Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Deleted Forum Postings - or - Is the "Edit" function being abused?
Thread poster: Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:39
English to Spanish
Jan 10, 2005

Maybe it's just me, but I've lately seen an increasing number of threads with deleted posts, and I sometimes feel like I'm reconstructing a murder scene; you get clues of what's been going on by glimpsing parts of the deleted messages quoted on replies, slowly getting an idea of what was originally posted.

Although it's nice to be able to edit posts to trim an idea here and there (and fix the occasional typo or mistake!), to use this function to completely take back what was stated
... See more
Maybe it's just me, but I've lately seen an increasing number of threads with deleted posts, and I sometimes feel like I'm reconstructing a murder scene; you get clues of what's been going on by glimpsing parts of the deleted messages quoted on replies, slowly getting an idea of what was originally posted.

Although it's nice to be able to edit posts to trim an idea here and there (and fix the occasional typo or mistake!), to use this function to completely take back what was stated seems to me disrespectful to the colleagues who have already taken the time to answer and to everyone else who will later on find the now useless thread.

Netiquette rules encourage the idea of forums as real life conversations; you can certainly change your mind on a certain subject, or apologize if your words sounded too harsh or if you were too impulsive. But you cannot pretend it never happened...
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
German to French
+ ...
Please appologize Jan 10, 2005

It did happened to me: my comment has never shown up in the forum although the asker quoted my comment and answered it.
It is not always the one who writes who doesn't want things to be said, It is like in my case some kind of moderator who doesn't like what I say (sometimes to no apparent reason).
I must say it is no fun to write something when I know that of my 5 last comments, 3 had been removed (and 2 of the case never heard why - just never appeared). I always stand for what I s
... See more
It did happened to me: my comment has never shown up in the forum although the asker quoted my comment and answered it.
It is not always the one who writes who doesn't want things to be said, It is like in my case some kind of moderator who doesn't like what I say (sometimes to no apparent reason).
I must say it is no fun to write something when I know that of my 5 last comments, 3 had been removed (and 2 of the case never heard why - just never appeared). I always stand for what I say, and if my comment once more disappear, I appologize in advance.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nothing to do with moderators' preferences Jan 10, 2005

Correction, if I may...

Please note that moderators cannot edit the content of postings - only the header. Message headers are edited if they are unclear, in order to facilitate reading the forums.

Any posting that is not in line with forum rules is not shown at all. In both cases we regularly contact the posters, either using a selection of standard messages, or through the profile.

What I'd like to make very clear is that moderator actions have nothing to do with moderators' preferences: it's our job to make sure the forum rules are adhered to. If you disagree with any moderator action taken (or if you believe a posting disappeared for no apparent reason), please contact site staff using a Support Request.

I must say it is no fun to write something when I know that of my 5 last comments, 3 had been removed (and 2 of the case never heard why - just never appeared). I always stand for what I say, and if my comment once more disappear, I appologize in advance.

Can you please contact me with one or two examples? I'd like to find out what happened there.

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Trying to understand what Yolande is talking about Jan 10, 2005

I wonder whether Yolande isn't talking about comments made in KudoZ.
Usually comments in KudoZ are removed when they are against the KudoZ rules, and there is an automatic message sent with an explanation (there should be at least, if the system works correctly).

What did you mean Yolande?

Claudia

[Edited at 2005-01-10 17:45]

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is this the kind of thing you mean, Rossana? Jan 10, 2005

In http://www.proz.com/topic/28224 the original poster edited the first post so as to delete the statement of the problem. Currently the leading post reads:
Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your input. well, i have to say what is said is obvious. so better to stop this discussion and get back to work. Wish you all a great day. Post is deleted.

...and so anyone who wants to know what it was all about has to play detective and deduce the original message from the responses, as Rossana suggested.

[Edited at 2005-01-10 21:19]

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Claryfing Jan 10, 2005

I will just clarify and send later on a descritption to ralf:
I am not talking about kudoz, I am talking about forum and my comments not being shown. I got a notification for the last one but not for the other ones, they just never appeared and I stopped looking for them when the thread disappeared (got too old).

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Were they not shown, or didn't you get a notification? Jan 10, 2005

Hi again,
Trying to identify the problem...
I got a notification for the last one but not for the other ones, they just never appeared and I stopped looking for them when the thread disappeared (got too old).

Are you sure they did not appear, or did you deduce this from the fact that you didn't get a notification (which may have been due to other reasons)?

Thanks, Ralf

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could it be? Jan 10, 2005

Postings from Platinum members and from members with verified identities are shown immediately, while those of non-Plat-non-ID-verified members (as in your case) must be first approved by the forum mod.

Even though most such postings are made vissible in a couple of hours or less, sometimes the authorization may take a bit longer (for instance when the moderator in charge is otherwise engaged).

Threads don't dissapear when they get old. Their names may get "pushed" out
... See more
Postings from Platinum members and from members with verified identities are shown immediately, while those of non-Plat-non-ID-verified members (as in your case) must be first approved by the forum mod.

Even though most such postings are made vissible in a couple of hours or less, sometimes the authorization may take a bit longer (for instance when the moderator in charge is otherwise engaged).

Threads don't dissapear when they get old. Their names may get "pushed" out from the home directory, but then you may go to the corresponding forum and you will find there all treads, old and new.

So maybe your postings were approved but not before the thread slipped from the home directory.

Just a possibility...

Regards,
Enrique

[Edited at 2005-01-10 18:38]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Both postings are there Jan 10, 2005

Hola Enrique,
So maybe your postings were approved but not before the thread slipped from the home directory.

Just a possibility...

Spot on.

Yolande contacted me privately, with more information about the threads concerned: both postings were approved, and are visible.

Best regards,
Ralf

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
How come? Jan 10, 2005

I recently made a somewhat different experience, when I was notified via e-mail that "A new post has been made in a forum or topic you are tracking." Unfortunately, this post never ever showed up in the thread.

I can imagine what the contents were like, still I don't quite see a justification for blocking it, and I was kind of disappointed. It was not the blocked post that started the "fire"...

Regards,
Stefan

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Unauthorised posting of a private message Jan 10, 2005

Hi Stefan,
Stefan Keller wrote:

I recently made a somewhat different experience, when I was notified via e-mail that "A new post has been made in a forum or topic you are tracking." Unfortunately, this post never ever showed up in the thread.

I believe I know which one you're referring to, as we communicated on the same issue.
The posting did show up, but I removed it as it contained a private message that should not have been posted.

I can imagine what the contents were like, still I don't quite see a justification for blocking it, and I was kind of disappointed. It was not the blocked post that started the "fire"...

The message in question constituted a "harassing side message" as set out in forum rule no. 9. For this reason, appropriate action was taken against the sender. Still, here's what the forum rules prescribe for such a case:

9. No harassing side messages

Sending offensive or harassing messages to members "offline"--via the email option in profile pages or other means--is prohibited. (If you receive such a message, you should forward it to the forum moderator, or post it to site staff using the support request form.)

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
This looks like hijacking a thread Jan 10, 2005

Rossanna brought a topic that hasn't been discussed, and I'd propose to the other moderators to hide all the other contributions (mine included) that have no interest and are not related to that point.

All those who want to discuss another topic are free to start a thread.

Would you agree? Otherwise it looks like hijacking or sabotage.

Claudia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Let's just return to the main topic Jan 10, 2005

Claudia,
Rossanna brought a topic that hasn't been discussed, and I'd propose to the other moderators to hide all the other contributions (mine included) that have no interest and are not related to that point.

I beg to differ, although only in detail: there appears to be a related interest.

Agreed. However, I would not delete these postings, as they contain viable information. Any further comments not related to the original point should be made in a separate thread.

Regards,
Ralf

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Refocusing the thread Jan 10, 2005

I think, like Ralf, that we should keep all the postings, since I find them of general interest.

On the other hand, let's keep this thread for the issue Rossana brings forth. As Claudia says, whoever has other issues to discuss should open a new thread about it.

Regards,
Enrique

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Erm... Jan 10, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Would you agree? Otherwise it looks like hijacking or sabotage.

Claudia

The topic was "Deleted Forum Postings". I can't see that my posting didn't relate to this. ???

Hijacking or sabotage was by no means my intention.

Regards,
Stefan

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleted Forum Postings - or - Is the "Edit" function being abused?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »