Number of characters in strings (Excel)
投稿者: ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:46
日本語 から フランス語
Nov 11, 2002

When we translate an Excel file for User Interface, the number of characters per cell (string) is generally limited. I would like the number of characters in a cell to appear automatically in the following (right) cell, so I don\'t have to count the characters one by one by myself. It\'s very useful when the file is big... Does anybody know how to do that ?

By the way, I once saw an Excel file with a third cell showing automatically \"OK\" when the number of characters was OK, or \"wro
... See more
When we translate an Excel file for User Interface, the number of characters per cell (string) is generally limited. I would like the number of characters in a cell to appear automatically in the following (right) cell, so I don\'t have to count the characters one by one by myself. It\'s very useful when the file is big... Does anybody know how to do that ?

By the way, I once saw an Excel file with a third cell showing automatically \"OK\" when the number of characters was OK, or \"wrong\" when the string was too long. Any idea how to do that in Excel ?

Alain
Collapse

Elzbieta Wojcicka
Elzbieta Wojcicka
オランダ
Local time: 11:46
オランダ語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
Use formulas Nov 11, 2002

To have the number of characters inserted in cell C1, type there:

=LEN(B1)

whe B1 is the cell from where the characters should be counted.

For checking if the number of characters given in cell C1 doesn\'t exceed the limit given in cell D1 use another formula:

=IF(C1

ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:46
日本語 から フランス語
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Nov 11, 2002

Great !

Elzbieta, you are not only a translator, but a great magician !!!

Alain

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of characters in strings (Excel)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »