Inițiatorul discuției: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexic
Local time: 19:01
din germană în engleză
Dec 29, 2002

Hello,

Whenever I type 1/2 or 01/02 MS Word always automatically converts the numbers to ½. Does anyone know how to make it stop doing that?

Kim

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:01
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Read below Dec 29, 2002

Open the program, go to Tools, Autocorrection (I guess it is so in English, it is Autocorrección in Spanish), clic the tab Autoformat while writing, and there, under \'Replace while writing\' you\'ll see an option for fractions. You can disable it clicking the box.

Hope this helps!

Kim Metzger
Mexic
din germană în engleză
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Problem solved Dec 29, 2002

Thank you so much Mónica - it worked beautifully under \"mientras escribe.\" That\'s one of the reasons I occasionally run into trouble - my MS Word is the Spanish version.

Kim

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:01
engleză
+ ...
Yes Kim. Dec 29, 2002

Go to TOOLS and select AUTO-CORRECT.

You should see a list of letter/symbols that automatically get converted in the first window.

You can then add, delete or modify the options.

Warm Wishes for your holidays.

Maria Celia Costanzo
Maria Celia Costanzo
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Autocorrection Dec 29, 2002

My version of Word is in Spanish, anyway I hope you will understand me...

You shoud go to Tools, Autocorrection, open the \"Autoformat while writting\" label, and deselect the fields \"Replace while writting\" you prefer. Press OK.

Good luck!

María Celia
[addsig]

Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
I AM NOT COMPLETELY SURE... Dec 30, 2002

but I believe it has to do with the configuration. It is more or less like the numbering of the paragraphs. Sometimes it numbers the paragraphs automatically, but you can avoid this. I just typed some numbers in Word (I have Word 97) and it did not change the 1/2. Other times it does...

Although I master Word pretty well, this is a subject I am not well acquainted with.

Robert Ingledew

Kim Metzger
Mexic
din germană în engleză
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Well, I solved the fractions problem, but Dec 30, 2002

now I can\'t figure out how to avoid automatic conversion of abbreviated ordinal numbers, i.e. from 4th to 4 with the raised th, rd, nd. Again, I went to autocorrecion, mientras escribe and found \"ordinales\" and unchecked that field but it doesn\'t do the trick for me.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Try with Autoformato Dec 31, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 23:32, kmetzger wrote:

now I can\'t figure out how to avoid automatic conversion of abbreviated ordinal numbers, i.e. from 4th to 4 with the raised th, rd, nd. Again, I went to autocorrecion, mientras escribe and found \"ordinales\" and unchecked that field but it doesn\'t do the trick for me.

Follow the same steps, but open the tab Autoformato, there, again, you\'ll see t... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-30 23:32, kmetzger wrote:

Follow the same steps, but open the tab Autoformato, there, again, you\'ll see the Ordinales box and you can uncheck it.

Hope this helps! ▲ Collapse

Kim Metzger
Mexic
din germană în engleză
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
No dice Jan 1, 2003

That didn\'t work Mónica. I unchecked ordinales in both places and still have the same problem. And now I have another one. When I type realize it automatically changes to realice.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 03:01
Utilizator
din catalană în engleză
+ ...
Kim..... Jan 2, 2003

......this last problem sounds like you have \"Detect language automatically\" checked. I personally find it a pain and always have it unchecked as the default option.

Cidália Martins (X)
Cidália Martins (X)
engleză
+ ...
What I do... Jan 21, 2003

...when MS Word auto formats something, is click on \"Edit\" on the menu bar and then click on \"undo auto format\" to revert the text back to the way I originally typed it. Perhaps a little more tedious than what the others suggested, but it does the trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MS Word: a question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »