Participant observation on Proz fora
Thread poster: Rafael Mondini Bueno
Rafael Mondini Bueno
Rafael Mondini Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
English to Portuguese
May 24, 2012

Hello everybody,

I am to write my senior capstone in Social Sciences in the next semester, and I've been thinking of writing about translation as a social process - maybe I'll focus on consensus-forming processes regarding terminology and their "satellite" phenomena.
For this, I am considering the possibility of doing participant observation here on Proz, mostly because other methodological approaches (structured interviews, focus groups, etc) don't seem to be able to capture
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am to write my senior capstone in Social Sciences in the next semester, and I've been thinking of writing about translation as a social process - maybe I'll focus on consensus-forming processes regarding terminology and their "satellite" phenomena.
For this, I am considering the possibility of doing participant observation here on Proz, mostly because other methodological approaches (structured interviews, focus groups, etc) don't seem to be able to capture all the slight details that are involved in the sociality here. As I read in a topic just a couple of days ago, translators don't fit very well in forms, a statement which I take seriously to heart.

So, in a nutshell, do you think this approach could be more "productive" (oh, hate this word)? Do you see any obstacles to be overcome in a hypotethical fieldwork here? Do you think the translators who usually post things here would be friendly in answering some questions?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2012-05-24 21:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Participant observation on Proz fora

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »