Help with an Arabic word
Thread poster: Cobolt
Cobolt
Cobolt
Cyprus
Local time: 17:10
Jan 3, 2012

I just have a word to check out, its "Katamh" - it's in Arabic. It's gonna be used for the name of a resort but can't find a good translation of it. Google says its something related to "silence" so I just want to know there's no negative meaning to it.

I.E is it possible to use this Katamh word for a Resort without someone saying they have a negative word as name

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
Katamh - possible to post [or otherwise email to me] the original Arabic text? Jan 3, 2012

Greetings.

Ref your query about the term "Katamh" and its connotation.

If possible, please post, or otherwise e-mail directly to me, the original Arabic text? If that term appears inside a line of text, please post or send the whole thing.

While the triliteral Arabic verb K-T-M does relate to silence or suppression [of a noise or sound], it's hard to determine the intended meaning without more detail [i.e. entire related text].

Hope this helps
... See more
Greetings.

Ref your query about the term "Katamh" and its connotation.

If possible, please post, or otherwise e-mail directly to me, the original Arabic text? If that term appears inside a line of text, please post or send the whole thing.

While the triliteral Arabic verb K-T-M does relate to silence or suppression [of a noise or sound], it's hard to determine the intended meaning without more detail [i.e. entire related text].

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California, USA
E-mail: < shfranke [at] hotmail [dot] com >
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
katama Jan 3, 2012

I thought katama was to hide, conceal or keep something secret?

[Edited at 2012-01-03 22:13 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Hebrew to English
Could be both Jan 3, 2012

You will want confirmation from an Arabic translator/speaker but my guess would be that it can mean both. The triliteral root (كَتَمَ) probably means both in different verb forms, related to silence when used in one verb form, but concealment in another.

(Hebrew has a similar system) - and the underlying meaning usually remains essentially the same (in this case "suppression").

Although I'm not sure if the use of a triliteral root related to "supression" is a goo
... See more
You will want confirmation from an Arabic translator/speaker but my guess would be that it can mean both. The triliteral root (كَتَمَ) probably means both in different verb forms, related to silence when used in one verb form, but concealment in another.

(Hebrew has a similar system) - and the underlying meaning usually remains essentially the same (in this case "suppression").

Although I'm not sure if the use of a triliteral root related to "supression" is a good idea to use as a name for a resort....

[Edited at 2012-01-03 22:25 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Katama Jan 3, 2012

Of course in Wampanoag it means "crab-fishing place"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katama

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Hebrew to English
Triliteral root k-t-m in Hebrew Jan 4, 2012

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Of course in Wampanoag it means "crab-fishing place"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katama

Now that would be a nice associative meaning for a resort name!

In Hebrew, the same triliteral root (קטם) - (k-t-m) means to sever/chop off. A nice name for an abattoir maybe, but not a resort

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with an Arabic word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »