Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How best to handle a bilingual Excel file?
Thread poster: Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 18

Dear all,
I have a bilingual Excel file in which the target text is above the source text. Both texts are in the same column. So, the the text looks like the following:

Target
Source

Target
source

Target
Source

There are around 3000 rows this way. The client wants me to review/validate the target text. What is the best way to handle this task with memoQ?

Many thanks in advance!

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
. Feb 18

Make a copy of the file. Delete the source columns. Translate in MemoQ and output to Excel. Copy the translated columns over to the original.

That's what I'd do. Interested to hear if anyone has a different method.

Ali Al awadi
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Both source and target in same column Feb 18

Both source and target are in the same column (but on alternate rows) like this:

Source
Target
Source
Target
down to the end of file.

There are 3000 rows.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Why use a CAT tool at all? Feb 18

I mean, if it's just review, why not check it in Excel and make a note of the cells that have issues?

Dan

Jorge Payan

Ali Al awadi
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For consistency reasons Feb 18

Dan Lucas wrote:

I mean, if it's just review, why not check it in Excel and make a note of the cells that have issues?

Dan

The file has +3000 rows. It's not easy to keep consistency.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Suggestion already posted Feb 18

I posted a suggestion over at https://groups.io/g/memoQ/message/53752 earlier today but you don't seem to have read it.

You also posted the same question at https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/366151-bilingual_excel_file.html .

Barbara Carrara
Stepan Konev

Ali Al awadi
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Testing it Feb 18

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I posted a suggestion over at https://groups.io/g/memoQ/message/53752 earlier today but you don't seem to have read it.

You also posted the same question at https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/366151-bilingual_excel_file.html .

Many thanks, Thomas!
I'm testing it.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:03
English to Russian
Try this Feb 18

1. Import your file as a regular Excel file.
2. Open the file for translation, select all segments (Ctrl+Shift+A) and lock them (Ctrl+L, then OK).
3. Navigate to the Preparation tab and click Lock/Unlock Segments.
4. Select 'Unlock' for the Action option.
5. Select 'Rows in a different language' for the Segments to lock option.
6. Set the Minimum segment length (words
... See more
1. Import your file as a regular Excel file.
2. Open the file for translation, select all segments (Ctrl+Shift+A) and lock them (Ctrl+L, then OK).
3. Navigate to the Preparation tab and click Lock/Unlock Segments.
4. Select 'Unlock' for the Action option.
5. Select 'Rows in a different language' for the Segments to lock option.
6. Set the Minimum segment length (words) to 1 and click OK.

*You may need to create and attach a "mock" TM because you would store monolingual segments in a bilingual TM as you go with editing.

[Edited at 2024-02-19 00:15 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:03
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Create a TM Feb 19

...by naming the first cell of the second column L and the second R, copy both cells, mark the rest of the second column, paste the both cells entirely into it and then filter the entire file by the second column. Then cut below in the middle of the first column the target content and paste it into the second column. Now create a TM from your file, which you import into your project and simultaneously process it as a file (or your prepared excel file with the two columns).

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Do you have Excel? Feb 19

If so, I think the fastest way is to work in Excel, using some command (this depends on the Excel version you have) to select only odd and even rows and then copying/pasting the results side by side.

Christopher Schröder

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ali Feb 19

Ali Al awadi wrote:
What is the best way to handle this task with memoQ?

Unfortunately MemoQ can only handle multilingual Excel files that use columns, not rows. So, doing as Thomas suggests and converting the file to a format that has columns (in such a way that you can easily convert it back again) seems like a good bet. MemoQ does seem to have a feature whereby you can selectively exclude segments, by specifying the cells or the ranges, but that would only be useful if you were the *translator* for this task and you had identical text in the source and target cells.

Rachel Waddington

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Excel Feb 19

Could you please share a screenshot of your file? Not necessarily the true text, but just a layout (header, blank rows between segments, etc.). You gave two examples above:
===
Target
Source

Target
source

Target
Source
===
and
===
Source
Target
Source
Target
Source
Target
===
but they are different layouts and it does matter for the solution.

[Edited at 2024-02-19 16:
... See more
Could you please share a screenshot of your file? Not necessarily the true text, but just a layout (header, blank rows between segments, etc.). You gave two examples above:
===
Target
Source

Target
source

Target
Source
===
and
===
Source
Target
Source
Target
Source
Target
===
but they are different layouts and it does matter for the solution.

[Edited at 2024-02-19 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
...with only the target content of the FIRST column! Feb 19

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...by naming the first cell of the second column L and the second R, copy both cells, mark the rest of the second column, paste the both cells entirely into it and then filter the entire file by the second column. Then cut below in the middle of the first column the target content and paste it into the second column. Now create a TM from your file, which you import into your project and simultaneously process it as a file (or your prepared excel file with the two columns).

I was wrong with the last part, so please either take the TM file export or only the target content of the FIRST column! I guess that you can help yourself from now on and you should have caught my idea. Good luck!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Two different approaches Feb 19

https://www.excelhow.net/how-to-filter-even-or-odd-rows-in-excel.html

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Conversion in Word Feb 19

Another option is to copy and paste the table from Excel to Word, then convert it to text, then convert it to table again with the wizard set to 2 columns. This would create a two column table. Once reviewed, convert it to text and then convert it to table again, this time with one column. Paste it ... See more
Another option is to copy and paste the table from Excel to Word, then convert it to text, then convert it to table again with the wizard set to 2 columns. This would create a two column table. Once reviewed, convert it to text and then convert it to table again, this time with one column. Paste it back into Excel.

*I skipped the memoQ editing step, but I believe you know how to get a two-column table in Word with your edited target on the left and source on the right.

[Edited at 2024-02-19 20:23 GMT]
Collapse

PAS

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How best to handle a bilingual Excel file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »