PEBackupRestoreTool.exe - does this work?
Thread poster: Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Germany
Local time: 00:24
German to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2011

Hello all,

I have another question re. across, and if someone could help that would be great.

Across has a separate tool that can be used to backup+restore projects I have created locally but also those that I have edited using a cap file (i.e. downloaded from a customer's across server). The tool is here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\across\crossGoodies\Backup+Restore_PE

Instructions are provided in this folder but they are completely outdated ...
... See more
Hello all,

I have another question re. across, and if someone could help that would be great.

Across has a separate tool that can be used to backup+restore projects I have created locally but also those that I have edited using a cap file (i.e. downloaded from a customer's across server). The tool is here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\across\crossGoodies\Backup+Restore_PE

Instructions are provided in this folder but they are completely outdated ...

My questions are:

1) Under what file extension should I save the file created by this tool? Is it an MDB? The tool itself doesn't specify a file extension or add one when it creates the file (!)

2) When I restore using this tool, how do I know that it has worked (?)

I have backed up (a fairly large file was created, so it must contain something) and restored, but I can't seem to see any restored projects.

Background (so that you guys understand why I am even bothering with this):

I have completed various projects via cap for my customer. When a project is finished, the customer usually unassigns me, and I am asked then when I log on again using the cap file whether I want to delete the project. I get the same prompt for every project, so as you can imagine, the more projects I do, the more prompts I will get ...

I could simply delete the projects when prompted, but have not done so yet, as I would like to hold onto the information - in the form of an across project - for future reference (not necessarily for translation purposes, but just in case questions/queries/complaints arise on completed translations in the future).

If someone can help here, I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,

Maria
Collapse

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:54
English to Swedish
How about a backup of the TM Oct 5, 2011

Hi,

I do a lot of work with Across and always have the files assigned from my clients as cap files.

I suggest that you take a backup of your TM instead, which is what I do. That way you can retrieve it if you need it. This is done in the crossTank Manager (Tools, crossTank, crossTank Manager), simply click Export Translations and follow the instructions. After that you can accept the unassignment from the client.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I think that all tr
... See more
Hi,

I do a lot of work with Across and always have the files assigned from my clients as cap files.

I suggest that you take a backup of your TM instead, which is what I do. That way you can retrieve it if you need it. This is done in the crossTank Manager (Tools, crossTank, crossTank Manager), simply click Export Translations and follow the instructions. After that you can accept the unassignment from the client.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I think that all translations you've done for one particular client is available in crossTank for new assignments from that client, even if you have accepted the unassignment.

I have never used the tool you mention so I can not comment on that.

Hope this helps,
Asa
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 05:24
Tool should work Oct 6, 2011

1) Don't add any extension. Why do you need it? Generally speaking tool creates .zip file.
2) Your CAP file should be registered after "restore" on a clean system. So if it appears at your login screen - system was restored.

BTW: instructions from ...\crossGoodies\Backup+Restore_PE\manuals\Backup+Restoretool_PE_manual.doc are quite actual.

[Edited at 2011-10-06 07:57 GMT]

Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Germany
Local time: 00:24
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 8, 2011

Thanks to all for your feedback - Asa your suggestion sounds v. good, I will try it out. Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PEBackupRestoreTool.exe - does this work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »