Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:16
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Jan 13, 2023

Hi Everyone,

I am using the desktop version Across Translator Basic. The icons in the toolbar are tiny.

across

Is there any way to enlarge them?

Thanks.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Magnifiers Jan 14, 2023

Perhaps with tools like these:

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/One
... See more
Perhaps with tools like these:

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/OneLoupe

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-magnifier-to-make-things-on-the-screen-easier-to-see-414948ba-8b1c-d3bd-8615-0e5e32204198

I guess that there are also magnifiers that you can limit to a fixed area of your screen, i.e. the icon bar.

[Edited at 2023-01-14 09:43 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sorry Jan 14, 2023

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel wrote:
The icons in the toolbar are tiny.

I can't help with enlarging them, but I can give you a second opinion: your icons look the same size (on my screen) than the icons of most other programs on my computer. Only Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast Pro and the new version of Microsoft Office have icons that are twice as large.

Do all these functions have shortcuts associated with them that you can learn? I find that I use most of the icons only in the beginning, before I've learnt and gotten used to the keyboard shortcuts.

[Edited at 2023-01-14 09:17 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Create a palette Jan 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Do all these functions have shortcuts associated with them that you can learn? I find that I use most of the icons only in the beginning, before I've learnt and gotten used to the keyboard shortcuts.

As an intermediate (learning) solution: create a horizontal palette with AutoHotkey that shows the functions and their keyboard shortcuts. You can position this palette above the icon bar, you can even use enlarged versions of the original icons:

Left part:
left

Right part:
right

BTW: Currently I don't have Across installed, so I cannot create the AutoHotkey macro for you. Maybe someone else can help you, if you're interested in this approach?

[Edited at 2023-01-14 11:38 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
LittleGemsAdmin's Desktop Zoom Jan 14, 2023

So, I went looking in places where software from the golden age of little utilities (i.e. for Windows 95-XP) are stored, and found something that works reasonably well on Windows 10. LittleGemsAdmin's DesktopZoom. Developer's site here, download page here (version 3.5).

desktop zoom screenshot

When you run it, select the Fixed Window tab, choose "Normal" zoom, then hover your mouse over the top left of the area and press the spacebar, and hover your mouse over the bottom right area and press the spacebar. Optionally change the mouse pointer in the Mouse tab, and press Start. To stop zooming, press Stop or move your mouse all the way to the bottom right of the screen. Note: you can't put the zoomed window over the area being zoomed (you'll get a feedback loop), but you can move the zoom window around. It's possible (but a little tricky) to resize the zoom window -- try grabbing the top corners instead of the bottom corners. You can't interact with the zoomed content in the zoom window; instead, you have to move your mouse to the area being zoomed, and then look at the zoom window.

[Edited at 2023-01-14 09:51 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 15, 2023

Thank you all for the detailed replies. I was hoping there would be a more simple solution, some feature in the software. Maybe someone from Across is monitoring this forum and might consider improving the usability of the menu.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enlarge the icons in the toolbar

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »