Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >
Has anyone else got a job offer from Prof Miccoli?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Romana Vlcek
Romana Vlcek
Romana Vlcek  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 20:34
Lid
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Jun 27, 2012

A logged in visitor who calls himself Prof. Antonio Miccoli from Italy posted a job offer here on Proz.com on 22 June - 12,450 words medical, EN>DE - for which I applied. A few days later, he sent me the text file and his translation request, accepting my quote. His communication style seems professional and I would like to do this job - but he has not sent me any billing address or any professional or contact details, except of his email address, although I have asked for it twice. Instead, he ... See more
A logged in visitor who calls himself Prof. Antonio Miccoli from Italy posted a job offer here on Proz.com on 22 June - 12,450 words medical, EN>DE - for which I applied. A few days later, he sent me the text file and his translation request, accepting my quote. His communication style seems professional and I would like to do this job - but he has not sent me any billing address or any professional or contact details, except of his email address, although I have asked for it twice. Instead, he offered me a prepayment of 50% of the cost. Hmmm... ?
Is this a scam and a waste of my time to further communicate with him? I guess, if it is a scam, he would have certainly contacted other applicants in the same way since 22 June. Could you please let me know ASAP if your quote forthis job has been accepted, too?
Collapse

Miriam Neidhardt (X)
Miriam Neidhardt (X)  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Engels naar Duits
I saw the job posting to... Jun 27, 2012

... and didn't apply because it smelled like scam.

To be sure why don't you test him: If he sends the prepayment by wire transfer, take it, but as soon as he offers to send you a check it's definitely scam. The check will then be issued on a much higher amount than negotiated and you will be asked to send the money back by Western Union, the check will bounce and your money will be gone.

Good luck!

Miriam

Janina Ohlemüller
Janina Ohlemüller
Argentinië
Local time: 15:34
Spaans naar Duits
+ ...
I also applied to Prof. Antonio Miccoli Jun 27, 2012

Hi Romana and Miriam,
thank you very much for your post and comments about this job offer from Prof. Antonio Miccoli. I also applied to this job and he sent me the text file, 50% down payment...the same Romana wrote. But he also sent me an address for invoice and offered me a bank Check!!!! So it´s a scam? What do you think? Romana, did you already tell him that you won´t be able to do the job? I answered him, that I won´t accept a Check and I´m waiting for his answer....but I think i
... See more
Hi Romana and Miriam,
thank you very much for your post and comments about this job offer from Prof. Antonio Miccoli. I also applied to this job and he sent me the text file, 50% down payment...the same Romana wrote. But he also sent me an address for invoice and offered me a bank Check!!!! So it´s a scam? What do you think? Romana, did you already tell him that you won´t be able to do the job? I answered him, that I won´t accept a Check and I´m waiting for his answer....but I think it would be better to tell him directly, that I won´t do this job, no?
Thank you so much for your help!
Janina
Collapse

Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Lid 2010
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Got that job, too Jun 27, 2012

Hi Romana,

I also applied for the job and was already happy that the client accepted my price. He sent me the text yesterday - which still looked professional to me. Now that we are discussing the payment terms, he says that he will pay by bank cheque although I said that it would have to be paid by bank transfer.
I was just asking a friend (also a translator) what she would do since I finally doubted the credibility of the poster and she told me that she did not trust it. He
... See more
Hi Romana,

I also applied for the job and was already happy that the client accepted my price. He sent me the text yesterday - which still looked professional to me. Now that we are discussing the payment terms, he says that he will pay by bank cheque although I said that it would have to be paid by bank transfer.
I was just asking a friend (also a translator) what she would do since I finally doubted the credibility of the poster and she told me that she did not trust it. He also sent me a postal address for invoicing.
Well, thanks God we have this forum. I just wanted to take a look and see whether anyone else had mentioned Prof. Antonio Miccoli.

Unfortunately, this has already cost us time. But still, it's better to realize it's scam before we really start to work for someone like that.

[Edited at 2012-06-27 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentinië
Lid 2006
Engels naar Spaans
This positively looks like a scam Jun 27, 2012

Based on the evidence found so far I strongly believe that this was a scam.

I advise to discontinue all communications with this "client".

A scam alert report will be issued.

Regards,
Enrique

Romana Vlcek
Romana Vlcek  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Lid
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
I accepted to do the job ... and I will recall now! Jun 27, 2012

Janina Ohlemüller wrote:

... Romana, did you already tell him that you won´t be able to do the job? I answered him, that I won´t accept a Check and I´m waiting for his answer....but I think it would be better to tell him directly, that I won´t do this job, no?
Thank you so much for your help!
Janina

Hello Janina, no, I expressly wrote him that I would like to do this job. He just confirmed a few minutes ago, with a postal address and the offer to send a cheque, just like in your case.

I am positively sure now that we have identified a scammer. Thank you all lots for your support!

Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Lid 2010
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Thanks Jun 27, 2012

Enrique, for your quick response and advice, and also to the others for sharing.
I will not respond to any mails from him anymore and block the sender so that I will no longer receive his mails.

Anne R
Anne R
Italië
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
will he be taken off? Jun 27, 2012

Enrique wrote:

Based on the evidence found so far I strongly believe that this was a scam.

I advise to discontinue all communications with this "client".

A scam alert report will be issued.

Regards,
Enrique

Hello Enrique,

Does it mean that theorically speaking "anybody" can put a job offer on Proz? (not a critic, just trying to understand whether there is some kind of control on Proz side as to whom posts and can post a job offer before that job offer is being posted?

Thank you for letting us know, hopefully that is a very rare occurence? Has never happened?

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Duitsland
Lid 2012
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
I also accepted his offer Jun 27, 2012

... but now found the forum! He offered me a cheque too, and I was unsure of what to reply. I will not reply at all, I think. Thank you!!

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentinië
Lid 2006
Engels naar Spaans
Vetting and risk management Jun 27, 2012

Anne R wrote:
will he be taken off?
Hello Enrique,

Does it mean that theorically speaking "anybody" can put a job offer on Proz? (not a critic, just trying to understand whether there is some kind of control on Proz side as to whom posts and can post a job offer before that job offer is being posted?

Thank you for letting us know, hopefully that is a very rare occurence? Has never happened?

Hello Anne,

The profile used for posting this job has been deleted.

The job posting system was designed to enable outsourcers to post their job offers to the ProZ.com community. While any business or individual can outsource via ProZ.com, jobs posted by basic site users (non-logged-in users and non-members) are checked by site staff before being made visible.

In many cases the information included in a posted job is enough to identify a scamming operation, or a job posted by an oursourcer banned from ProZ.com,and the job posts are quietly deleted.

In some cases the information included in a job post is not enough to identify a scammer and the job is approved. It is at this point that the translators' risk management procedures should begin.

Risk management should be a set of processes including the positive identification of the "client" (contact data verifiable and verified) and the verification in risk management resources such as the Blue Board, among other steps.

If you would like to learn more about how to manage risks, I invite you all to attend an upcoming free webinar offered by site staff on "Risk management for freelance translators and interpreters".

ProZ.com members can also subscribe to translators scam alert reports.

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentinië
Lid 2006
Engels naar Spaans
Scam alert message was sent Jun 27, 2012

A scam alert message was sent on this case.

Regards,
Enrique

Anne R
Anne R
Italië
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
Thank you Jun 27, 2012

Enrique wrote:

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you Enrique!

Tom in London
Tom in London
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 19:34
Lid 2008
Italiaans naar Engels
Prof. Antonio Miccoli Jun 27, 2012

I suspect it was not Prof. Antonio Miccoli, but someobody who stole his name.

Leila Lingner
Leila Lingner  Identity Verified
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Same Jun 29, 2012

Enrique wrote:

Regards,
Enrique

Leila Lingner
Leila Lingner  Identity Verified
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
I have just received identical email from different sender Jun 29, 2012

I have received an identical email to the one sent by "Prof Miccoli" -the exact same wording offering me a 50% advance payment by cheque!

It seemed very fishy to me as soon as I read the email and I am so glad I checked here to confirm my fears.

The job was advertised on proz.com (job 664517). From what I understand I can't mention the sender's name but I can tell you the first name is Mario.

Other translators please beware!

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone else got a job offer from Prof Miccoli?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »