Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Wow, I am no longer allowed to get a subscription to DeepL (‘due to internal policies’)!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
img
img
United Kingdom
New user
Lodging a complaint against Deepl Apr 9

Hello.

I have registered to on this site to ask the contributors of this thread for help.

I understand that Deepl is registered in Germany, and if so, I'd like to find out how to lodge a complaint against a German company. Whom to contact, which site, etc.

To those considering Deepl I'd like to advise to be *very cautious*. This is a dishonest company. They have been charging me for 3 years for a Pro account about which I had no idea. In other words, I'd b
... See more
Hello.

I have registered to on this site to ask the contributors of this thread for help.

I understand that Deepl is registered in Germany, and if so, I'd like to find out how to lodge a complaint against a German company. Whom to contact, which site, etc.

To those considering Deepl I'd like to advise to be *very cautious*. This is a dishonest company. They have been charging me for 3 years for a Pro account about which I had no idea. In other words, I'd been paying them double: once for my own account and once for an account I've never used and never knew about. But when on a couple of occasions I contacted them about needing another couple of documents translated, they fobbed me off and told me to wait until the next month's allowance became available. At no point did they look at their system and advised me that I had another completely unused account. Otherwise, needless to say, I would have known about the phantom account sooner and Deepl would have stolen less of my money.

Recently I discovered the phantom account by accident and contacted Deepl. 'As a gesture of goodwill', they said they could refund me for 3 months of what I'd been wrongly charged. I wrote back saying that this was insulting and requested the details of their complaints department. However, from previous interactions with Deepl, my estimate of their integrity and other virtues is very low indeed, and it's possible that I've lost these 380+ euros irretrievably. But in this case, I'd like to record my experience with a legally powerful entity in Germany, so that a) other people deceived by Deepl have a precedent which could help them, b) if there are enough of testimonies like mine, German authorities might take action against Deepl and force them to operate responsibly.

Thank you in advance for the information you decide to provide.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 00:48
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Weird Apr 9

img wrote:
They have been charging me for 3 years for a Pro account about which I had no idea.

How can you be charged for 3 years whilst not knowing about it? Don't you check your account(s)?

Imo, the normal procedure would be that you notice that you've been charged for an account of which you knew nothing about, followed by contacting the company to let them know about it, immediately ending your contract and hoping they are willing to refund the cost (something they are probably not bound to do).

But complaining after 3 years and expecting to be refunded? I'm not sure about how legitimate that would be.

PS: how did you manage to create a paying account, providing all your payment details, confirming those details and still not know about the fact that you have a paying account?

Dan Lucas

kretslopp
kretslopp
Finland
Local time: 01:48
Finnish
+ ...
Feedback surveys are rarely worth answering Apr 13

You never know which providers are going to go after you for not giving a full 5/5. I usually ignore feedback surveys and try to have them go straight to the junk folder.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wow, I am no longer allowed to get a subscription to DeepL (‘due to internal policies’)!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »