Is there a tool for translating SQL scripts ?
Thread poster: RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 08:33
German to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2003

Hello

is there a tool for translating SQL Skripts ?

Thanks

Hans

Boyan Kostadinov
Boyan Kostadinov  Identity Verified
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Translating SQL scritps to what? Jan 24, 2003

What would you like to translate SQL to?

Can you please give a more specific information on your question?

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Example Jan 24, 2003

Hello,

ok, maybe an example will help:

insert into wass_schaltantrieb_absp(code, description_g, description_f, description_i, description_e, labeltext_g, labeltext_f, labeltext_i, labeltext_e, idx) values(0, \'unbekannt\', \'inconnu\', \'sconosciuto\', \'\', \'U\', \'I\', \'\', \'\', 1);

We want to translate vales of description_g and labeltext_g into english ad place them into the value field of decription_e and labeltext_e.
<
... See more
Hello,

insert into wass_schaltantrieb_absp(code, description_g, description_f, description_i, description_e, labeltext_g, labeltext_f, labeltext_i, labeltext_e, idx) values(0, \'unbekannt\', \'inconnu\', \'sconosciuto\', \'\', \'U\', \'I\', \'\', \'\', 1);

We want to translate vales of description_g and labeltext_g into english ad place them into the value field of decription_e and labeltext_e.

Thanks

Hans
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Example 2 Jan 24, 2003

Hello,

I think it is clear, that my example is only one line of thousands.

Hans

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Changing the whole script? Jan 24, 2003

Hi Hans,

what I do not understand fully is, why does your client want to change SQL queries like the one that you posted?

Does he want you to translate the whole database into English (i.e. the names of the rows of the database tables?).

It does not make any sense at all to change queries that work with the same database.

Otherwise, if he indeed wants to change the whole database, then you probably have to edit
... See more
Hi Hans,

what I do not understand fully is, why does your client want to change SQL queries like the one that you posted?

Does he want you to translate the whole database into English (i.e. the names of the rows of the database tables?).

It does not make any sense at all to change queries that work with the same database.

Otherwise, if he indeed wants to change the whole database, then you probably have to edit all the queries yourself. As far as I know there is no specific tool that can edit SQL. (Mainly, because there is no sense in editing SQL queries for the above reasons. As long as the row names do not change, the query doesn\'t need to be translated.)

Kind regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Italian to English
+ ...
This really has to do with programming, not localization, per se... Jan 24, 2003

Depending on what kind of database you\'re using, you may be able to write (or have someone write) a procedure (stored procedure in oracle) that basically looks up the german value and places the english value in it\'s proper field using some kind of lookup table. You\'re not changing the SQL in any way (that I can tell)... just substituting values. In any case, I don\'t think there\'s any getting around manual entry of some sort for the corresponding values. It\'s either going to be in the ... See more
Depending on what kind of database you\'re using, you may be able to write (or have someone write) a procedure (stored procedure in oracle) that basically looks up the german value and places the english value in it\'s proper field using some kind of lookup table. You\'re not changing the SQL in any way (that I can tell)... just substituting values. In any case, I don\'t think there\'s any getting around manual entry of some sort for the corresponding values. It\'s either going to be in the code itself or in a lookup table.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-01-24 14:56, DSC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

Hans

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-24 16:57] ▲ Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SQL insert Jan 24, 2003

Hello,

if you take a look on the skript line, you can see that we have a \"insert\" query, which mean, that all values will be inserted in a database.

Of course it will be better to extract the whole datebase entries and translate them, but at the moment we don\'t know the structure of the database. It\'s also not clear, if there other entries in the database.

At the moment we checkl these points, but possible we have to translate th
... See more
Hello,

if you take a look on the skript line, you can see that we have a \"insert\" query, which mean, that all values will be inserted in a database.

Of course it will be better to extract the whole datebase entries and translate them, but at the moment we don\'t know the structure of the database. It\'s also not clear, if there other entries in the database.

At the moment we checkl these points, but possible we have to translate the values of these sql statements.

Thanks

Hans
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Italian to English
+ ...
You can always find out the structure... Jan 24, 2003

There\'s always a way to get database/table information and structure from each DB\'s respective command prompt. Oracle uses DESC (tablename), PostgreSQL uses \\D (tablename) and MySQL uses DESCRIBE (tablename). Those are just exmaples of three common DBs out there.

From your SQL example, you must know, at least partially, what your table structure is. Otherwise, how would you know what to call each field?

Quote:

... See more
There\'s always a way to get database/table information and structure from each DB\'s respective command prompt. Oracle uses DESC (tablename), PostgreSQL uses \\D (tablename) and MySQL uses DESCRIBE (tablename). Those are just exmaples of three common DBs out there.

From your SQL example, you must know, at least partially, what your table structure is. Otherwise, how would you know what to call each field?

Quote:

On 2003-01-24 17:09, DSC wrote:

Hello,

At the moment we checkl these points, but possible we have to translate the values of these sql statements.

Thanks

Hans

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a tool for translating SQL scripts ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »