Why the guys who write CAT software consider it's not worth to care about these stupid users?
Thread poster: Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
French to Polish
+ ...
Nov 14, 2011

Hi

Well, this post is mainly Across related but I could have written it about Trados or similar tools...

I'm reinstalling my machine.
I use a standard pattern i.e.:
- install and update the OS;
- install a sound Internet browser (e.g. Opera...)
- install a sound file manager (e.g. Total Commander or FAR...);
- install and update the basic MS applications (Office...);
- install and update all the Trados stuff (I'm happy the T2007 Suite
... See more
Hi

Well, this post is mainly Across related but I could have written it about Trados or similar tools...

I'm reinstalling my machine.
I use a standard pattern i.e.:
- install and update the OS;
- install a sound Internet browser (e.g. Opera...)
- install a sound file manager (e.g. Total Commander or FAR...);
- install and update the basic MS applications (Office...);
- install and update all the Trados stuff (I'm happy the T2007 Suite is not longer so crappy as the precedent versions and can be installed over a patched .Net... etc.);
- install all the easy and/or sure stuff;
- install the secondary software (e.g. Across...)...

And here, I spotted a MS SQL setup error described (e.g.) here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/208594-problems_with_sql_server_whilst_installing_across.html
And I realized it's a well known error...

In fact, I'm amazed nobody at Across didn't see it takes several months the oldish (more than 2 years old...) MS SQL 2005 Server Express version bundled with Across 5.0 SP1 causes serious setup problems on well patched systems.
The problem description posted by Microsoft is almost one year old and can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968749/en

The Across related solution is very simple:
- download the Across 5.0 SP1 setup file;
- download the MS SQL Server 2005 SP4 as described in the MS KB article, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913089/en ;
- replace this old MS SQL 2005 Server setup version provided by Across by the new MS SQL 2005 SP4 file.

It needs only few minutes of work of a support guy but saves hours of DIY stupid work for all the Across community...

Catspeed
GG
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why the guys who write CAT software consider it's not worth to care about these stupid users?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »