Thread poster: Anthony Green
Lakshmi Iyer
Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:23
French to English
+ ...
random thoughts Jan 19, 2006

Susanna: my initial thought was that we're probably closest to our "real" selves when speaking the language (or languages) we learnt as children, in part because that's when you're most spontaneous, and the spontaneity carries over to adulthood.

Going by my own experience, though, I've realised it probably IS the surrounding culture that really influences our behaviour. I learned Italian as an adult, but my English and Italian-speaking selves are relatively similar: I'm louder, mer
... See more
Susanna: my initial thought was that we're probably closest to our "real" selves when speaking the language (or languages) we learnt as children, in part because that's when you're most spontaneous, and the spontaneity carries over to adulthood.

Going by my own experience, though, I've realised it probably IS the surrounding culture that really influences our behaviour. I learned Italian as an adult, but my English and Italian-speaking selves are relatively similar: I'm louder, merrier, more outgoing and confident in those two languages than I am in French. So it's not a childhood thing, and neither does it have to do with lack of fluency in French.

Any thoughts about why this is the case, since I'm not the only one who's timid in French? Perhaps one reason is that I've had to learn and speak French more carefully, as it were. I've had to think about what I say (and still do) to make sure I won't make any mistakes. When I was learning Italian, I received unqualified praise for my efforts; people pooh-poohed my grammatical mistakes and said I was doing great, so I could focus on the content of what I was saying rather than the form, whereas I've got used to people correcting my French. I'm glad they do, but perhaps, as a result, I'm less comfortable just saying the first thing that pops into my head.

Mara, that's an interesting point about amateur theatre - sounds like a great way to overcome shyness. Thanks for the tip re. the Nancy Houston book. Have any of you read an excellent book about French culture called "Sixty million Frenchmen can't be wrong" by two Canadian writers?

It's interesting that the time factor doesn't seem to make much of a difference: theoretically, the longer you spend in a country the more your "real" personality should emerge. And yet it's as if we adopt a different personality for each culture we've been exposed to and hold on to those multiple personalities, rather than the one single personality emerging more markedly as time goes by and comfort levels with the language and culture increase.

Kaveri
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Physical adjustment to certain sounds Jan 22, 2006

Susana Galilea wrote:
...Most striking physical adjustment happens in my mouth, as invariably for the first few days of my visit I will labor to produce certain sounds that do not exist in the English language.
Susana

Slightly off subject, but Susana's comment prompts me to write about one of my observations.
Certain sounds which don't exist in some other languages can be very difficult to pronounce properly for those not learning the language from an early age. The English th and w are obvious examples, and it would be interesting to hear about other sounds in other languages.
But there is another aspect to this.
For example the th requires a specific tongue and mouth movement, using facial muscles and involving the front teeth in a unique way. It seems, that by using sounds like these for several generations, a subtle change can take place in facial structure. These facial characteristics and similarities can be quite typical around the mouth area. As I said they are very subtle, but become more obvious when people are speaking and due solely to the use of a particular language, containing certain sounds to produce the effect.

sarahdillon (X)
sarahdillon (X)
Australia
Local time: 02:23
French to English
+ ...
Being a different person in a second language Mar 13, 2007

Kaveri wrote:

...Perhaps one reason is that I've had to learn and speak French more carefully, as it were. I've had to think about what I say (and still do) to make sure I won't make any mistakes. When I was learning Italian, I received unqualified praise for my efforts; people pooh-poohed my grammatical mistakes and said I was doing great, so I could focus on the content of what I was saying rather than the form, whereas I've got used to people correcting my French. I'm glad they do, but perhaps, as a result, I'm less comfortable just saying the first thing that pops into my head.

Kaveri

I second this point, Kaveri. I too find my language personalities seem to be somehow influenced by the language learning experiences I had as an adult while living in the relevant country. I am much more measured and cautious in French, and I seem to lose my sense of humour almost entirely (not at all related to being unable to express myself). I feel most comfortable and close to my Irish self when I speak German, and I haven't yet worked out how I am in Spanish yet, I'll need to think about it some more...

This is a really interesting topic, and something that had occurred to me before but I'd never really properly formulated any ideas about it. I'm off to read the Intelihealth link an earlier poster provided, and to chew on it all a bit more - thanks everyone

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 02:23
Italian to English
No different person Apr 18, 2007

Anthony Green wrote:

As a Brit livng in Italy for the last years, it has often struck me what a different person I am in one language and in another.
So today I was pleased to read about a scientific discovery which in some way I feel helps to explain my subjective sensation:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/EMIHC267/333/7228/453989.html?d=dmtICNNews

Any comments would be welcome!

Anthony Green
Bari, Italy

Hi Anthony! I'm like you....an Australian working and living in Italy. My friends and colleagues here made me notice that I tend to "think Anglo-Saxon" in any occasion. I am "myself" all the time.

Robert

AngusJohnson
AngusJohnson
Local time: 18:23
Polish to English
Response Apr 30, 2007

I have read all of the posts in this thread. I have to admit being a different person depending on what language you're currently using is an immensely interesting issue I'd like to inquire further, so I'm waiting for your contributions. I know it's a common thing for people to feel out of their usual self, as if, when speaking a foreign language, but for some reason I have never observed that with myself. I've been learning English for quite some time now and I think my knowledge is of a higher... See more
I have read all of the posts in this thread. I have to admit being a different person depending on what language you're currently using is an immensely interesting issue I'd like to inquire further, so I'm waiting for your contributions. I know it's a common thing for people to feel out of their usual self, as if, when speaking a foreign language, but for some reason I have never observed that with myself. I've been learning English for quite some time now and I think my knowledge is of a higher standard than just anybody's, but I can't imagine myself swearing or thinking in English. I mean, I know English swearwords, and I can put them in really long strings, but I'd never start swearing, and still less thinking, in it unconsciously. The same, I believe, applies to being influenced by the language of the country you're staying in. A lot of people I know with a British accent went to live in the US and, on their return to Poland, had a marked American accent. It's natural, of course, the environment passes on to us more and more elements we find ourselves more and more willing to absorb, but that's not the case with me. Never have been, actually, even though I've been to Britain, the US, and Ireland. It seems as if I'm totally impervious to any influence. To sum up, I think I only have one personality, and that will be Polish. To nip any misunderstanding in the bud, I'm not happy with that at all - I wish I could be bilingual or have multiple personalities, so to speak, as most users of this site do.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being a different person in a second language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »