Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:49
Member (2023)
English to German
Oct 15, 2023

Hallo,

I've been translating for 15 months now (German to English pair), primarily in the Software/IT and marketing fields. However, I would like to expand my portfolio and start translating for EU Institutions/ intergovernmental organizations. Moving to Brussels/Luxembourg is not an option right now and the UN organizations usually do not require German. I have been wondering about the best way on how to get started. Most importantly, how to get translation experience in this area.
... See more
Hallo,

I've been translating for 15 months now (German to English pair), primarily in the Software/IT and marketing fields. However, I would like to expand my portfolio and start translating for EU Institutions/ intergovernmental organizations. Moving to Brussels/Luxembourg is not an option right now and the UN organizations usually do not require German. I have been wondering about the best way on how to get started. Most importantly, how to get translation experience in this area.

I have a BA in American Politics and an MA in International Relations/Global Conflict. I did work for the German government before becoming a freelancer. Are there any other certifications I do require? Is this sufficient to apply to agencies, or should I volunteer for an organization to produce some translations first which I can use for my application?

Any input highly appreciated. Thank you.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Pia Oct 15, 2023

Regarding the EU Institutions only staff translators are required to live in Brussels and/or Luxembourg (though since the pandemic some work from home), all freelance translators work online anywhere in the world after being selected by means of call for tenders published in the Official Journal of the European Union and ads in some selected newspapers and periodicals. These calls cover a number of EU language combinations. The persons selected on the basis of translation tests sign a framework ... See more
Regarding the EU Institutions only staff translators are required to live in Brussels and/or Luxembourg (though since the pandemic some work from home), all freelance translators work online anywhere in the world after being selected by means of call for tenders published in the Official Journal of the European Union and ads in some selected newspapers and periodicals. These calls cover a number of EU language combinations. The persons selected on the basis of translation tests sign a framework contract.

Regarding intergovernmental agencies, my advice would be to visit each website and get information from there. Slator is also a good source of information.
Collapse

Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2023)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Tender and agencies Oct 16, 2023

Thanks for your advice. Do I even have a chance of being selected if lots of agencies take part in the tender?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Pia Oct 16, 2023

That’s a question I can’t answer. I haven’t been under contract with the EU Institutions for some time. Tenders became more complex and at the same time rates have been dropping substantially. Translation companies and individual freelance translators can both submit tenders, which I agree seems unfair. Those selected are entered in a ranking list according to the price and quality of their services. They conclude a framework contract with the EU Institution, but do not receive any guarant... See more
That’s a question I can’t answer. I haven’t been under contract with the EU Institutions for some time. Tenders became more complex and at the same time rates have been dropping substantially. Translation companies and individual freelance translators can both submit tenders, which I agree seems unfair. Those selected are entered in a ranking list according to the price and quality of their services. They conclude a framework contract with the EU Institution, but do not receive any guarantee as to the volume or frequency of work.

TRAD19 contract came into force on July 1st 2019 and will last until February 29th 2024.

https://commission.europa.eu/system/files/2020-07/trad19_list_of_contractors_.pdf

A new tender (TRAD23) was launched which closed on the 31st May 2023.

May I suggest you contact the agencies in the list of contractors?
Collapse

Fabrice Ndie

Dominik Schuecker
Dominik Schuecker
Austria
English to German
+ ...
When will the list of contractors for TRAD23 be published? Feb 29

Hi Maria,

Do you maybe know from experience when the contractor list for TRAD23 is going to be published?

Best regards,
Dominik

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Dominik Mar 3

As TRAD19 contract was in force until the 29th February, I suppose the new list will be published soon…

Anyway, I think the list of contractors will be published on the same page as the
... See more
As TRAD19 contract was in force until the 29th February, I suppose the new list will be published soon…

Anyway, I think the list of contractors will be published on the same page as the TRAD19:

https://commission.europa.eu/funding-tenders/find-calls-tender/tender-opportunities-department/translation-tenders-and-contracts_en

[Edited at 2024-03-04 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

Dominik Schuecker
Dominik Schuecker
Austria
English to German
+ ...
@Maria Mar 11

Thank you!

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:49
English to Swedish
+ ...
It has been published Mar 16

https://commission.europa.eu/funding-tenders/find-calls-tender/tender-opportunities-department/translation-tenders-and-contracts_en

And my team won...

[Edited at 2024-03-16 17:46 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Congratulations! Mar 16

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting established - EU institutions / intergovernmental organizations

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »