Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]
Has anyone else got a job offer from Prof Miccoli?
Inițiatorul discuției: Romana Vlcek
KateClare
KateClare  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:24
din franceză în engleză
Scam! Jun 30, 2012

Just had exactly the same experience - very professional emails/offer/text to translate and offered 50% payment in advance. When I told him I would only accept paypal however he told me he wanted to pay by cheque and gave me a postal address for me to send my invoice to!

Was suspicious when he didn't give any address/company name - the only info I have is a yahoo email address.

Definitely not going any further.

(Like the previous post, he's not calling
... See more
Just had exactly the same experience - very professional emails/offer/text to translate and offered 50% payment in advance. When I told him I would only accept paypal however he told me he wanted to pay by cheque and gave me a postal address for me to send my invoice to!

Was suspicious when he didn't give any address/company name - the only info I have is a yahoo email address.

Definitely not going any further.

(Like the previous post, he's not calling himself professor Miccoli anymore, he's using the first name Mario. )
Collapse

JustineM (X)
JustineM (X)  Identity Verified
Cehia
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
scam Jun 30, 2012

hello

I got the same mail.
from a person Mario. The same thing 50% advance payment ...
Fishyyyy!

Anne R
Anne R
Italia
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
Scam alert Jul 14, 2012

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

A scam alert message was sent on this case.

Regards,
Enrique

Hello Enrique,

just saw another job posting today that made me think straightaway about this forum post. It may not be one and I won't tell you what job positing it is out of fear it could be a genuie one - but the fact is translators' are asked to send a quote to an individual email address again, as in Prof Micoli's case. I was wondering if making blue board/agencies or even individual send a quote via the quote system that is usually offered a way to deter such people from putting false job alerts here.

Just a thought, it may not be possible, I know...
Anne

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:24
Membru (2006)
din engleză în spaniolă
This is normal operation Jul 18, 2012

Anne R wrote:

just saw another job posting today that made me think straightaway about this forum post. It may not be one and I won't tell you what job positing it is out of fear it could be a genuie one - but the fact is translators' are asked to send a quote to an individual email address again, as in Prof Micoli's case. I was wondering if making blue board/agencies or even individual send a quote via the quote system that is usually offered a way to deter such people from putting false job alerts here.

Just a thought, it may not be possible, I know...
Anne

Hi Anne,

When a job is posted at ProZ.com, the following Contact methods are offered to the job poster:
  • Submit quote via ProZ.com
  • By email
  • By phone
  • By fax
  • By postal mail
  • Go to the URL

So a job where translators are asked to quote to a given email address is normal and it does not mean that it is a scam. Translators should do their risk management evaluation before quoting for any given job.

Regards,
    Enrique

• Tom Feise
    Tom Feise  Identity Verified
    Germania
    din engleză în germană
    + ...
    Miccoli offered Paypal advance, which never came Aug 9, 2012

Good thing I waited for the promised advance payment that he offered through Paypal, but then again he did not contact me through ProZ, but must have gleaned the address or website with my private email address from ProZ. Or, for that matter, through one of the social media (I do get quite a number of so far only legit assignments through a page on facebook).

This chap doesn't do bulk scams, he apparently picks his "victims". In my case he used a gmail.com address, miccoliprof.tonio
    ... See more
    Good thing I waited for the promised advance payment that he offered through Paypal, but then again he did not contact me through ProZ, but must have gleaned the address or website with my private email address from ProZ. Or, for that matter, through one of the social media (I do get quite a number of so far only legit assignments through a page on facebook).

This chap doesn't do bulk scams, he apparently picks his "victims". In my case he used a gmail.com address, miccoliprof.tonio before the (at)

[Edited at 2012-08-09 08:22 GMT]
    Collapse

Jennifer Hottarek
    Jennifer Hottarek  Identity Verified
    Germania
    din germană în engleză
    + ...
    potential scam (proz.com job posting #664517) Aug 13, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

It turns out that I submitted a translation wthin the given deadline after having been notified that my bid had been chosen - when I received an e-mail about the 50% advance, I initially chalked this up to inferior Englsih skills on the writer's part. I did in fact receive a cheque by mail which was credited to my bank account within two days (in the first week of August).

Just last Friday, I received a notice from my bank that this cheque had been dee
    ... See more
    Dear Colleagues,

It turns out that I submitted a translation wthin the given deadline after having been notified that my bid had been chosen - when I received an e-mail about the 50% advance, I initially chalked this up to inferior Englsih skills on the writer's part. I did in fact receive a cheque by mail which was credited to my bank account within two days (in the first week of August).

Just last Friday, I received a notice from my bank that this cheque had been deemed fraudulent, and the credit was deducted from my account. Is there any way to find out which third party initially prompted the supposed Prof. Miccoli to post the job in the first place? This seems like a sensible way to trace the actual culprit.
    Collapse

Jennifer Hottarek
    Jennifer Hottarek  Identity Verified
    Germania
    din germană în engleză
    + ...
    job offfer "English Health Care" from another site: "trans-quote.com" Aug 23, 2012

Yesterday Evening (18:30 CEST), I received a job offer from the aforementioned translation agency concerning the very same text which was the subject of the Miccoli posting inn late June. I realize that this is a departure from standard procedure as a freelancer, but might there indeed be a legitimate wqay to contact the end customer since this assignment has already been the subject of controversy?

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone else got a job offer from Prof Miccoli?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »