Thread poster: Marina Puertas
Maria Druetta
Maria Druetta  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
I received the same e-mail Sep 4, 2010

What are we supposed to do in these cases??

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:31
German to English
+ ...
See earlier replies Sep 4, 2010

med80 wrote:
What are we supposed to do in these cases??

See the replies from Enrique and Walter earlier in this thread (and look at the wiki by following the link in Enrique's posting). In any case do not send a reply to the sender of the email.
Oliver

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Fascinating... Sep 5, 2010

Aside from the fact that is a scam, I am fascinated by the tonality of this letter.

So, that's what is considered the correct approach when contacting a translator?

offer you this pay translation job and be I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with your Translations...

Please List the Languages You can Translate From English into For more Partnership {Aside This if Any}...

I have made contacts with a reliable publisher who is now included in the project to complete the job after you must have finalized and done with the translation correctly...

Sorry, I do not deal in pay pal, money books or Bank accounts for a Start.
{Security reasons}...

The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation in the project and as standby Half Paid translator for you to understand the urgency in need of this project;

I'd want a perfect Job and arrangement from you.

If this is well read and understood by you, Please reply back with your details as follows for the cheque payment to be mailed out to you:

TRANSLATOR INFORMATION:

Name in full:
Full Address { P.O.Box are not applicable}:
Post code {if Available}:
Office Phone#
Cell#
Home#

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 5 days
Rosa Paredes
Rosa Paredes  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chapter 10 Sep 5, 2010

I received this 2 days ago
Dear Translator,

I am happy to inform you that you are one of the few Translator chosen out of the screening exercise, I am pleased with your estimated total amount for the Project. I here by decide to offer you this pay translation job and be I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with your Translations...

Please List the Languages You can Translate From English into For more Partnership {Aside This if Any}...
... See more
I received this 2 days ago
Dear Translator,

I am happy to inform you that you are one of the few Translator chosen out of the screening exercise, I am pleased with your estimated total amount for the Project. I here by decide to offer you this pay translation job and be I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with your Translations...

I have made contacts with a reliable publisher who is now included in the project to complete the job after you must have finalized and done with the translation correctly...

You have till third week in this month to get yourself prepare for the document pending it being sorted completely by our source. An initial advance Check/Postal Money Order payment has been made available for you and the publisher as a standby translator for this project pending the time Document for translations will be ready for you to translate...

Payment Terms:

Sorry, I do not deal in pay pal, money books or Bank accounts for a Start. {Security reasons}... A certified United States bank Check or a Postal Money Order {almost like Cash} Higher than your advance payment will be mailed out to you in which you will deduct $500 which is half of your payment and forward the left funds on the Check to the publisher as part of their payment as well to avoid delay with our timing for the project... The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation in the project and as standby Half Paid translator for you to understand the urgency in need of this project; your balance will be paid in cash or into your designated account immediately after Your translation is completed...

I'd want a perfect Job and arrangement from you.

If this is well read and understood by you, Please reply back with your details as follows for the Check payment to be mailed out to you:

TRANSLATOR INFORMATION:

Name in full:
Full Address { P.O.Box are not applicable}:
Zip code {if Available}:
Office Phone#
Cell#
Home#

I wait to read from you as soon as possible...

Regards,

xxxxx

[Edited at 2010-09-06 20:23 GMT]
Collapse

Andes Trans
Andes Trans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yet another spam Sep 5, 2010

Got this one yesterday...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am [name hidden at the request of Proz], a project manager (PM), currenlty looking for translators located in the United States of America who can translate from Spanish to different target languages {Reply back with the language pair you are most confortable working with} to take part on a project of approximately 15,000 words {fields of expert
... See more
Got this one yesterday...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am [name hidden at the request of Proz], a project manager (PM), currenlty looking for translators located in the United States of America who can translate from Spanish to different target languages {Reply back with the language pair you are most confortable working with} to take part on a project of approximately 15,000 words {fields of expertise vary from technical, legal, commercial, medical, poetry & literature}. The use of CAT tools such as Trados or Wordfast would be highly appreciated.
If you are interested, please reply back including your {RATE per source word in $$}. Also, be ready for a long time partnership and you will need to be able to read your email at least twice a day for urgent updates about the Project...

My contact phone number is {phone number (fake anyways) hidden at the request of Proz}, but I highly recommend sending your Resume/CV via email message. At the moment, you can reach me best at {e-mail address hidden at the request of Proz}.

I hope to hear from you soon.

[name hidden at the request of Proz]
Project Manager (PM)
[phone number (fake anyways) hidden at the request of Proz]

Sender Address: [e-mail address hidden at the request of Proz] (not verified)

Originating IP address of the sender: 190.139.138.8

[Edited at 2010-09-05 22:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-06 23:37 GMT]
Collapse

linda gueye
linda gueye  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to French
scam Sep 10, 2010

Yes I received something similar too...I found it suspicious but replied anyway...then I had the person on the phone which made me believe it was not a scam...but they said they would send the document by fedex and than I would receive a check and that I could cash part of it and send the remaining to another translator that I would need to meet...I asked why not send a check directly to that translator...never received any convincing response...nor any document so I am glad I did not do anythin... See more
Yes I received something similar too...I found it suspicious but replied anyway...then I had the person on the phone which made me believe it was not a scam...but they said they would send the document by fedex and than I would receive a check and that I could cash part of it and send the remaining to another translator that I would need to meet...I asked why not send a check directly to that translator...never received any convincing response...nor any document so I am glad I did not do anything...Collapse

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:31
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
attempt at money laundering? Sep 14, 2010

I recently got a rather unprofessional enquiry from England from a person pretending to have written an article about moral and religious subjects. He wanted me to translate it and said he was being funded by non-profit organisations who would send me cheques for payment.

Moreover, he told me that the cheques would be for a huge amount (some 1000 Euros instead of the around 100 Euros the job would have been worth) because the non-profit organisations would only give him cheques for
... See more
I recently got a rather unprofessional enquiry from England from a person pretending to have written an article about moral and religious subjects. He wanted me to translate it and said he was being funded by non-profit organisations who would send me cheques for payment.

Moreover, he told me that the cheques would be for a huge amount (some 1000 Euros instead of the around 100 Euros the job would have been worth) because the non-profit organisations would only give him cheques for lump sums. He asked me to wire the extra amount back to his account via Western Union as soon as I got the cheque.

I responded that I accept either wire transfer or Paypal, nothing else, because it became clear to me that this was not the out of touch, naive do-gooder he pretended to be.

a) he wanted me to transfer huge amounts of money to his account immediately for a cheque that could bounce weeks, months or even years after it would have been credited to my account. There's nothing you can do against the withdrawal of the funds when a cheque bounces.

b) the whole thing reeked of money laundering to me. "Send her a cheque from this drug money and get some good, clean money back" - that was my suspicion.

Please beware of fishy pracices like these! My warning may sound "old hat" to most of you, but as the "Nigeria connection" proves, there are people who still fall for these kinds of tricks.
Collapse

LISA GONZALEZ LAGO
LISA GONZALEZ LAGO  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hello from Miami think I have someone trying to Scam me Oct 13, 2010

Can anyone tell me if this company is legitimate.. they are located in China and have sent me several files to translate at $0.025 per word. They said they would send me first a PO and not to start working until I received such PO. I am skeptical since I am new to this ProZ.

Appreciate comm
... See more
Can anyone tell me if this company is legitimate.. they are located in China and have sent me several files to translate at $0.025 per word. They said they would send me first a PO and not to start working until I received such PO. I am skeptical since I am new to this ProZ.

Appreciate comments.
Thanks.
my email is [email protected]

Thanks again.

[Editado a las 2010-10-13 23:05 GMT]

[Editado a las 2010-10-13 23:06 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Scam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »