CAT tool for XML
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nov 20, 2023

I was wondering: is there a CAT tool for XML that doesn't need conversion to XLIFF?

(Of course it should allow the user to hide all non-translatable content.)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT, MemoQ, Trados 7, Wordfast Pro 4, ... Nov 20, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
I was wondering: is there a CAT tool for XML that doesn't need conversion to XLIFF?
(Of course it should allow the user to hide all non-translatable content.)

OmegaT theoretically offers this, but its generic XML filter isn't very powerful, so if you have a special XML file you'd have to write your own filter (which is not simple but not impossible). OmegaT parses source files on the fly -- there is no intermediary format and the conversion remains resident in the computer's RAM i.e. it is not stored in a separate file but instead OmegaT re-parses the file each time you press F5 or restart OmegaT. This is why it's so easy to edit the source text file in mid-translation in OmegaT, because when you press F5, OmegaT simply re-parses the file.

MemoQ also doesn't convert XML to XLIFF... instead, it converts XML to a database format, and the user can then choose to export the file as e.g. as XLIFF or RTF, but it is not required for the file to be in XLIFF format for a MemoQ to be able to translate the file.

Of course, Trados 7 and WFP4 don't convert the XML file to XLIFF either, but they do convert to another file format (which happens to be an XML format), so file that you work on in the CAT tool is not the original XML file. Also, both those tools don't have very powerful XML filters, so your mileage will vary w.r.t. how much untranslatable text gets hidden.

There are PO editors that can take XML files that have been converted to PO. I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to achieve -- are you trying to avoid XLIFF or are you trying to avoid an intermediary format or are you trying to get a workflow that does not involve conversion?

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 20, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to achieve

I'd like to investigate whether a well-known AuthorIT XML file can be translated directly.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
LLM Nov 20, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

I'd like to investigate whether a well-known AuthorIT XML file can be translated directly.

If you have access to an LLM, you could feed it the xml ask it to extract the strings. Then once translated ask it to reinsert the strings. If it's a known xml type there's a chance it could work.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:40
English to German
DéjàVuX Nov 20, 2023

Atril DéjàVuX can also process XML directly and offers quite flexible filtering options for including and excluding content, but it takes some time to set up the filter file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool for XML

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »