Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 06:01
German to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2003

I have translated three files with Trados.

I have cleaned up two of them successfully but trados won\'t clean up the third file.

This is the error I get.

(-2147417851): RPC_E_SERVERFAULT (The server threw an exception.)

File skipped!

Can anyone at least point out to me where I should look for the problem?

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Have you downloaded Trados patch? Apr 6, 2003

http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=1

I had a more or less similar problem, that has been solved by the first patch - this one is a cumulative one.

Florence \"Oddie\"

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a code might be deleted Apr 6, 2003

Elvira,

Check if you perhaps inadvertedly deleted either a red (internal) or grey (external) code.

Even an extra paragraph mark *within* a segment may cause such nuisances.

For checking codes in large files, do it in TagEditor: open file in TagEditor, open Workbench, then keep pressing \"Translate to Fuzzy\". You will be notified when there is a segment with a code mismatch.

Regards,

Csaba

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can it be due to the character set? Apr 7, 2003

The source text came from Asia and some Asian character type is used in certain places.

I have noticed that some of my German special characters became Chinese letters in some string, so I tried to change all the text font to Arial. Could this be the reason of the problem?

I have tried the Translate to Fuzzy function, but it worked fine. I was asked to retranslate 2-3 sentences, but even so I couldn\'t clean up the file.

I think I\'ll just copy paste my German text
... See more
The source text came from Asia and some Asian character type is used in certain places.

I have noticed that some of my German special characters became Chinese letters in some string, so I tried to change all the text font to Arial. Could this be the reason of the problem?

I have tried the Translate to Fuzzy function, but it worked fine. I was asked to retranslate 2-3 sentences, but even so I couldn\'t clean up the file.

I think I\'ll just copy paste my German text into a new file now, but I am still interested what might have caused this problem.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried the tw4winClean.Main macro? Apr 7, 2003

Hi Elvira,

I assume you\'re working on .doc files?

[quote]

[quote]

If you only changed the font of target and/or source text, no. If, however, you changed the entire document (i.e. including the tags): yes, possibly.

You can use the tw4winClean.Main macro to clean up without using the batch process - this usually gets the file cleaned (note that this won\'t update your TM, though).

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Apr 7, 2003

That worked indeed. Unfortunately I had already spent 2 hours copy-pasting when your reply came and I delivered the file, but as I said, such things are good to know for the future.

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
sorry I was too late, but Apr 7, 2003

you could simply have \'washed\' the file in Wordpad. I do this by opening Word pad and then cutting the text with all the codes and hidden source text and then dumping the contents in Word pad. Presto, you see all the codes disappear and you will be left with wonderfully clean target text, which you pick up from Word pad and put it back into a clean file and then rename it. I would not put it back into the old file as your entire text might be transformed into the twinmark code, which is fixabl... See more
you could simply have \'washed\' the file in Wordpad. I do this by opening Word pad and then cutting the text with all the codes and hidden source text and then dumping the contents in Word pad. Presto, you see all the codes disappear and you will be left with wonderfully clean target text, which you pick up from Word pad and put it back into a clean file and then rename it. I would not put it back into the old file as your entire text might be transformed into the twinmark code, which is fixable, but troublesome. Mail me if you don\'t understand, I will be happy to go through it step-by-step. I once cleaned off all the codes by hand in desperation, just like you did. It wasn\'t until I slowly started to understand the process of these codes. It\'s a little poorly designed. Believe me, it\'s simple. Trados is held together by a bunch of macros.

For this reason Trados is just terrible, and it take years to get to know it well. In the help section there is an explanation as to what these codes mean, but I never found the one I got last week, stating something to the effect that the \'callee\' had rejected the file. Most odd.

In your case you might simply not have given a destination to your log file, (or might have moved a directory in which the log file was located) which it needs to produce its completely useless log reports.

Again, ask for help!

Marijke

[ This Message was edited by: MarikaJoan on 2003-04-07 10:19]
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marijke Apr 7, 2003

It sounds like another good option, but after palying around with the file for a while at 2am and blocking Word a few times, I decided it\'s just easier to copy-paste because I only had about 2500 words. But I will certainly keep your advise in mind (hopefully I won\'t need it - which I somehow find hard to believe )

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Believe me, you will need it again. Apr 7, 2003

Aside from asking me, you could also join one of the many Trados mailing lists on Yahoo. See www.macroconsulting.com for more information. I have learned a lot there, but the e-mail load got too much for me to handle.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados won\'t clean up my file - Need urgent advise

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »