IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:05
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 14, 2022

Please just stay away from this tool at all costs. You will regret it. You have been warned.

My background: I have worked in Across for ten years and translated hundreds of thousands of words, if not millions. I've been a translator for over 20 years and regularly work in half a dozen different tools. I know what I'm talking about.

I've seen Across going from a not-worse-than-other-online-tools to absolute and utter manure, while its competitors have actually evo
... See more
Please just stay away from this tool at all costs. You will regret it. You have been warned.

My background: I have worked in Across for ten years and translated hundreds of thousands of words, if not millions. I've been a translator for over 20 years and regularly work in half a dozen different tools. I know what I'm talking about.

I've seen Across going from a not-worse-than-other-online-tools to absolute and utter manure, while its competitors have actually evolved into being mostly useful. Across has almost all the functions other tools have, but implemented in its own way, i.e. with the intent to hurt translation efficiency (at which it is oddly successful).

- Sluggish performance while translating? Check.
- Sluggish performance when QA checking? Oh yeah.
- Snailpaced and feature reduced "No software installation needed" alternative available? Abso-f- rigging-lutely (looking at you crossWeb).
- Database corruptions at about every second update, requiring reinstalls and reboots? You got it.
- No built-in update function? Hooray.
- Huge installation and maintenance costs for servers and server licenses? Yeah baby.
- TM version incompatible with anything but itself, with no export features for the translator? Naturally.
- Nonexistent exporting and importing? Correct.
- Translators must adapt to whimsical tool limitations, being denied efficient work? Yes to that one.
- Nonstandard methods for selecting full words and sentences, adding to the number of clicks needed? Definitely.
- Forgets window placement every.single.time the tool is opened? You betcha.
- The game "guess where I'm gonna place this tag" is being played every time? Yup.
- A 32-bit translator application in a mostly 64-bit environment? DING DING DING you won a prize!
- ... that you must pay a yearly fee for if you want to work for more than one client at a time? LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, GIVE A HAND TO THE GRAND ALL TIME WINNER!

Across is a tool that nobody actually wants. They just don't know it yet, and consider this rant your enlightenment in the matter. I'm posting this because I care about you my fellow translators and translation managers.

The most important reasons it hasn't gone out the client's windows yet are mostly if not all political. It's being purchased by higher management looking at just the purchase costs and naively listening to salespersons. The whole mess is thrown in the face of poor translation managers and translators who have to suffer the consequences for years and years to come. Unfortunately it's not (yet) classified as a crime against humanity but I'm still hoping.

MANAGERS AND STAKEHOLDERS: Please, please, PLEASE do not believe the Across salespersons. You will regret it. The tool has gone from bad to worse and is still gaining speed. There is NOTHING to excuse choosing this tool over other CAT tools on the market. No-THING. Zip. Zero. Nada. Rien. And in every other language you can possibly think of.
Collapse

Beatrice T
Darius Sciuka
Ivana Kahle
texjax DDS PhD
Metin Demirel
Jakub Ciszak
Adriana Sandru

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The only remarkable thing about Across... Apr 24, 2022

The only remarkable thing about Across... is their salesforce! My due respect! Having been able to sell this software to so many enterprises is something I can only watch with envy I want their salesforce on my side!

Tom in London
Claudio Rondeico
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Good luck! Apr 24, 2022

Jan Kapoun wrote:

The only remarkable thing about Across... is their salesforce! My due respect! Having been able to sell this software to so many enterprises is something I can only watch with envy I want their salesforce on my side!

You're doing a good job in marketing your own app, Jan. I wish you all the luck of the world with it.

Jorge Payan

Jan Kapoun
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Thank you Hans Apr 24, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
You're doing a good job in marketing your own app, Jan. I wish you all the luck of the world with it.

Thank you Hans!
I think it's a very useful app to all translators. Too bad they don't let me advertise it here on Proz .... even when I wanted to buy the advertising space here on Proz, they just completely ignored me or even banned me from forums. I have absolutely no idea why.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
You're doing a good job in marketing your own app, Jan. Apr 24, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Jan Kapoun wrote:

I must have missed something here. What's the app Jan has developed and you're talking about?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Copernicus Apr 24, 2022

Famous Czech scholar and app.

Jan Kapoun
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It's an app for translators... I developed myself to make my translator's life easier Apr 25, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

I must have missed something here. What's the app Jan has developed and you're talking about?

Hi Wolfgang,
It's an app for translators I have been developing since 2016 to make my translator's life easier. It combines machine translation, voice dictation and various productivity-enhancing features (this Across thing being one of them) for translators to help them translate faster and more effectively... and to bypass limitations of various CAT tools.
https://bohemicus-software.cz ... hopefully Proz won't kick me out for sharing this link.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Bohemicus Apr 25, 2022

Jan Kapoun wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Hi Wolfgang,
It's an app for translators I have been developing since 2016 to make my translator's life easier. It combines machine translation, voice dictation and various productivity-enhancing features (this Across thing being one of them) for translators to help them translate faster and more effectively... and to bypass limitations of various CAT tools.
https://bohemicus-software.cz ... hopefully Proz won't kick me out for sharing this link.

Hi Jan, thanks for sharing the link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

READ if you are a new translator or consider using Across

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »