Project Package in OmegaT
Thread poster: H Habraliova
Apr 7, 2015

Hello,
I have a project that is half way through in Trados. Is there a way I could send this project to someone who's using OmegaT? I assume OmegaT won't open a project package that's been created in Trados.

I only figured our the way to import a TM from Trados to OmegaT.

Question #2 - is there a feature like Trados's 'pre-translate files' in OmegaT?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:47
English to French
+ ...
Various possibilities Apr 8, 2015

H Habraliova wrote:

Hello,
I have a project that is half way through in Trados. Is there a way I could send this project to someone who's using OmegaT? I assume OmegaT won't open a project package that's been created in Trados.

It will not directly.
A Trados project (I'm assuming Studio) is a zipped file (just rename with a .zip extension) with various components in it. Translation memories, termbases and translation files can be read by OmegaT. To convert Trados' native translation memories and termbases:
http://vannellen.com/fortranslators.php

I only figured our the way to import a TM from Trados to OmegaT.

OmegaT read TMX files.

OmegaT can also read .sdlxliff files. If no translation has been done yet, OmegaT can read them directly. If the translation has started, the Okapi plugin must be used:
http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT

OmegaT automatically "pre-translates" everything, provided the TMXs are in the /auto folder of the /tm folder.

Didier

H Habraliova
H Habraliova
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Apr 8, 2015

Thanks, let me try these solutions

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Careful with OmegaT and SDXLIFF files Apr 8, 2015

Didier Briel wrote:
OmegaT can also read .sdlxliff files. If no translation has been done yet, OmegaT can read them directly. If the translation has started, the Okapi plugin must be used...

I just tried five different existing SDXLIFF files in OmegaT (with the Okapi filter). They opened, and I made a small edit, and then pressed Ctrl+D to generate the target files. Only three of the five target files could be opened by Trados. Two of them looked okay, and the one had some extra segments (that contained no text but only tags) added to the top of the file.

Also, if the SDLXLIFF file contains tracked changes, they will be imported back into Trados as text surrounded by taglike text, and not as tracked changes.

That said, I regularly translate XLIFF files in OmegaT from another source.

OmegaT automatically "pre-translates" everything, provided the TMXs are in the /auto folder of the /tm folder.

Note that if you used "pre-translate" within Trados, and it inserted fuzzy matches into cells, then those cells will be considered "translated" (not "fuzzy") by OmegaT, and the translator will not be able to find those cells, because OmegaT does not show the segment statuses.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Project Package in OmegaT

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »