Same license, two computers, different projects possible?
Thread poster: IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:26
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2013

My Across PE license is used on two computers, with the same .cap file from a client loaded on both. The client sends projects of various complexity: some are technical so I need to consult my (physical) reference manuals at the office, and some projects are more marketing related and can be done at home.

My question: Is it possible to work with some projects/files on one computer and other projects on the other computer, without conflicts or other problems?

If it can b
... See more
My Across PE license is used on two computers, with the same .cap file from a client loaded on both. The client sends projects of various complexity: some are technical so I need to consult my (physical) reference manuals at the office, and some projects are more marketing related and can be done at home.

My question: Is it possible to work with some projects/files on one computer and other projects on the other computer, without conflicts or other problems?

If it can be done, which things MUST be done to avoid problems (e.g. same software version, OS, ...)?
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 13:26
Upload your work constantly Jul 25, 2013

Do you work wia CWU files or download/upload tasks from Server directly? If you work with Server, you are supposed to upload intermediate state to the server from place A, and download files again (with your work done A already there) when you start to work in place B.
Sure you don't need to download all the files each time, you can only download necessary ones. The main point is that there should be no "not sent to server" work on the installation you don't use currently.

KarnEvil (X)
KarnEvil (X)
South Africa
Local time: 08:26
German to English
+ ...
Should be no problem Jul 25, 2013

I do this all the time since I translate from German to English and vice versa. I have two dedicated computers for each target language. However, it is not possible (well, I have never tried it) to work on two clients at the same time. In your case that would be rather difficult. When you switch to another PC, Across may ask you if you want to use your license on this PC. Just say "Yes". The same might happen when you revert to your original PC

I would make sure that both Across and
... See more
I do this all the time since I translate from German to English and vice versa. I have two dedicated computers for each target language. However, it is not possible (well, I have never tried it) to work on two clients at the same time. In your case that would be rather difficult. When you switch to another PC, Across may ask you if you want to use your license on this PC. Just say "Yes". The same might happen when you revert to your original PC

I would make sure that both Across and SQL versions are the same. Previous versions of Across (even some specified for Win XP) worked on Windows 7 / 8. The latest version 5.7, however, works as far as I know only on Windows 7 / 8. I suggest using Win 7 or 8.

You can also back up your entire SQL database, put it on a stick and take it home (and the other way around).

Regards

Roland Fischer

Both my systems:
Windows 8
MS SQL 2012 (quite a bit faster than MS SQL 2008)
Across 5.7 55749
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same license, two computers, different projects possible?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »