Anne Lee  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 16:46
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
Jan 23, 2004

While translating a huge table in Access, I have placed symbols like * and ? next to the terms I wanted to check later. Now I find that the search function does not seem to recognise those symbols. Instead of finding them, the search function just goes to the next cell in the column. Typically, the manual I bought on Access is of no help. Can anyone tell me how to find my stars and question marks?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 12:46
Członek ProZ.com
od 2001

angielski > włoski
+ ...
Searching for wildcards Jan 23, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

While translating a huge table in Access, I have placed symbols like * and ? next to the terms I wanted to check later. Now I find that the search function does not seem to recognise those symbols.

This happens because * and ? are wildcard characters, i.e. they have the following meaning:

* = Matches any number of characters. It can be used as the first or last character in the character string.
Example: wh* finds what, white, and why

? = Matches any single alphabetic character.
Example: B?ll finds ball, bell, and bill

You should have used something different (not a wildcard),
for example @@@, or ~~~.

From the Access Help System
When using wildcard characters to search for an asterisk (*), question mark (?), number sign (#), opening bracket ([), or hyphen (-), you must enclose the item you're searching for in brackets.

For example, to search for a question mark, type [?] in the Find dialog box. If you're searching for a hyphen and other characters simultaneously, place the hyphen before or after all the other characters inside the brackets. (However, if you have an exclamation point (!) after the opening bracket, place the hyphen after the exclamation point.) If you're searching for an exclamation point (!) or closing bracket (]), you don't need to enclose it in brackets.

You can find more details in the Access help system.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-01-23 11:26]

Anne Lee
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you, Giafranco Jan 23, 2004

Excellent. That's a great help. This job is extremely time-consuming because I cannot use my translation tools with Access despite the fact there is a lot of repetition in my file. It seems impossible to copy one cell simultaneously to the following 20, for instance. I have to paste the words into each cell individually unless I copy the entire field (row) which would overwrite the source text in the other column. Frustrating.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czechy
Local time: 17:46
angielski > czeski
+ ...
Some hints Jan 23, 2004

You could find the following shortcut useful: Ctrl+Apostrophe inserts value from the same field in preceding record (just like Ctrl+D in Excel).

If you have many repetitions, you can use plain old Search and Replace function (Ctrl+H; check the dialog box options carefully).

You can also use T-Window for Clipboard, if you have Trados.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Meksyk
Local time: 09:46
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Use Access Filter Jan 23, 2004

Highlight one or several of the characters in the table you are looking for, open the context menu (right clic) and select the exclusive filter.

The table will show only the records containing the selected characters.

To show all records again, clic on the filter symbol in the menu bar to deactivate the filter.

Maybe you need to add the filter toolbar to your menu bar.

HTH,
Harry

Anne Lee
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you Jan 24, 2004

Thank you so much for your advice. I never cease to be amazed at how helpful these forums are.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding symbols in an Access table

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »