Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Have you ever been a victim of job ghosting?
投稿者: ProZ.com Staff
Mijo Schyllert
Mijo Schyllert  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:43
英語 から スウェーデン語
+ ...
Sadly,yes... Jun 19, 2023

I have been ghosted twice this year, both times by agencies I have worked with for a LONG time. Since there have been no issues with quality or delivery or anything at all, I "choose to believe" (for my self-esteem) that it's because I am too expensive - but I'm charging the same as I did 20 years ago!? And there have been no explanation, no offer of negotiation, nothing, just a slowly declining workload until total silence has descended. I have even asked (swallowing my pride) if there was a pr... See more
I have been ghosted twice this year, both times by agencies I have worked with for a LONG time. Since there have been no issues with quality or delivery or anything at all, I "choose to believe" (for my self-esteem) that it's because I am too expensive - but I'm charging the same as I did 20 years ago!? And there have been no explanation, no offer of negotiation, nothing, just a slowly declining workload until total silence has descended. I have even asked (swallowing my pride) if there was a problem at all, or if the work coming in was just less, or...? No reply. It has really hurt, as I've worked with these people for so long and we've always had good relationships, but I guess increased client pressure on them, translators that are cheaper than me, change in management style, lots of MT going on, could be contributing factors. That doesn't change the emotional slump I've been through though - I never realised my self-esteem was so closely linked to my profession...and the relationships I thought I had with the PMs. Not to mention that my finances have taken a hit, but the main toll has been emotional. I've spoken to friends (in other professions) and apparently this "ghosting" is increasingly common across the board. Cowardice and a complete lack of respect, is what I've called it in my angrier moments. Anyway, I was getting slightly jaded, what with all the MT and increased automation - I hardly felt I was actually translating anything anymore - so perhaps it's time to quit. I'm thinking of (trying to) become a book editor - I'm a compulsive reader and one of those annoying ones who spot errors and inconsistencies and often go back hundreds of pages just to check if I'm right...If anyone has any info on how to get into that business, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to have written an essay, but it's been good to get it off my chest - thank you if you've read this far!Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been a victim of job ghosting?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »