Medical Interpreting: Ethical dilemmas and clarity of professional boundaries
Thread poster: Lynchan
Lynchan
Lynchan
Australia
Local time: 14:24
Apr 23, 2022

Hi, I am a registered nurse and an interpreter student.
I would like to ask how you deal with the below situations during a medical consultation assignment.

1) the client who knew my nursing background asked me for more details of
their diagnosis or treatment after the interpreting assignment.
2) After the medical consultation, the client asked me for a personal opinion on
what they should do next.

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 02:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Role of Medical Interpreter Apr 23, 2022

Hello! I’m from a different country than you so I would suggest finding out if there is a medical interpreting code of ethics for Australia. But here is the info in the U.S.:

1) Your nursing background will make becoming a medical interpreter easier because you know about medical terminology, body systems, etc but when you’re interpreting I suggest you “change your hat” so when you’re on an interpreting assignment you are an interpreter and not a nurse.

As th
... See more
Hello! I’m from a different country than you so I would suggest finding out if there is a medical interpreting code of ethics for Australia. But here is the info in the U.S.:

1) Your nursing background will make becoming a medical interpreter easier because you know about medical terminology, body systems, etc but when you’re interpreting I suggest you “change your hat” so when you’re on an interpreting assignment you are an interpreter and not a nurse.

As the interpreter we interpret exactly what the medical provider and patient say to each other without adding, subtracting, or changing anything said.

2) Interpreters should never give advice or opinions, it is against our code of ethics. In this situation you can say that you’d be happy to interpret the questions for the LEP (limited English proficient) patient with the appropriate medical staff

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

Hannah Vu
Hannah Vu
Australia
Vietnamese
Interpreter's role boundaries May 29, 2022

Hello Lynchan,

I am in Australia. I suggest that you read the AUSIT Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct. You can find it on AUSIT’s website.

Before starting an assignment, you should explain the interpreter’s role boundaries to clients. In your situation, you could say ‘sorry, but as an interpreter, my only role is accurately interpreting. If you want more details, you could ask the medical provider directly and I will interpret for you, but I cannot provide any ad
... See more
Hello Lynchan,

I am in Australia. I suggest that you read the AUSIT Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct. You can find it on AUSIT’s website.

Before starting an assignment, you should explain the interpreter’s role boundaries to clients. In your situation, you could say ‘sorry, but as an interpreter, my only role is accurately interpreting. If you want more details, you could ask the medical provider directly and I will interpret for you, but I cannot provide any advice, opinion, or guidance because it would be a breach of my professional ethics.’

Hope it will help you.
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Inga Petkelyte
expressisverbis

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:24
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Separate May 31, 2022

The both situations are clear and easy. In other words: if you were not an interpreter, what answers wouldyou give to yourself?
IMHO, interpreting doesn't give us any special rights on the medical (in my case, legal) matter.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
After the interpreting assignment? May 31, 2022

Lynchan wrote:

I would like to ask how you deal with the below situations during a medical consultation assignment.

2) After the medical consultation, the client asked me for a personal opinion on

If your interpretation session is over, you are no longer the interpreter.

IMO, your decision as to if you'd like to answer their questions should be based on common sense, not on your role as an interpreter.

[Edited at 2022-05-31 21:16 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Sharon 2022
Sharon 2022
Australia
Clarity of role boundaries Jun 1, 2022

In my opinion, people are often not clear about the responsibilities and role boundaries of interpreters, but you are a professional, must familiar with the scope of your professional ethics, just comply with the ethic then explain to the client that you role only convey what they said, you can’t not give any advice or have personal communication. As a professional you also have responsibility to educate individual to better match your work.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jun 1, 2022

1-
You could give them the exact info you are allowed to give, as a nurse, to any other patient that wasn't part of an interpretation-based health-care session.
That's the reason they warmed up to you for more details, because you're a nurse. So, answer in that precise capacity.

2-
If it's beyond your health-care "jurisdiction" and -far more importantly- into the MD's, then refrain. You don't want to seem stepping on the MD's foot.
Otherwise, go ahead.
... See more
1-
You could give them the exact info you are allowed to give, as a nurse, to any other patient that wasn't part of an interpretation-based health-care session.
That's the reason they warmed up to you for more details, because you're a nurse. So, answer in that precise capacity.

2-
If it's beyond your health-care "jurisdiction" and -far more importantly- into the MD's, then refrain. You don't want to seem stepping on the MD's foot.
Otherwise, go ahead.

You could also go the extra mile and let the MD know about patient's concerns, and when needed reconnect them with each other.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Excellent! Jun 2, 2022

Sadek_A wrote:

1-

2-
Otherwise, go ahead.

You could also go the extra mile and let the MD know about patient's concerns, and when needed reconnect them with each other.

In real life, this is the best approach!
In over 25 years of doing court, medical and all the spectrum of interpretation, this was my approach.
Many people see the interpreter's role that of a robot with a human face. I love to interact with the people I am working for and so far never-ever I got a complaint.

Sadek_A
expressisverbis

Lynchan
Lynchan
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
Medical Interpreting: Ethical dilemmas and clarity of professional boundaries Jun 2, 2022

Thank you all for your valuable opinions.
I will use your strategies in my future work.😍

[Edited at 2022-06-02 03:44 GMT]

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jun 2, 2022

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
Excellent!

Thank you very much.
Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
In real life, this is the best approach!
Many people see the interpreter's role that of a robot with a human face. I love to interact with the people I am working for and so far never-ever I got a complaint.

Integrating a personal side into the role could become necessary at times, and as long as it's for the good and benefit of everyone involved, then it's nothing to be frowned upon at all.
Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
In over 25 years of doing court, medical and all the spectrum of interpretation, this was my approach.

Best wishes for more of those successful years and of that helpful approach.

Kaspars Melkis
Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

Zoe Zhou
Zoe Zhou
Australia
English to Mandarin Chinese
+ ...
Clarity of Role Boundaries Apr 15, 2023

Lynchan wrote:

Technically, I think it is important to seperate the role of a nurse and the role of an interpreter. If you are doing the interpreter job in one scenario, you cannot be a nurse at the same time, even if you are indeed a nurse. Similarly, I am a migration agent. If I am interpreting for a client on immigration matters, I cannot give advice. I know it sounds unrealistic, but I hope that is how things work. Like my teacher said, if we go beyond the code of ethics, if there is anything wrong, it is on us...

Junyu Liao
Junyu Liao
Australia
Medical Interpreting: Ethical dilemmas and clarity of professional boundaries Apr 22, 2023

In my opinion, you need to maintain clear boundaries between your assignment as an interpreter and client’s expectation as a nurse. Many clients do not have the experience working with interpreter, but we should educate them about the code of ethics we need to follow. We could not work as both roles at the same time.
In your case, even though the client asked for your opinions after the medical consultation, you were still representing the interpreter in that occassion. You could ask the
... See more
In my opinion, you need to maintain clear boundaries between your assignment as an interpreter and client’s expectation as a nurse. Many clients do not have the experience working with interpreter, but we should educate them about the code of ethics we need to follow. We could not work as both roles at the same time.
In your case, even though the client asked for your opinions after the medical consultation, you were still representing the interpreter in that occassion. You could ask the client to consult his/her doctor directly. You were not able to provide any opinions as you were not the medical partitioner serving this client.
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:24
English to Russian
+ ...
No good deed goes unpunished Apr 23, 2023

Junyu, sorry but this is just another far-fetched and essentially non-existing dilemma ... Interpreters, especially the inexperienced ones, are well-known for the urge to get involved where they don't belong, and usually they get in trouble.

If there is any truth in the Bible, then it's What goes around comes around.

Put on your nurse hat and think about nurse ethics. I can't get the simplest couple of words out of the nurses in my doctor's office, it's always "the doct
... See more
Junyu, sorry but this is just another far-fetched and essentially non-existing dilemma ... Interpreters, especially the inexperienced ones, are well-known for the urge to get involved where they don't belong, and usually they get in trouble.

If there is any truth in the Bible, then it's What goes around comes around.

Put on your nurse hat and think about nurse ethics. I can't get the simplest couple of words out of the nurses in my doctor's office, it's always "the doctor will tell you." Imagine yourself in the situation where your client blurts out to his doctor that he did this or that because the interpreter aka an outsider nurse got an access to the information under the confidentiality obligations, and then gave an unauthorized medical advise to the patient under his care, brandishing h/h medical background. I would imagine that the doctor will have a funny question or two for you...

Did I answer your question?
Collapse

Carmen Lee
Carmen Lee
Australia
Chinese to English
+ ...
Discourse Management Aug 19, 2023

As an interpreter, you should withdraw yourself from this conversation and clarify to the client about your role of interpreter. Generally repeat the AUSIT code of ethics to the client.

Clarity Role of Boundaries - Interpreters and translators do not, in the course of their interpreting or translation duties, assume other roles such as offering advocacy, guidance or advice. Even where such other tasks are mandated (e.g. by specific institutional requirements for employees), practit
... See more
As an interpreter, you should withdraw yourself from this conversation and clarify to the client about your role of interpreter. Generally repeat the AUSIT code of ethics to the client.

Clarity Role of Boundaries - Interpreters and translators do not, in the course of their interpreting or translation duties, assume other roles such as offering advocacy, guidance or advice. Even where such other tasks are mandated (e.g. by specific institutional requirements for employees), practitioners insist that a clear demarcation is agreed on by all parties between interpreting and translating and other tasks.

Impartiality - Interpreters and translators observe impartiality in all professional contacts. Interpreters remain unbiased throughout the communication exchanged between the participants in any interpreted encounter. Translators do not show bias towards either the author of the source text or the intended readers of their translation.

Clearly advise the client that you will interpret every single word they say with minimal distortion.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical Interpreting: Ethical dilemmas and clarity of professional boundaries

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »