صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: What percentage of your income do you donate or redistribute?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
فرنسا
Local time: 07:09
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
. Oct 15, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

... about Jesus overturning the tables of the moneylenders at the Temple. I'm all in favour of overturning that sort of thing.

- also this quote from a great fellow-Irishman:

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
- George Bernard Shaw

I think Jesus loves everyone, including whiny people.

[Edited at 2021-10-15 12:26 GMT]

I too love the bit in the Bible about the money-lenders, even if I'm more of an atheist really.
The way you were going there, Tom, I thought you were going to add in that quote about patriotism being the last refuge of a scoundrel.
But then I saw that it wasn't old Oscar who said it, and Wiki confirmed that it was some other geezer who wasn't even Irish so...

/j

P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
البرتغال
Local time: 06:09
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Thank God for Babel! Oct 15, 2021

Thank God for all countries!
If it weren't for the countries, their native speakers and their different languages we would not be what we are today: translators and/or interpreters.

Paul Lambert
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
My favourite book on translation is.... Oct 16, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

Thank God for all countries!
If it weren't for the countries, their native speakers and their different languages we would not be what we are today: translators and/or interpreters.

"After Babel" by George Steiner https://tinyurl.com/woed5wm

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
You don't have to be Irish Oct 16, 2021

Kay Denney wrote:

...... I thought you were going to add in that quote about patriotism being the last refuge of a scoundrel.....

Was it the nonpareil Dr. Johnson?

P.L.F. Persio

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 00:09
يوناني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
What do all things have to do with the subject? Oct 16, 2021

Nothing.
But since others mentioned things:

a) Patriotism is a preference to defend a certain area and a certain set of people/lifestyle/language/tribe etc.
It's kind of like a marriage, vs. casual dating.
Just like everything, it's good within reason. Too little and you may lose everything, too much and you may destroy everything.

Different countries works well as a safety measure, just like compartments work well in a large ship. If one
... See more
Nothing.
But since others mentioned things:

a) Patriotism is a preference to defend a certain area and a certain set of people/lifestyle/language/tribe etc.
It's kind of like a marriage, vs. casual dating.
Just like everything, it's good within reason. Too little and you may lose everything, too much and you may destroy everything.

Different countries works well as a safety measure, just like compartments work well in a large ship. If one floods, the others won't, and they will be able to help. They also make the world a more interesting place (instead of a mono-culture). The value of different, especially small countries, can be seen if you compare the value of a human in a small village vs. a gigantic city, within the same country.
Different countries is also a good thing, within reason.

On redistribution of income - I think it's ludicrous to even consider redistribution of income among a class of workers. Translators are not business owners or hedge fund managers or Silicon Valley tycoons who copy (at almost zero cost) the same software and sell it at the same price over and over again. Translators are not real estate speculators or privileged government officials. They are workers, uninsured by employers, taxed like corporations, and progressively wiped out by machines.
The term "redistribution" was coined by politicians to mean the "upper class should redistribute to the lower classes".
Translators are not upper class by their own working income. They qualify as recipients of redistribution.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Jean Dimitriadis

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
Working class Oct 16, 2021

I do not own any real estate and I inherited nothing. Everything I do or have done, and all my assets, come from my own efforts. I live by the work I do and nothing else. I have had no privileges. In other words I am a member of the working class.

As for redistribution: I give donations to the homeless because I've been homeless myself and who knows - it could happen again.

"Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the best man winning than the man
... See more
I do not own any real estate and I inherited nothing. Everything I do or have done, and all my assets, come from my own efforts. I live by the work I do and nothing else. I have had no privileges. In other words I am a member of the working class.

As for redistribution: I give donations to the homeless because I've been homeless myself and who knows - it could happen again.

"Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the best man winning than the man who inherited his father's store or farm."

- C. Wright Mills

[Edited at 2021-10-16 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Jocelyne Cuenin
Kay Denney

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
عضو (2007)
هولندي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Sorry Tom ... Oct 16, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

"Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the best man winning than the man who inherited his father's store or farm."

- C. Wright Mills

[Edited at 2021-10-16 17:13 GMT]

... but I couldn't resist agreeing with your post (and quote it here fully just in case you erase or edit it again).
Edited:
And back to the topic: Yes, I sometimes donate some money to charity organizations I trust, just because I know they do a good job. People are first.

"Do good things and talk about it"
- Georg-Volkmar Graf Zedtwitz-Arnim

A well-known proverb in German, to blame people, who dare to talk about their good deeds. I don't feel addressed, because I only write about the very few good deeds I sometimes do (which involves - but not exclusively - donating some money).

[Bearbeitet am 2021-10-16 18:46 GMT]

Tom in London
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
More about C. Wright Mills Oct 16, 2021

https://tinyurl.com/yeog9bp7

P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
هولندا
عضو (2010)
أنجليزي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
On/Off topic Oct 17, 2021

Let's start with a riddle. Whoever uttered the following statement?
“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

Was it that pesky Karl Marx? No, it wasn't. I knew it, it must be one of them eggheads-shmeggheads from France, those arrogant frogs who – famously – don't even have a word for entrepreneur.

No, according to Luke, 3:11, those are John the Baptist's words. Notice that there
... See more
Let's start with a riddle. Whoever uttered the following statement?
“Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

Was it that pesky Karl Marx? No, it wasn't. I knew it, it must be one of them eggheads-shmeggheads from France, those arrogant frogs who – famously – don't even have a word for entrepreneur.

No, according to Luke, 3:11, those are John the Baptist's words. Notice that there are no ifs and buts regarding giving clothes and food to lazy, whiny people, who couldn't recognise the innumerable, fat chances of living the American dream, if they punched them in their faces.

But I digress. Let's go back on topic. I'm a selfish old witch who doesn't do charity. I always pay my taxes till the last eurocent, some years more, much more than others, so much more that I can still feel the most delicate parts of my body burning with the effort to let go.
Nonetheless, as painful as it is, paying taxes and thus doing our civic duty is a necessary, excellent and honourable thing.

I'd rather have the Dutch government to allocate my hard-earned money for me. I still believe in the power of democracy and in free elections (yep, we do have those in Europe), and in the good judgment of most of those in charge. You may say I'm self-deluded, and you may be right.

Let's face it, some causes are less sexy than others. If we'd leave it to people to choose where their donations should go, we could end up with animal shelters drowning in gold, while public libraries would be forced to shut down for good.

And don't get me started on humans, they're so infuriating – l'enfer, c'est les autres indeed. But help is sorely needed everywhere, even in rich countries, and we're all in this together, whether we like it or not. No one can ignore the suffering and misery of the Wretched of the Earth or – less dramatically – the need for decent, well-built and well-maintained social infrastructure.

Therefore, I'm all for a polite yet firm steering towards the redistribution of money. If that means paying even more taxes than ever in the near future, so be it. I want to be able to pay millions of euros in taxes, because that'd mean I'm making billions, highly unlikely with translation, but a girl can dream.

That auspicious day, I'll buy a big pot of vaseline, lie down and think of the Netherlands.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Kay Denney
Matthias Brombach
Tom in London
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
فرنسا
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
. Oct 17, 2021

P.L.F. Persio wrote:
Therefore, I'm all for a polite yet firm steering towards the redistribution of money. If that means paying even more taxes than ever in the near future, so be it. I want to be able to pay millions of euros in taxes, because that'd mean I'm making billions, highly unlikely with translation, but a girl can dream.

I agree fully, except that I really don't think it's people like us who should be paying more taxes. If only those with enough money to reach for the stars paid the same proportion as us, there'd be enough to help all the poor.

P.L.F. Persio
Abba Storgen (X)
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
تركيا
Local time: 08:09
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
Tom, the British need your blood Oct 17, 2021

This is apparently old news, but a friend just sent me this today. I thought it's in keeping with the topic as far as donation and redistribution go (in a bizarre sort of way):
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/british-urgently-want-the-blood-of-irish-people-1.1890761

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
ha ha Oct 17, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

This is apparently old news, but a friend just sent me this today. I thought it's in keeping with the topic as far as donation and redistribution go (in a bizarre sort of way):
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/british-urgently-want-the-blood-of-irish-people-1.1890761

Thanks Baran. The English are so desperate to be Irish that they're willing to have our blood injected in them.

Baran Keki

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 00:09
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
wisdom Oct 18, 2021

In response to an earlier comment, John the Baptist was teaching to do good in love and to not be selfish. He did not say for the government to take your second garment and decide whom to "help" or how. We should give as we see the need and have opportunity. When we are directly involved, we are able to show compassion, love, and encouragement. How can you effectively help your neighbor across the street if the government takes so much from you that you can barely make ends meet? They aren't go... See more
In response to an earlier comment, John the Baptist was teaching to do good in love and to not be selfish. He did not say for the government to take your second garment and decide whom to "help" or how. We should give as we see the need and have opportunity. When we are directly involved, we are able to show compassion, love, and encouragement. How can you effectively help your neighbor across the street if the government takes so much from you that you can barely make ends meet? They aren't going to give to your neighbor; they are going to do with it what they want. If we want someone else to do the work, we can give to organizations who do in accordance with our wishes. You don't have to worry about any crazy imbalance; the government cannot be trusted to do justice any more than the sum of many individual charities here and there. The government is made up of fallible people, too, and unfortunately, they make crazy and bad decisions sometimes.

Also, God has given Jesus to be our wisdom (I Corinthians 1:30). It isn't wise to allow moochers to take advantage of you when they are able to find and do work and contribute to the community instead of being a burden. If we love them, we will tell them the truth in kindness and not give them an excuse to continue down the wrong path. If they do well, they will grow in character and provide for their families, which in turn will help the families to be stable. If you have stable families, then you have stable communities.

II Thessalonians 3:6-13 says, "Now we command you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother or sister who leads a disorderly life and not one in accordance with the tradition which you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined way among you, nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you; not because we do not have the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves as a role model for you, so that you would follow our example. For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. Now we command and exhort such persons in the Lord Jesus Christ to work peacefully and eat their own bread. But as for you, brothers and sisters, do not grow weary of doing good."
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2011)
سويدي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Working class?! Oct 18, 2021

A translator, like an architect, is not working class. You sit in front of a desk in a nice warm room for a start, and you live off your brain, which is the ultimate silver spoon.

In His infinite wisdom, God saw fit to give my best friend and father of six a brain tumour last year and then finish him off with Covid. While the £1000 of taxed translation earnings I put towards getting him an electric bike to keep him doing what he loved for a couple more months seemed money well spen
... See more
A translator, like an architect, is not working class. You sit in front of a desk in a nice warm room for a start, and you live off your brain, which is the ultimate silver spoon.

In His infinite wisdom, God saw fit to give my best friend and father of six a brain tumour last year and then finish him off with Covid. While the £1000 of taxed translation earnings I put towards getting him an electric bike to keep him doing what he loved for a couple more months seemed money well spent, I do wish now I hadn’t declared those earnings and helped fund the government machine that tried so hard to delay his destiny. And what was left would have been better put towards the church’s appeal to restore the altarpiece. People don’t realise how little money is left for essential repairs like this after we have all given so generously and efficiently from our own pockets to ensure that not a single person in the parish is in need. Render unto Caesar…
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
Origins of Christian belief Oct 18, 2021

Christian beliefs were all agreed by men sorting out their differences. They all had different ideas. The Emperor Constantine knocked their heads together and made them come up with some answers .

Quoting from https://tinyurl.com/yhsq62m5

"The Council of Nicaea, the first ecumenical debate held by the early Christian church, concludes with the establishment of the doctrine of the H
... See more
Christian beliefs were all agreed by men sorting out their differences. They all had different ideas. The Emperor Constantine knocked their heads together and made them come up with some answers .

Quoting from https://tinyurl.com/yhsq62m5

"The Council of Nicaea, the first ecumenical debate held by the early Christian church, concludes with the establishment of the doctrine of the Holy Trinity. Convened by Roman Emperor Constantine I in May, the council also deemed the Arian belief of Christ as inferior to God as heretical, thus resolving an early church crisis.

The controversy began when Arius, an Alexandrian priest, questioned the full divinity of Christ because, unlike God, Christ was born and had a beginning. What began as an academic theological debate spread to Christian congregations throughout the empire, threatening a schism in the early Christian church. Roman Emperor Constantine I, who converted to Christianity in 312, called bishops from all over his empire to resolve the crisis and urged the adoption of a new creed that would resolve the ambiguities between Christ and God.

Meeting at Nicaea in present-day Turkey, the council established the equality of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in the Holy Trinity and asserted that only the Son became incarnate as Jesus Christ"

Phew.

[Edited at 2021-10-18 08:14 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your income do you donate or redistribute?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »