Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Have received these emails and got very suspicious with the second...
Thread poster: Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:23
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2012

> You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
> Author: Theresa Hartman.
> [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in
> when sending this message.]
> Author's IP address: 96.9.161.252
> Message type: Job-related
> -----------
>
> Hi, I need you to translate an abstract :- Trends in
> incidence and detection of advanced breast cancer at
> biennial screening mammography in The United State Of
> America
... See more
> You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
> Author: Theresa Hartman.
> [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in
> when sending this message.]
> Author's IP address: 96.9.161.252
> Message type: Job-related
> -----------
>
> Hi, I need you to translate an abstract :- Trends in
> incidence and detection of advanced breast cancer at
> biennial screening mammography in The United State Of
> America: a population based study. Translate from English to
> Danish, it has total of 2388 words. Let me know what your
> charges are per word. I'm located in Des Moines, Iowa! You
> can always text me on my line..(515) 423-0813!
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Theresa

Until here I am willing to hear more, but then this reply arrived:

> Hello Theresa,
>
> Thank you for visiting my page and for your mail!
>
> My rate is xxxx. Is it possible to view the file before confirming?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards
> Lise

Good day, Lise.

Thank you so very much for your interest shown in working on this project.

Yes, i read more about you. And all th you have done on your profile, that is why i consider you to be the best in position to work on this project. Thanks for your quick response once again and the price is okay for me,i got your details from ProZ site. I am working with an NGO's on this project! I will attach the abstract documents to you, however,i want you to proofread it and send it back to me through email.

I want it to be ready in A week time. This project am just starting its initiative of my late wife Theresa Hartman, who died of breast cancer some 2 yrs ago, so i want to fulfill her wish! to The abstract :- Trends in incidence and detection of advanced breast cancer at biennial screening mammography in The United State Of America: a population based study. I'm doing this to fulfill the promise i make to my late wife , who died of breast cancer. I just started an NGO which we got fund support from many individuals and companies. I chose this particular population based study as it was due to our late detection that untimely took the life of my beautiful dearie..Theresa.

I want you to get back to me with your full contact details such as:- name, address, city, state, zip code, home&cell phone #, as i do seek fund to support this cause, payment will be through check, which will be issue and mail to you by the individual who is supporting this project.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you, Mrs Lise.

Richard T. Hartman
(515) 423-0813

Did anyone receive this or similar as well? The only thing certain is that the phone # is actually from Iowa

Best
Lise

I now noticed more and more errors in this message...

[Edited at 2012-09-04 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wrong number Sep 4, 2012

Well, one thing I can tell you is that's not Richard T. Hartman's phone number but someone else - I called it.

[Edited at 2012-09-04 17:52 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:23
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
"Best regards. Theresa" ?? Sep 4, 2012

I thought the poor woman has passed away.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Nicole - perhaps bad timing? Sep 4, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I thought the poor woman has passed away.

Obviously she passed away between the first and second e-mails!

Lise Leavitt
United States
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sender's address blocked Sep 4, 2012

Of course a scam...

I didn't want to call the number, but rather hear if anyone else had been contacted. This mail was sent through Proz. Sad that some people will try to be fraudulent with something as tragic.

Thank you all for your input!

Lise

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:23
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
I will issue a scam alert report Sep 4, 2012

A fast track scam: Theresa wrote a message but before she could send the second she passed away and a NGO was created in her name.

Richard created a NGO but he did not think about providing the NGO's name

Someone who does know Richard answers the phone number provided

The IP address corresponds to Scranton, Pennsylvania, far away from Iowa

And a classic of most overpayment scams: payment will be done by a check issued by a person different from
... See more
A fast track scam: Theresa wrote a message but before she could send the second she passed away and a NGO was created in her name.

And a classic of most overpayment scams: payment will be done by a check issued by a person different from the one contacting you.

I will issue a scam alert report.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Lise Leavitt
United States
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Sep 4, 2012

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

And a classic of most overpayment scams: payment will be done by a check issued by a person different from the one contacting you.

I will issue a scam alert report.

Regards,
Enrique

Thanks Enrique! That is what comes to mind; the classic check scam.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Very slow email delivery Sep 5, 2012

This email took a l o n g time to get delivered, considering that Theresa's died two years ago (that's what her husband says) but her email only just arrived.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:23
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Tragedy Sep 5, 2012

Lise Leavitt wrote:

Of course a scam...

I didn't want to call the number, but rather hear if anyone else had been contacted. This mail was sent through Proz. Sad that some people will try to be fraudulent with something as tragic.

Thank you all for your input!

Lise

Yes, it is sad, a real tear-jerker aimed at sympathetic hearts. A classic, just like the scams regarding cancer patients, preferably children.

ematos13
ematos13
English to Spanish
+ ...
He has a new name Sep 6, 2012

Hello all: I just got an email with the same telephone number and the person now goes by the name of Dennices Montalvo. Same exact email as the ones reported.

Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another variant ... Sep 7, 2012

I got an email today from "Dennices Montalvo," requesting a translation of the same article from Danish into English, "I'm doing this to fulfill my late wife promise , who died of breast cancer." This email purported to come from the Across website rather than Proz.com.

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:23
English to Danish
+ ...
received the same message Sep 7, 2012

I received the same initial contact as well a few days ago but immediately wrote it off as a scam.
The last two lines - "I'm located in Des Moines, Iowa! You can always text me on my line..(515) 423-0813!" - were what mainly triggered my suspicion. "Text me on my line??" And such enthusiasm about being located in Des Moines - really?!

[Edited at 2012-09-07 07:32 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removal requested by poster.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Louise Hansen
Louise Hansen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Danish
+ ...
Got the same email from Dennices Montalvo and a check with overpayment Sep 27, 2012

Hi there,

I just wanted to share my experience with this "client" who goes by the name Dennices Montalvo, from Des Moines, Iowa. Very poor written English, and when it came to payment he said that his NGO by mistake issued a check payment in my name for an incorrect amount (4 times the amount we had agreed!). He then wanted me to cash the check, take an additional $100 for myself as a tip for running around (!), then transfer the remaining amount back to his NGO via Money Gram or W
... See more
Hi there,

I just wanted to share my experience with this "client" who goes by the name Dennices Montalvo, from Des Moines, Iowa. Very poor written English, and when it came to payment he said that his NGO by mistake issued a check payment in my name for an incorrect amount (4 times the amount we had agreed!). He then wanted me to cash the check, take an additional $100 for myself as a tip for running around (!), then transfer the remaining amount back to his NGO via Money Gram or Western Union. I showed the check to my bank, and was informed that this sort of over payment is a very common scam, the check will bounce back.

This is the email where I got suspicious and decided not to pursue getting any money for my work:

"It was my pleasure doing business with you. I think we can work as a long term partner. My NGO's travel all over the world for seminars, meetings and conferences.

I receive a text from Mrs Jeanette M. Ellington from Fallon, Neveda who voluntarily support this project, due to her suffering from breast cancer. She said the payment has been delivered at your front door. But, she told me the mistake she make issuing the check payment, she promise my new NGO the total sum of $2,100 to run the project and arrange for my traveling to Copenhagen, Denmark for the seminar.

The total sum was all issue on your name, instead of different check payment. With the integrity you are putting to this project, i have the trust in you in helping my NGO with the proceed. I want you to cash the validated check from Mrs Jeanette, deduct your own amount for the project, and also take $50 extra for yourself, and have the balance proceed send to my NGO travel agent.

Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as you receive the check, and cash it. You will be require to use Money gram to send out the balance on the check to my NGO travel agent for her to put in my document for visa application and flight ticket to Copenhagen , Denmark. You can get Money gram at any wal mart close by..

Celeste Johnson
Ontario, CA 91761
Amt: $?
Text question and Answer: (If applicable)
Reference Number: (8 digit)

Thank you for your mutual understanding and kind gesture.

Mr Dennices Montalvo

I hope this will make other potential translators aware of the kind of scam that goes around in the "translation" world and that they will see this as a red flag. I wish I had!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have received these emails and got very suspicious with the second...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »