Programs and data migration to new computer
论题张贴者: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 15:33
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
Oct 20, 2008

I am thinking about replacing my old and outdated Dell computer. Dell offers a software migration utility and I would like to know if anyone has worked with this, the results, and whether it is recommended. I would ask Dell to install Windows XP Professional; I have Microsoft Office 2003 and I would just reinstall it. On the other hand, I need to upgrade TRADOS as well, and wonder if I can update it and then migrate it, or if I can migrate TRADOS at all. Would that work?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
美国
German德语译成English英语
Migrate then update Oct 20, 2008

I can't comment on the Dell utility (although I'm a Dell fan); when I've bought new computers, I've reinstalled everything.

I would suggest, however, that due to the Trados licensing process, updating the software, then transferring the license to a new computer is more trouble than just installing the update on the new computer and then going through the licensing procedure.

Moving data is no problem. I suggest that you create a separate partition on the new hard driv
... See more
I can't comment on the Dell utility (although I'm a Dell fan); when I've bought new computers, I've reinstalled everything.

I would suggest, however, that due to the Trados licensing process, updating the software, then transferring the license to a new computer is more trouble than just installing the update on the new computer and then going through the licensing procedure.

Moving data is no problem. I suggest that you create a separate partition on the new hard drive for your data files. It makes it harder for worms, etc. to infect your data. You may need to make changes in your software configuration to look for files on the other partition (it will show up as a separate drive).
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
美国
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
主题发起人
Thanks, Kevin Oct 20, 2008

I went ahead and bought me a rocket, and I can't wait to receive it. My main concern was TRADOS and I will follow your advice. I have heard and read about many nightmares there, that is why I asked and I really appreciate your input. It will come with XP Professional and I will reinstall the Office 2003 package (don't want any problems with TRADOS in that respect either) .

I hope the new one behaves as good as the old one has. I have had it for eight years and never, never had any p
... See more
I went ahead and bought me a rocket, and I can't wait to receive it. My main concern was TRADOS and I will follow your advice. I have heard and read about many nightmares there, that is why I asked and I really appreciate your input. It will come with XP Professional and I will reinstall the Office 2003 package (don't want any problems with TRADOS in that respect either) .

I hope the new one behaves as good as the old one has. I have had it for eight years and never, never had any problems, never lost anything, never got infected. But I need more speed and more RAM (which I already upgraded to the maximum allowed for the model I have). Anyway, for some time, I will keep the old one to work offline, just in case...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Programs and data migration to new computer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »