Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Do you 'vet' certain countries when applying for jobs?
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Португалия
Local time: 04:36
Член ProZ.com c 2015
английский => португальский
+ ...
I carry out my own investigation or due diligence Dec 12, 2023

Like Teresa, I only "vet" agencies that aren't willing to pay my rates.
On the other hand, if an agency has a Blue Board records here, I'm certainly going to "investigate" them thoroughly to see if they have a good reputation, so that I don't have any problems with no payments or late payments, and other issues.
I carry out my own investigation or due diligence which is a bit different from vetting someone. Perhaps a question asked along these lines would be a better choice.
I'
... See more
Like Teresa, I only "vet" agencies that aren't willing to pay my rates.
On the other hand, if an agency has a Blue Board records here, I'm certainly going to "investigate" them thoroughly to see if they have a good reputation, so that I don't have any problems with no payments or late payments, and other issues.
I carry out my own investigation or due diligence which is a bit different from vetting someone. Perhaps a question asked along these lines would be a better choice.
I've mentioned somewhere before that one of my best and first clients was an agency in Cairo.
I even had the opportunity to work there on a project that involved several languages, including Dutch, and I even met a PM lady who was a native German and a few French co-workers.
Also, I have a very dear client in Hong Kong who, during the course of our professional relationship, she even sent me beautiful photos of her wedding.
Relations with my clients involve not only my professionalism, but also my friendship.
Some people have a wrong idea about other continents, countries and their people.
Only by experiencing, living and interacting with people on site we can give an informed opinion.
Yes, the question could be interpreted as racist, but I can be mistaken and I give the benefit of the doubt.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Jianrong Sun
P.L.F. Persio
Lingua 5B

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Турция
Local time: 06:36
Член ProZ.com
английский => турецкий
Perhaps Dec 12, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I've always found it weird anyway that a US or Indian or Egyptian agency offers translations into Dutch.

Perhaps that's why you see the "No agencies, only freelancers" sign in some of the job ads.

Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Бельгия
Local time: 05:36
Член ProZ.com c 2020
французский => голландский
+ ...
. Dec 12, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
Yes, the question could be interpreted as racist, but I can be mistaken and I give the benefit of the doubt.

If we just read what it says, there's nothing racist about it.

I think this question applies to every translator, no matter where he or she lives. If I would be an Egyptian citizen and a Belgian agency or direct client asks me to translate something into Arab, I would also be a little suspicious. The distance invites for mor irregularities or practical problems, that's all there is to it, in my opinion.

(EDIT WHILE STILL EDITING : I really wrote 'into Egyptian' first 😬)

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Португалия
Член ProZ.com c 2015
+ ...
There's a difference Dec 12, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

If we just read what it says, there's nothing racist about it.

I think this question applies to every translator, no matter where he or she lives. If I would be an Egyptian citizen and a Belgian agency or direct client asks me to translate something into Arab, I would also be a little suspicious. The distance invites for mor irregularities or practical problems, that's all there is to it, in my opinion.

(EDIT WHILE STILL EDITING : I really wrote 'into Egyptian' first 😬)

I said it could be interpreted as racist, I am not saying it is... There's a difference
I'm not sure if I quite understand you about that "little suspicious".
I don't mind working for other countries outside Europe, as long as they pay me on time, accept my rates and a healthy working relationship can be built. This way I think I can avoid problems if I clarify things with the client or the agency straight away.
I understood you... "into Egyptian Arabic" and for the connoisseurs "Masri".

P.L.F. Persio
Lieven Malaise

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Великобритания
Член ProZ.com c 2011
шведский => английский
+ ...
Si Dec 12, 2023

I never accept jobs from Italy, for obvious reasons.

Angie Garbarino
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Член ProZ.com c 2003
французский => итальянский
+ ...
I understand Dec 12, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I never accept jobs from Italy, for obvious reasons.

But for commercial reasons, because many Italian agencies tend to pay after 3 months.

[Edited at 2023-12-12 18:54 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Член ProZ.com c 2003
+ ...
No, it is not racist Dec 12, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
Isn't this question 'racist' or something?

Because it is based on commercial purposes, not on their culture.

There is a big difference. I am afraid what I often meant is not clear, perhaps my English is not good enough.

To answer to the poll, as long as they accept my rates, have a good BB rate, and accept my payment terms, they can be based in Uzbekistan, or in Patagonia, does not matter.

Indeed, I have clients in Sweden, USA, Japan, Australia, France, UK (this one is not paying BTW), Spain, Czech Republic and Russia (before the war).

[Edited at 2023-12-12 15:34 GMT]

Liena Vijupe
Tom in London

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 20:36
Член ProZ.com c 2006
норвежский => английский
+ ...
Italian agencies Dec 12, 2023

I’ve only worked for two Italian agencies, but they paid my highest rate and paid on time.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Член ProZ.com c 2003
+ ...
Of course Dec 12, 2023

Michele Fauble wrote:

I’ve only worked for two Italian agencies, but they paid my highest rate and paid on time.

Many is not all of them. Glad to hear that!

[Edited at 2023-12-12 15:37 GMT]

Tom in London

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Индия
Local time: 09:06
английский => тамильский
+ ...
Nothing wrong to raise this question! Dec 12, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
One particular middle eastern country that thinks it's a European democracy (you know which one)

Might that be the one I'm hailing from? If so, you'll be pleased to know that any pretensions to European style democracy have long since been abandoned (decades ago in fact), but if you're referring to the other country that's currently busy bombing the shit out of people, I'm not sure about their style of government.
Isn't this question 'racist' or something? Surely we aren't supposed to name countries or people from certain parts of the world, lest we are accused of 'stereotyping'?

I don't find anything wrong in this question. Racism or stereotyping is not involved. Only the guilty will feel guilty.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Латвия
Local time: 06:36
Член ProZ.com c 2014
французский => латышский
+ ...
kind of Dec 12, 2023

I am less inclined to respond to offers from certain countries or regions, starting with my own. Chances are my rates will be too high or I will just get what's left after several agencies involved in the chain to the end client will have taken their cut.

But "vetting" is too strong, perhaps. I do not really care where a client is based if they seem reliable, we can agree on rates and conditions and the cooperation is pleasant. Just like I don't blindly trust agencies from "good" co
... See more
I am less inclined to respond to offers from certain countries or regions, starting with my own. Chances are my rates will be too high or I will just get what's left after several agencies involved in the chain to the end client will have taken their cut.

But "vetting" is too strong, perhaps. I do not really care where a client is based if they seem reliable, we can agree on rates and conditions and the cooperation is pleasant. Just like I don't blindly trust agencies from "good" countries, plenty of bad apples there too.
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Lingua 5B
Philippe Etienne

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Португалия
Член ProZ.com c 2015
+ ...
A different experience Dec 12, 2023

I have never worked with an Italian agency, because they probably don't have much work in my native language.
Who knows?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Босния и Герцеговина
Член ProZ.com c 2009
английский => хорватский
+ ...
I never did Dec 12, 2023

Michele Fauble wrote:

Can’t remember I worked much with Italian agencies, but when I was in Italy I met some of the best and most genuine people ever (Italians). Hard-working, honest and friendly people. And they love food, like I do!

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Laura Bazzana
Laura Bazzana  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 00:36
Член ProZ.com
английский => испанский
patagonia Dec 12, 2023

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:
Isn't this question 'racist' or something?

Because it is based on commercial purposes, not on their culture.

There is a big difference. I am afraid what I often meant is not clear, perhaps my English is not good enough.

To answer to the poll, as long as they accept my rates, have a good BB rate, and accept my payment terms, they can be based in Uzbekistan, or in Patagonia, does not matter.

Indeed, I have clients in Sweden, USA, Japan, Australia, France, UK (this one is not paying BTW), Spain, Czech Republic and Russia (before the war).

[Edited at 2023-12-12 15:34 GMT]

Patagonia is not a country

Angie Garbarino
Член ProZ.com c 2003
+ ...
Yes sure Dec 12, 2023

Laura Bazzana wrote:

Patagonia is not a country

This was just an example for naming a very far place.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you 'vet' certain countries when applying for jobs?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »