Possible scam Spanish translation project offer from United Arab Emirates.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 11:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2022

Dear colleagues from Proz.com,

I hope you are well.

I’m writing to you because I received an email message around three days ago offering me a Spanish translation project from Dubai. The name of the person is Henry Baker.

I’m suspecting that this email message could be a scam. I will be glad to copy and paste the copy of the email messages for you. I want to verify if the email message is legitimate or if someone is trying to do a scam to me.

... See more
Dear colleagues from Proz.com,

I hope you are well.

I’m writing to you because I received an email message around three days ago offering me a Spanish translation project from Dubai. The name of the person is Henry Baker.

I’m suspecting that this email message could be a scam. I will be glad to copy and paste the copy of the email messages for you. I want to verify if the email message is legitimate or if someone is trying to do a scam to me.

Here is the copy of the first email message:

Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Spanish? I want it submitted before December 10th.Please
respond back if you can meet up with this deadline. Thank
you

-----------
Author: Henry

Thanks for your help and cooperation, Spanish native speakers, feel free to write to me in Spanish.
Best regards,
Yugoslavia
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:11
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
As it has been repeated many times before... Nov 13, 2022

...nobody will be able "to verify if the email message is legitimate" if nothing is known about the sender: no email address, no message headers, no IP, no information if this has been sent through ProZ.com or other site. Without all this information posting in this forum is just a waste of time.

Thayenga
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michael Newton
Barbara Carrara
philgoddard

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
Serbian to English
+ ...
What's wrong? Nov 13, 2022

I can't see anything wrong so far - nor anything proven right.

Plenty of businesses are based in Dubai but operate everywhere else - so nothing wrong a priori with getting an inquiry from Dubai.

Do some due diligence - including talking on the phone with this potential client?

Michael Newton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The same? Nov 13, 2022

Could he be the same Henry Baker mentioned here? https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/336199-possible_scam_organic_farming_translation-page3.html

Katarzyna Slowikova

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Miss Almeida. Nov 14, 2022

Thanks for letting me know Miss Almeida. I think could be the same person. I got that message before.
Yugoslavia

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I contacted Proz.com about this message. Nov 14, 2022

I wrote the moderator about this problem. They will reply to me soon.
I sent a copy of the message that the scammer sent me.

Yugoslavia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam Spanish translation project offer from United Arab Emirates.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »