Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Lionbridge PMs can "detect" the use of SDL over their proprietary CAT tool?
Thread poster: Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe just you then Jan 19, 2023

Maurits Meulenbelt wrote:

But did you read the link I posted? If you work directly for Lionbridge as a freelancer, you can use their software for free. And I have been doing both for years. If you work through some shifty subcontractor that lies to Lionbridge, then you’re out of luck. Because of course you would be.

I get what you're saying, but I can guarantee you that I have been told multiple times now by multiple Lionbridge personnel that linguists have to pay for their XLIFF software (not to download but to get a tenancy, which is required to work with the system).

Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a subagency, direct with LB Jan 19, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:
And for the OP… for some reason…
Because she doesn't have an account with LB and works for a subagency the way Samuel described above.

OP hasn’t said that’s the case, has she? I got the impression it was a direct relationship.

I find it hard to believe any agency could make money subcontracting for LB. Although it would explain some of the stuff I’ve seen.

I absolutely do work direct with Liobridge and not through any subagencies.

When I signed up with LB some 6/7 years ago, I got a username and a password. I only ever used Trados so I never needed a tenancy to work with them. Over the last years they've "cracked down" on Trados files (though this was never a problem prior to a few years ago). Finally, I wanted to look into downloading and using XLIFF editor. When I found it was not only not-free, but subscription based, I reached out about a free version and all LB personnel said no, I must pay. So I kept pushing it with Trados for a while, but have gotten sick of PMs saying the files get back to them "corrupt". So, I reached out here on Proz. After the discussions herein, I reached out again to LB help/support and they told me that my newly-onboarded-freelancer tenancy "has been archived" (they did not say why) and that as such I must purchase a new one using their subscription based plan.

I do not, nor have I ever knowingly, worked with sub-agencies. For years I worked directly with LB PMs in complete harmony. Now their XLIFF editor requirements have become so steeped in everything they do (regardless of whether or not the job offers come via e-mail or LCX) that that harmony is no more.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Easy decision then Jan 20, 2023

That sucks, but I guess you have a fairly easy decision. Either you get a lot of work from them, in which case it’s worth paying, or you don’t, in which case you can tell them where to get off without cutting your nose off.

The editor does have keyboard shortcuts btw.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:04
English to Russian
My bad Jan 20, 2023

Rebekah Olson wrote:
Not a subagency, direct with LB
I absolutely do work direct with Liobridge and not through any subagencies.
So I am completely wrong with my assumption, sorry.

my freelance account had been "archived" and there's no way to reactivate it. He told me, in no uncertain terms, the only way to work with them is to pay to subscribe to their product.
Ooh, so nice... I strongly agree with Ice Scream then.

For years I worked directly with LB PMs in complete harmony.
So did I... until they implemented their automated marketplace. I used to receive LQI 95% to 100% (correctness evaluation) for my work, but they chose to toss their jobs to unknown ones who are lucky enough to catch the bone through the automated system. In most cases they are not even individual translators but agencies who then subcontract me for the same LB jobs I previously did for LB PMs. Perfect...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lionbridge PMs can "detect" the use of SDL over their proprietary CAT tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »