Louis Empis
Louis Empis
Spain
Local time: 12:50
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jan 8

Hello,

I would like to get established as a freelance in Spain to make additional income, so i'd like to hear about your experience in setting up a business as simply as possible and, above all, how much it would cost?

Thank you

Neyf Almeida
Neyf Almeida  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:50
Member (2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mentoring Jan 8

Hi Louis,

in case you have questions on how to getting established as a freelancer, I'd be happy to mentor you.

Feel free to send me a message in case you need help!

Best regards,

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Louis Jan 8

I suggest you also ask your question in the Spanish country and Spanish language subforums:
https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa-482.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/spanish-24.html

Louis Empis
Louis Empis
Spain
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 8

Thank you both.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Gestoria Jan 8

We immigrated in Spain in 2010 without knowing much of the language (and even less andalu cerra'o).
To import the car, open bank accounts, buy the house, set up my freelance business (autonomo), register with the tax office and national health system, contract insurances and generally wade through the meanders of Spanish administration, we subcontracted the legwork and talking to various "gestorias".
This method proved extremely simple and extremely fairly priced given the time and h
... See more
We immigrated in Spain in 2010 without knowing much of the language (and even less andalu cerra'o).
To import the car, open bank accounts, buy the house, set up my freelance business (autonomo), register with the tax office and national health system, contract insurances and generally wade through the meanders of Spanish administration, we subcontracted the legwork and talking to various "gestorias".
This method proved extremely simple and extremely fairly priced given the time and hassle it saved us in our situation.

Registering as an autonomo and to the health system doesn't cost anything or much as far as I know, and health/pension contributions are gradually shifting from an a-la-carte amount, with a min. contribution of ~€300/month, to an amount depending on your level of income (like in France). Autonomos are copiously taxed, so do the math to see if the "additional income" from your freelance activity is significant enough to be worth the trouble.

Besides Samuel's tip, my advice is to consult with a gestor/asesor in your neighbourhood and take it from there.

Philippe
Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Marijke Singer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting established in Spain as a freelance

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »