Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2010

I am sharing this here mostly because I could not believe that someone would send this out with so many spelling errors and honestly expect it to be taken seriously. They spent so much time on the graphics, they neglected to use spell check:

EFTPS ONLINE
THE EAISEST WAY TO PAY YOUR FDEERAL TAXES
Your Federal Tax Payment ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has been not accepted.
I am sharing this here mostly because I could not believe that someone would send this out with so many spelling errors and honestly expect it to be taken seriously. They spent so much time on the graphics, they neglected to use spell check:

EFTPS ONLINE
THE EAISEST WAY TO PAY YOUR FDEERAL TAXES
Your Federal Tax Payment ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has been not accepted.
EFTPS: The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System
WARNING!
You are uisng an Ofifcial United States Government System, which may be used only for atuhorized purposes. Unauthorized modification of any information stored on this sytsem may result in criminal prosecution. The Govermnent may monitor and audit the usage of system, and all pesrons are hereby notified that the use of this system cnostitutes cosnent to such monitoring and auditing. Unauthorized attempts to upload infromation and/or change information on this web site are stritcly prohibited and are subject to proescution under theComptuer Farud and Abuse Act of 1986 and Title 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 and 1030.
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:06
English to Russian
+ ...
You made my day, Jeff Oct 18, 2010

Loved the pselling!

Tomas Forro
Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:06
English to Slovak
+ ...
It's not that they have problems with spelling Oct 18, 2010

Probably this is a tactics to fool the anti spam bots.
Since the anti spam algorithms are set to watch certain phrases to recognize spam messages as unsolicited, the spammers are trying to overcome the security by using typos.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:06
German to English
Received similar scams Oct 19, 2010

The spelling and wording were correct, and googling some of the text took me to a real IRS web page. I received the message shortly after making my quarterly tax payment which is why I looked into it. However, I pay my taxes by check, not by EFT. I know enough not to click on links in e-mail like this.

A few days ago, I received a similar message, indicating that my check to the IRS had bounced, and that I should use an alternate EFT payment site to avoid "criminal penalties." I im
... See more
The spelling and wording were correct, and googling some of the text took me to a real IRS web page. I received the message shortly after making my quarterly tax payment which is why I looked into it. However, I pay my taxes by check, not by EFT. I know enough not to click on links in e-mail like this.

A few days ago, I received a similar message, indicating that my check to the IRS had bounced, and that I should use an alternate EFT payment site to avoid "criminal penalties." I immediately deleted the message.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Tax Payment scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »