether the best way forward is to take the DipTrans in 2025 (after a year of intense prep) and get some freelance work going before later applying to become certified? Undertake a masters? Just do freelance work (is it even possible without formal qualifications??)? Is there another qualification that the Europeans like to see?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Certified translator in Luxembourg Sep 19, 2023

Bouniecoco wrote:

For context, I’m soon to relocate to Luxembourg (where, incidentally, there seem to be no official qualification requirements to become certified/assermenté).

AFAIK that’s not true. No exam is required, as is elsewhere, but in order to be in the list there are a few requirements:
https://guichet.public.lu/fr/actualites/2021/mai/17-demande-reprise-liste-experts-traducteurs-assermentes.html

Bouniecoco
Bouniecoco
Luxembourg
TOPIC STARTER
Yes indeed Sep 19, 2023

Hi Maria, yes you're right, I had seen "diplômes correspondant" - I suppose I just meant that it's a little more flexible in that whatever relevant diploma/degree you have is considered as part of the application. Probably no different to anywhere else, then.

My impression is that it doesn't matter what qualification I do as long as I get some experience under my belt.

[Edited at 2023-09-19 08:40 GMT]

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best route for a new translator based in Luxembourg?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »