Thread poster: Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:30
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 17

https://res.cloudinary.com/proz/image/upload/v1708178551/kudoz/w0gqpdvuobzhpuq4qtgd.png

I would appreciate help with deciphering the handwriting on the attached document. Most important are the name of the person (presumably a soldier), place and date of birth, and military unit.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:30
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
an attempt Feb 17

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:

https://res.cloudinary.com/proz/image/upload/v1708178551/kudoz/w0gqpdvuobzhpuq4qtgd.png

I would appreciate help with deciphering the handwriting on the attached document. Most important are the name of the person (presumably a soldier), place and date of birth, and military unit.

[L'anno 19]19, [addì] 6 febbraio [a ore] 14 [e minuti] 7 ... [Io] Commendatore Francesco Vitagliano Stendardo Sindaco ed [Uffiziale dello Stato Civile di] Cava dei Tirreni [avendo ricevuto dal direttore di questo(?) ospedale(?) militare(?) [un'avviso in data] di oggi ....
[a ore] cinque [e minuti] - [del giorno] cinque corrente mese è morto in detto ospedale Kusnjeroezuk/Kusnjeroczuk(?) Fedori/Fedan/Zedan(?) prigioniero di guerra caporale(?) nel (centoventiquattresimo?) fanteria(?), seconda compagnia(?), di anni(?) trentanove(?) a Kosma(?) domiciliato ivi, figlio ignorari(?) le generalità.
Il sindaco

For the name "Francesco Vitagliano Stendardo sindaco": http://www.panoramatirreno.it/sindaci%20XX-1.htm

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-17 16:46 GMT]

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
What I read Feb 17

The last name seems to be Kusnjeroczuk - in the column on the right it is spelled with “i”, but the correct spelling is most likely with “j”.
“Cz” suggests it is a Polish last name and the first name seems to start with a “Z”, as the letter looks different from the “F” in “Francesco” and in “Fanteria”.

He was a “caporale”, military unit was “centoventiquattresima [124th] fanteria, seconda [2nd] compagnia”.

“Di anni trentanove�
... See more
The last name seems to be Kusnjeroczuk - in the column on the right it is spelled with “i”, but the correct spelling is most likely with “j”.
“Cz” suggests it is a Polish last name and the first name seems to start with a “Z”, as the letter looks different from the “F” in “Francesco” and in “Fanteria”.

He was a “caporale”, military unit was “centoventiquattresima [124th] fanteria, seconda [2nd] compagnia”.

“Di anni trentanove” means he was 39 years old, but the date of birth is not written.

“Nato a K…” (it looks like “Kosma” to me too) means he was born in K…, “e domiciliato ivi” means he was living in that same place.

“Figlio [I see “figlio” too, meaning “son”] ignorasi le generalità [“personal information unknown”]” together with “di ignorasi [literal meaning “of unknown”]” in the column on the right: I believe it means that they don’t know who his parents are as in they don’t know who to inform of the soldier’s passing.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie Feb 17

Thanks for your efforts. The name is most likely misspelt, or it is not in the available WWI records. Thanks anyway.

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Spelling Feb 17

“Kusnjerczyk” is a Polish last name and could well be the correct spelling.
And the first letter of the first name is not a “Z”, it’s a “J”.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Kosma Feb 18

"Kosma" could be the German name of the Polish village of Koźmin, which at that time was part of Germany.

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately the wrong spelling gives too many possibilities Feb 18

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI wrote:

“Kusnjerczyk” is a Polish last name and could well be the correct spelling.
And the first letter of the first name is not a “Z”, it’s a “J”.

What kind of first name could it be? Jedan/Jeodan? I'm not that familiar with Polish names. The initial reasoning behind this case was that the soldier of possibly Polish origin had been in the 124 regiment of the Russian army where he was taken POW and sent to Austria close to the Italian front and then somehow he ended in South Italy after the Austrians surrendered in 1918. While the 124 regiment of the German army was only at the Western Front. So if he had been conscripted into the German army from Kozmin, there was no way he could have been taken POW by Italians. A lot of uncertainty in this case, for sure, both with his name and place of birth.

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
First name Feb 18

For what it’s worth, based on how the first name is split in the column on the right, I can tell you that the third letter has got to be a consonant.
Had it been a second vowel, it couldn’t have been split from the previous vowel “e” like that.
So the third letter is a “d” and then it looks like “an”…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with 1919 Italian handwriting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »